Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Middle-to-late March

7 31.82%
  • Early April

11 50.00%
  • Anytime is good.

2 9.09%
  • Don't care, because if Wookiee has been using that pool, his leftover hair will slow me down.

2 9.09%

Thread: Timing for a meet.

Blog Entries

Timing for a meet.

My masters team(Chattanooga River Rats) is looking to host a scy meet this spring. We are trying to decide when is the better time to host the event.

We are deciding between middle-to-late March or early April. There are some that think a mid-late March would be good time. This would be before the entry deadline for nationals, so someone could attempt to make a nqt. Others think that a tune-up meet in April would be better, since people can swim 3 events without nqt's.

If you were looking for a spring scy meet, what would be your idea time?
    Last edited by thewookiee; August 20th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Timing for a meet.

Spring nationals are at Santa Clara. I would guess that only a handful of people -- if that -- in your target audience (ie, within driving distance of Chattanooga) will care if this meet is before the nationals entry deadline.

I would schedule it based on the timing of other events that are nearby.

Blog Entries

Well, I would like to come, cuz my son lives in Clarksville, so conceivably we could sneak in a visit w/him. BUT, I have a meet I always go to in St.Pete, FL the last weekend in March, sooooo, I personally would prefer mid to later April. And I think Chris is right - I personally at least, will not be going to Santa Clara next spring. I have my sights set on San Antonio the next year though!!!

Very Active Member

I like the idea of an April meet. I'd prefer late April even because I like getting good racing in until right before a taper meet. There are not enough clubs that will host within the last 4-6 weeks before a big meet.
    Since a meet in Chattanooga would finally give me another good reason to drive that 90min up North, I would definitely come (if it fits in my schedule)

Blog Entries

My preference would be April as well, and I would definitely try to make the trip up there for it regardless of timing.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Britt03 View Post
    There are not enough clubs that will host within the last 4-6 weeks before a big meet.
    Touché

Oh boy, that was a tough one. Although I really, REALLY, REALLY wanted to select your last option, I opted for late March.

Although I won't be going to Santa Clara (I'm opting for Montreal and Maryland
    ), a late March meet is a possibility for Chattanooga, since I live within driving distance and may choose to attend the meet. In early or mid-April, Georgia Tech will be having their spring meet which I plan on attending.

Whenever you choose to schedule the meet, I do hope you skim all of your hair out of the pool, unclog the drains, sweep the deck, clean the showers, and otherwise de-Wookiee the entire facility.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

What Chris said.

There's a meet at MTSU in Murfreesboro that you probably want to avoid, and two meets in Atlanta (the St. Pats meet at Dynamo and the Rainbow Trout Spring Splash at Ga Tech). If you avoid those, you might attract some people from the Nashville/Murfreesboro area and from Atlanta. I don't think there's any risk of conflict with the NAC spring long course meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    What Chris said.

There's a meet at MTSU in Murfreesboro that you probably want to avoid, and two meets in Atlanta (the St. Pats meet at Dynamo and the Rainbow Trout Spring Splash at Ga Tech). If you avoid those, you might attract some people from the Nashville/Murfreesboro area and from Atlanta. I don't think there's any risk of conflict with the NAC spring long course meet.

That's right! I forgot about the St. Pat's meet at Dynamo. Both St. Pat's and Spring Splash draw good attendance.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Cheryl and I spoke today. She gave me the tentative time frame for their meet. We will avoid those dates. Does anyone know the tentative dates for either St. Pats or the Trout meet?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    Cheryl and I spoke today. She gave me the tentative time frame for their meet. We will avoid those dates. Does anyone know the tentative dates for either St. Pats or the Trout meet?
    Hey Wookie, I've got two teammates with Chattanooga family connections. They both raised eyebrows at the prospect of a Chattanooga meet. We all go to the Feb Auburn meet so I'm not sure if we would prefer something closer to February or further away. Doesn't really matter to me.

Blog Entries

St Pats meet is usually the weekend AFTER St. Pats - but they don't always have the meet. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    Does anyone know the tentative dates for either St. Pats or the Trout meet?
    Both of those meets tend to be scheduled rather late (frustratingly). I could not find contacts. As I recall, the St. Pats meet tends to be in mid-March, and the Trout meet in mid-April.

One thing you might try is to contact someone on the Georgia LMSC Board, and ask them.

http://www.georgiamasters.org/w/GAM/board.cfm

I don't live in your area so wouldn't be at the meet regardless of date. But another thing you'd want to keep in mind is Y Nationals. It is usually held in mid-April and quite a few swimmers in the southeast use it as their SCY taper meet.

Blog Entries

I voted for April as that's when I hit a meet further west from TN (Oklahoma and Arkansas). Over the past few years I've been able to hit meets in April should I choose to do so, if I miss one then it's from my own laziness, not a scheduling conflict. My