Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Inexpensive Chlorine Remover

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Very Inexpensive Chlorine Remover

There is a product on the market to remove chlorine from hair and skin (Swim Spray) that costs $12.95 for a 4oz bottle, on their website. If you look at the ingredients of Swim Spray, there are only two: Water and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water. I just purchased a bottle of Vitamin C crystals from Trader Joe's for $11.99. I am going to use my empty 2oz. free sample of Swim Spray to refill it with my own mix for a cost of about $0.13 per bottle (there are 908- 1/8 teaspoons in the bottle of crystals)!

$0.13 vs $6.50 for 2 ounces of Swim Spray. That gives you an idea of how much $ goes into packaging, marketing, salaries, and all of the other overhead expenses to bring a product to market.

By the way, if you there is not a Trader Joe's near you, Vitamin C crystals can be purchased online. Just use an empty travel size hairspray bottle, mix up a batch, and throw the bottle in your swim bag. After your swim, briefly rinse off in the shower, spray your hair and skin, wait a few seconds, then rinse. Now you can use your shampoo and body wash or soap as usual.

Edit: I previously typed in 1/4 tsp., rather than 1tsp. (in bold). Sorry for the mistake!
    Last edited by ElaineK; July 7th, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Changed number in bold
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Re: Very Inexpensive Chlorine Remover

Thanx for the cost saving $$$$ tip.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great tip! I'm at the bottom of a bottle right now, in fact. Yay!

Very Active Member

Are you mixing up a pint bottle and then filling the 2 oz bottle as needed? Luckily I have a Trader Joe's near me but might not GNC or Whole Foods have the Vit C crystals too?

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural.../dp/B000GFSV3M
    Last edited by msgrupp; July 7th, 2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: addition of website with material

Quote Originally Posted by msgrupp View Post
    Are you mixing up a pint bottle and then filling the 2 oz bottle as needed? Luckily I have a Trader Joe's near me but might not GNC or Whole Foods have the Vit C crystals too?

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural.../dp/B000GFSV3M
    Sure, you can find Vit C crystals at many other stores, but I believe Trader Joe's is the least expensive option. So, why not save even more $? Besides, I love shopping at Trader Joe's and supporting a company that is good to their employees and customers!

Regarding your link, those crystals are $18.49 vs. $11.99 at Trader Joe's, for the same amount.

As for my mixing plan, I just realized I made a mistake above and will fix it. It's 1 tsp./ one pint. So, I am taking 1/8tsp. and adding it to my 2 ounce bottle. And, yes, I'm doing it one bottle at a time.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

So, have you tried it yet, and does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    So, have you tried it yet, and does it work?
    I have a bottle ready to go, however, I am using up the last of my other sample bottle of SwimSpray first.

I tried this and it seems to work ok. Originally came across this in another thread (where ElaineK did some investigating); http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...l=1#post283545
    It does cut down on the chlorine smell. Also my hair (what little I have) is a little less stiff\manageable (who am kidding, I'm balding with a crewcut). I used 1 tablespoon to every 8 ounces, however I might try a lower concentration with the next batch I make.
    I have a large spray bottle (32oz) that I bought for 99 cents at a big box store. Fill it about half way and add 2 tablespoons. Don't fill the bottle all the way so you can shake\mix the solution more easily. After a swim I spray myself down and quickly rub in like suntan lotion to make sure I get everywhere. Wait a minute and then shower with regular soap\shampoo to rinse.

Edit: I used the Trader Joes vitamin C crystals as well.
    Last edited by swimark; July 10th, 2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added even more info

Blog Entries

This is a great idea, but I choose to embrace my chlorine smell.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water.
    I am very interested in hearing how well your home-made version works, Elaine. I was looking at doing something like this, but with a liquid vitamin C. From the research I did, vitamin C in liquid form has a very short lifespan, and that there was something special about the Swim Spray formula that prevented the break-down (oxidation) of the ascorbic acid. I'm no chemist, but maybe you've hit on the correct form of vitamin C (crystals) that prevents this from happening.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    I am very interested in hearing how well your home-made version works, Elaine. I was looking at doing something like this, but with a liquid vitamin C. From the research I did, vitamin C in liquid form has a very short lifespan, and that there was something special about the Swim Spray formula that prevented the break-down (oxidation) of the ascorbic acid. I'm no chemist, but maybe you've hit on the correct form of vitamin C (crystals) that prevents this from happening.
    Hey Deb!

I found this same tip on several different websites; it seems to be a common homemade chlorine remover. And, on each website, crystals were recommended. I will hunt around the house for another spray bottle, mix up a batch, and report back here. The remaining SwimSpray sample can wait...

EDIT: I found a small sample hairspray bottle and dumped the few drops that were left, washed it out very well, and mixed up a batch. I will take it to the pool tomorrow and make sure to take a long dunk in the chlorinated outdoor pool, after my workout in the indoor saline pool, since there is more chlorine out there. I will post by tomorrow night.
    Last edited by ElaineK; July 10th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks for the tip, I can't wait to try it. I might try to find the crystals elsewhere though depending on how much shipping it cost. I have just deal with the chlorine smell because I dont want to blow a lot of money on the spray.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    This is a great idea, but I choose to embrace my chlorine smell.
    I'm with you on that Kirk...that's why we swim, so we don't have to buy that expensive smelly stuff at the store. Ever noticed when you start sweating at work that all you smell is chlorine (that is if you have a job where you sweat ).
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    (that is if you have a job where you sweat ).
    I sweat 3s 3p⁵ configuration at work. My coworkers say I smell like bleach. I don't smell anything.

Kirk & James: This post is NOT for you.
    Debaru & Jayhawk: In my opinion, my homemade spray worked just as well as SwimSpray. So, go ahead, by a bottle of crystals and split it with your entire team. They will each end up with enough crystlals to last for plenty of batches of spray. And, they'll love ya for it!

I would recommend mixing up just enough for a small (4oz or less) bottle at a time, so the Vitamin C doesn't break down. Besides, it would be a lot easier to carry around than a big spray bottle.

Blog Entries

I love the smell of chlorine in the morning!

Blog Entries

I wonder if you could just dump some ascorbic acid crystals into your favorite shampoo or body wash/liquid soap?

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Kirk & James: This post is NOT for you.
    Debaru & Jayhawk: In my opinion, my homemade spray worked just as well as SwimSpray. So, go ahead, by a bottle of crystals and split it with your entire team. They will each end up with enough crystlals to last for plenty of batches of spray. And, they'll love ya for it!

I would recommend mixing up just enough for a small (4oz or less) bottle at a time, so the Vitamin C doesn't break down. Besides, it would be a lot easier to carry around than a big spray bottle.
    Awesome, Elaine. Thanks for going the extra mile and testing your remedy. I'm going to have to give this a try. I swim at noon outdoors, so I'm wondering how the Arizona heat may affect the mixture. I use a small cooler to keep my water and recovery food chilled, so I think it would be a good idea to keep my home-made spray in it as well while I'm swimming. I'll be sure to report my findings.

Awesome, Elaine. Thanks for going the extra mile and testing your remedy. I'm going to have to give this a try. I swim at noon outdoors, so I'm wondering how the Arizona heat may affect the mixture. I use a small cooler to keep my water and recovery food chilled, so I think it would be a good idea to keep my home-made spray in it as well while I'm swimming. I'll be sure to report my findings.
    I mixed up a batch of home-made "anti-chlorine spray" (1/4 tsp powder to 4 oz of water), but instead of using vitamin C crystals, I used powdered vitamin C, which I purchased at Sprouts ($15.99 for an 8 oz bottle -- good for a 6 month supply of spray). The powdered version is meant to be mixed with liquid and consumed as a drink and since Sprouts didn't have the crystal version (unless powder and crystals are the same thing), I figured that powdered vitamin C would work just as well, if not better.

Well, I am happy to report that it did. I tested it out today after my noon swim, and after arriving back at work, I asked a couple of co-workers if they could smell chlorine. Their answer -- a resounding "No".

The vitamin C powder I purchased is manufactured by SolaRay (8 oz, 5000 mg, 100% pure ascorbic acid), which is available on-line through various sellers. Here's a URL to one particular vendor: http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-vitamin-c-powder.

I mixed up a batch of home-made "anti-chlorine spray" (1/4 tsp powder to 4 oz of water), but instead of using vitamin C crystals, I used powdered vitamin C, which I purchased at Sprouts ($15.99 for an 8 oz bottle -- good for a 6 month supply of spray). The powdered version is meant to be mixed with liquid and consumed as a drink and since Sprouts didn't have the crystal version (unless powder and crystals are the same thing), I figured that powdered vitamin C would work just as well, if not better.

Well, I am happy to report that it did. I tested it out today after my noon swim, and after arriving back at work, I asked a couple of co-workers if they could smell chlorine. Their answer -- a resounding "No".

The vitamin C powder I purchased is manufactured by SolaRay (8 oz, 5000 mg, 100% pure ascorbic acid), which is available on-line through various sellers. Here's a URL to one particular vendor: http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-vitamin-c-powder.
    Definitely a less expensive option than SwimSpray! But, Trader Joe's Vit C is still the least expensive option I have seen; $11.99 for a 1 lb. bottle.

I'm glad it worked for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast