Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirate swimming local lakes?

Cool Pirate swimming local lakes?

We have a number of lakes here in "Lake County" that I would like to swim across. Not because of great distance, but because I want to swim across them. There are a dozen or so above 150 acres. I have put together a list. I'll obviously have to check water quality and it's an approved lake for swimming, not a marsh, etc. I have the ISHOF "Swim Safer" bouy and plan on doing them when boat traffic is light (early am). Most will be 1-2k wide. Are there others of you out there doing this? Am I a trend-setter or is this a known malady? Some think me crazy but I think it would be fun....

Blog Entries

Re: Pirate swimming local lakes?

When do you plan on doing this? Where will you start? I'm just over the state line in Kenosha county and might like to join you. i won't be able to tell you whether or not you're crazy, except to say that I would love to do this too and everyone calls me crazy for most of the things I come up with.

Blog Entries

Envious! this sounds like a fun way to spend a weekend!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this is what is intended by the phrase "pirate swimming", but groups ranging from 2 to 11 people have been swimming across Shaver or Millerton lakes every weekend all summer.

Blog Entries

I try to search out for new lakes/OW venues to swim as well. Sounds like you are being safe, which should be priority, then have some fun. I join a group in the Berkshires of Mass for their Wednesday night swims when I am able to - always more fun with a group. Enjoy!
    ..<))><

I feel like I have to start soon. Probably next weekend. I think the swims necessarily have to be across and back. Diamond Lake on Saturday early AM?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michaelreed77 View Post
    I feel like I have to start soon. Probably next weekend. I think the swims necessarily have to be across and back. Diamond Lake on Saturday early AM?
    Just looked it up on google map and looks good. Depending on where you start and where you swim to, is that a 1.5 to 2.5K round trip? I'm doing my 5K postal on Saturday morning; but I could do Friday before work or Sunday early.

I like the idea, please post when and where . I will join if able I live way west.
    Grayslake has always looked appealing to me! Dirk

Well, okay how about Sunday morning at 7:00 AM (too early?) at Diamond Lake. There's parking on Diamond Lake road South of the Lake and we can enter the water there. Probably have to go across and back, because I haven't seen a non-private yard/dock to exit on the North side. I doubt it's a mile across and back. I was figuring every 5 minutes is about 300 yards (50-second 50s) of travel which should include getting one's bearings and such. I was planning on swimming across Forest Lake tonight on the way home, but it looks like rain is on the way!

Blog Entries

Well, okay how about Sunday morning at 7:00 AM (too early?) at Diamond Lake. There's parking on Diamond Lake road South of the Lake and we can enter the water there. Probably have to go across and back, because I haven't seen a non-private yard/dock to exit on the North side. I doubt it's a mile across and back. I was figuring every 5 minutes is about 300 yards (50-second 50s) of travel which should include getting one's bearings and such. I was planning on swimming across Forest Lake tonight on the way home, but it looks like rain is on the way!
    7AM is fine; Diamond Lake looks like it's about 45 minutes from my house, so not a bad trek at all. Is that the parking at Diamond Lake Rd. and Rays Ln? Google map, which I'm looking at now has it labeled "Mundelein Park and Recreation" and it looks like the only public access. I just went to Geodistance and measured a point from that beach directly across the lake (following the same line as Rays Ln) to the point jutting out just north of the inlet between Oakdale Ln and Taylor Lake Ct and it comes up just over half a mile across, so just over a mile round trip... looks like fun. We should look into hitting another lake on Monday morning while we've still got decent weather.

I checked it out this morning at 7:15. The lake was calm with zero activity. There is free public parking next door to 820 Diamond Lake Rd. This is adjacent to a pier and we can enter the water there. Smooth as glass & quiet! There's a small apartment building and then the Park District beach is after that. Same side as the beach you found. I don't think they'd like us swimming past their bouys... Okay, I'm planning on being there Sunday. Looking forward to it!

Very Active Member

Keep posting as you conquer each lake. It sounds like a great goal.

We swam across Diamond Lake and back this morning. ISHOF bouy worked great. Considering Gray's Lake tomorrow. Early AM was a good call since we beat the jet ski crowd. Forgot to time it but probably 30 minutes total.

Blog Entries

We swam across Diamond Lake and back this morning. ISHOF bouy worked great. Considering Gray's Lake tomorrow. Early AM was a good call since we beat the jet ski crowd. Forgot to time it but probably 30 minutes total.
    Yeah, what a great way to begin September! I put the photos on my blog entry here along with a screen shot of the geodistance route:

http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?300...mond-Lake-swim

The route measured .3663 miles, so the round trip was just under 3/4-mile; I think you were probably right this morning when you guessed 10 minutes out and ten minutes back, we probably swam about 20 minutes.

Grays Lake looks inviting too. From Jones Island Park across the lake long ways toward Grayslake Cemetery is .53+ miles, so that would be a good mile+ round trip. Dirk, if you're out there, where is a good place to meet? Mike and I are planning on 7AM again.

Michael, Alex, I will meet you at Jones Island Park at 7am. I am about a 1:45 minutes away, I will do my best to be there on
    time. PM me you cell numbers and I will call if too late. Dirk

Blog Entries

OK, here's my blog post on our swim at Grays Lake this morning. Perfect conditions... check out the pictures of park, lake, and map/route here:

http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?30082-Grays-Lake-swim

Blog Entries

Really cool! Great write-ups, Alex
    ..<))><

Be we plundering any lakes this Sunday?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPD View Post
    Be we plundering any lakes this Sunday?
    Arrrgh, we should! I looked at Lake Zurich and they have a no swimming regulation except in designated swim areas (this is like Lake Andrea, my home lake). How about something in the Chain of Lakes? Any ideas?

I've got conflicts on this Sunday due to family matters, sadly. I have to go down to Chicago... The Chain is a little scary because of high traffic volumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast