Thread: Need fin recommendations

Very Active Member

Need fin recommendations

I love using my fins for part of my workout, but am getting increasingly frustrated with finding a fin that lasts for more than 2 months. Not sure if I can say what brands I've tried, but, I'm looking for a fin that is not really heavy (causing cramps in feet and calves), that is not too short and not real long. Hopefully, a fin with these simple dimensions will last for more than a month or two. Thanks for any input.

Participating Member

Re: Need fin recommendations

I've got the TYR Crossblades, and they fit all of the above criteria. The only catch is you need to try them on before you buy because they run VERY small (I usually wear a 10.5-11, and bought the 11-13 size, which are actually too small). Otherwise, I've been very happy with them, and they give my legs one hell of a workout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    I've got the TYR Crossblades, and they fit all of the above criteria. The only catch is you need to try them on before you buy because they run VERY small (I usually wear a 10.5-11, and bought the 11-13 size, which are actually too small). Otherwise, I've been very happy with them, and they give my legs one hell of a workout.
    Seconding. I wear a women's 8-8.5. The fins are supposedly sized in men's sizes, but I bought the 7-9 and it fits me just about right.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

We tested fins a couple of years ago for SWIMMER magazine. You can watch the video here:

I got a pair of the TYR EBP Burner fins during that testing. They are just now starting to split in the area of the big toe. I like these fins a lot and will probably buy another pair.

Anna Lea Matysek

Very Active Member

Hi Anna, thanks for the video. I watched it awhile ago, but it was good to take a "refresher course" again. I really appreciate that you all took time to review all those fins for us swimmers! I must be mistreating my fins--I really loved the Speedo Optimum training fin, but when they changed the fin, they barely lasted a month before the toe pocket would split. Switched to the TYR Crossblade--they feel heavier on my feet--they split within 2 to 3 months. In the past, my fins used to last until they fell off my feet from being so stretched. I'm mystified as to what's happening now that is causing them to split like this.

Blog Entries

I've had the hydra II's since November. Used them almost daily, never rinse them, and they remain in my car's trunk roasting. Good as new even with frequent AFAP abusive kicking.

They are a silicon mold and the flex has not changed either

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I've had the hydra II's since November. Used them almost daily, never rinse them, and they remain in my car's trunk roasting. Good as new even with frequent AFAP abusive kicking.

They are a silicon mold and the flex has not changed either
    Hi Steve, who makes the hydra? Googled it, with no luck.

Anna, I was about to order the Club Swim training fins, but they've been discontinued. : (

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Hi Steve, who makes the hydra? Googled it, with no luck.
    Ooops, They are actually called the HYDRO T2
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4004.htm

They fit slightly wide.

Also, the foot is a semi enclosed fit with for a big toe slightly shorter than the index toe (second piggy). For me, the big toe is slightly longer than the next toe and it was too tight in the area. I just cut open a hole in the silicone to relieve big toe pressure, they still held up after that.

Blog Entries

i love my burner fins...but they are really short and float your legs up high..it can become uncomfortable with long kick sets with the board..

I guess it's all what one wants out of a fin b/c there are such huge differences. That said my goals were: low stress on knees, low buoyancy and closely mimic full stroke.

I chose the Finis PDF after owning a lot of different fins. Low stress as both knees redone and want to preserve them. They aren't very long and aren't very wide in addition to having adequate flexibility. Low buoyancy as I don't want them to be have a pull buoy effect. Mimic full stroke or kick rather. They have a slight inward camber to them that mimics my slightly toe in kick position. A big wide fin puts my hips, knees and feet much further apart than I would ever swim with my full stroke and also forces one to kick with a straight forward foot. Lastly, since I really only use them for breaststroke that is the real 'kicker'. It's the only fin I have been able to use to help me develop some kind of acceptable breaststroke kick. The PDF helped me develop in the sense that my kick was so pathetic that I could never achieve any kind of adequate propulsion to practice the stroke at the front end. It also lets me practice longer on the breast with my bad knees by taking some of the force off them. Save the kick for racin!
    Last edited by vo2; September 3rd, 2013 at 06:07 AM.