Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Immersion - Does it work?

Participating Member

Total Immersion - Does it work?

Any competitive sprinters out there try Total Immersion? Curious about results for sprinters vs typical long distance target.

Blog Entries

Re: Total Immersion - Does it work?

I believe in it. Whenever I get private coaching from my favorite TI coach, my times improve, sometimes dramatically. As for sprinting, I swam my best 100 and 200 free efforts when I was working fairly consistently with a TI coach for technique.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Very Active Member

um...when i go underwater aren't i "totally immersed"?

somehow i dont think i am understanding your term vs my term on TI.

and therefore what the heck is a TI coach?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    um...when i go underwater aren't i "totally immersed"?

somehow i dont think i am understanding your term vs my term on TI.

and therefore what the heck is a TI coach?
    www.totalimmersion.net
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inge clark View Post
    Any competitive sprinters out there try Total Immersion? Curious about results for sprinters vs typical long distance target.
    Depends on the coach. There are a few TI coaches that work with competitive swimmers. Anne Wilson, the one that works with PWB is one of the very best TI coaches and swim coach period.

A number of the coaches come from a triathlete background. They have a bit of a different focus than what competitive pool swimmers do.

I know a large number of the TI coaches. There are very few that I would let coach me or tinker with my strokes. If you have a particular one in mind, send me a pm if you have a certain coach in mind.
    Last edited by thewookiee; August 5th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    There are very few that I would let coach or tinker with my strokes.
    Yes!

TI has virtually nothing to do with sprinting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Yes!

TI has virtually nothing to do with sprinting.
    I wouldn't say that is 100% accurate. There are a few coaches that can train sprinters, as well as mid-distance to distance and stroke folks. Just most of them focus on tri swimming or more fitness minded swimmer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    I wouldn't say that is 100% accurate. There are a few coaches that can train sprinters, as well as mid-distance to distance and stroke folks. Just most of them focus on tri swimming or more fitness minded swimmer.
    That's why I said "virtually." Most of the TI teachings, however, are contrary to what sprinters should focus on.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most of the TI teachings, however, are contrary to what sprinters should focus on.
    I have no dog in this fight and don't really know all that much about TI (arguably not much about sprinting either). But I did find the following discussion along these lines:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=2806

Blog Entries

That's why I said "virtually." Most of the TI teachings, however, are contrary to what sprinters should focus on.
    Possibly, but the genesis of TI started with training Terry Laughlin did with sprinters at West Point and they saw dramatic time drops.

As wookie said, though, you have to pick your TI coach wisely (well, actually, any coach).
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Very Active Member

TI helped me learn about things like balance, efficiency, drag reduction/streamlining, core rotation - all that kind of stuff that I knew nothing about. But if you feel like you already have good form, and now just want to add speed, you might not get much out of TI. But if you feel like you need to start with the basics, TI could be very helpful. Not much point trying to make an inefficient vessel go faster. At least that is the TI approach, as I understand it, and it makes a good bit of sense.

Very Active Member

Good technique is good technique is good technique. Some coaches teach it well; others don't. Whether they are a "TI coach" is really more of a business decision than any indicator about coaching ability or swimming knowledge. I would say that the qualifications for becoming a "TI coach" are fairly laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by inge clark View Post
    Most well organized training/coaching/teaching systems do work well, given that you can suck all the good out of it, leaving away what you don't need. TI is strong at teaching balance/streamline.

Now to answer your question more specifically, none of the major players address sprinting specifically (SwimSmooth, TI), so you still need Ande here on USMS for tips on sprinter faster, faster.
    Charles G. Couturier
    Swimming / Triathlon Coach (University of Montreal / Canada)
    Founder and head coach at the Swim Training Day
    http://blog.swimtrainingday.com

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I attended a TI seminar a few years ago and was lucky enough to have Terry Laughlin himself as my coach. I loved the clinic, Terry, and everything he taught me. I have so many bad habits I would need Terry 1-on-1 for a few months to have a TI type perfect stroke unfortunately. I am more of a miler, open-water type swimmer so I cannot comment on the "sprint" aspect of your question although Leslie's is a drop-dead sprinter and world record holder so I'd agree with whatever opinion she has.
    HTFU!

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

I like TI. For sprinting, it's not a total package (strength training, kick power...), but the ideas about posture, drag reduction, and grip are solid. I like to use a TI-esque freestyle drill progression when teaching.

Effectiveness of TI just depends on skill level. If someone has not spent time as a competitive swimmer, they probably need to figure out how to hold a line, which is very difficult at first. I used to spend a lot of time watching bad swimmers, when I was in the hot tub after my workouts. They all swim the same way: sagging hips, dropped elbows, wide flailing kick, too much head motion/elevation.

Here's a video of some dudes who probably think they are extremely "fit" and "intense" doing the same stuff you can see in any public lap swim session:

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

lol

"That dive is the trademark of a swimmer"?????????????
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Participating Member

Hmmm. They look pretty fit and intense to me. Good thing they had some non-Masters folks encouraging them to swim.

Agree that TI has nothing common with sprinting - their motto is: How to swim longer without getting tired - which is more about long distance swimmers and triathlets. I watched their materials and read the book - no sprinting sets and drills there.
    Some ideas and drills from TI might be useful though for sprinters during a period when they work on basic endurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast