Thread: Recovering from Surgery

Participating Member

Recovering from Surgery

Just found out that I'm going to need surgery to have an appendeceal mass removed. For some background, I had been experiencing some chronic GI issues for about 6 months, but I pretty much ignored it as I was obsessively (as my wife puts it) training for summer Nationals. Anyway, after NATs, I saw my Dr., and he referred me for a colonoscopy. Had that done yesterday, and they diagnosed the appendeceal mass. Anyway, in the next month or so I will be having surgery to have it removed. Since this will require an incision in my abdomen, I'm wondering how long this will keep me out of the pool for. I'm thinking it's going to be at least a few weeks, possibly longer. Anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Re: Recovering from Surgery

My appendix ruptured mid-late jan. '68 during freshman swimming season in college. They hadn't diagnosed it as a ruptured appendix, so the incision is about 3-4" long in the middle of my gut (emergency exploratory surgery). I had peritonitis and a drain from the incision for about 1 week after surgery as I recall and the incision took awhile to heal due to the infection or whatever (ugly scar). I tried to get back into practices after about 3-4 weeks from surgery in order to finish the season - but the coach eventually spotted me and wouldn't let me practice. It took about 2+ months before I could fully stand erect and begin to swim again. My appendix and I were in very bad shape by the time they did the emergency surgery, and it was surgical procedures from 40+ years ago. Hopefully you will fare much better today and be able to recover much quicker (maybe 4-6 weeks?) - you might want to ask the Dr about how fast to push it so you don't tear something they stitched up. In the mean time, you'll gain more respect for you core . Good luck and think you'll be back before you know it.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Participating Member

I had my appendix removed when I was a youngish teenager and in full swing of competitive swimming. I got back in the water as soon as the stitches were out. (Not that I necessarily recommend that, btw. Recover fully, feel ready to workout out, have your docs okay, then go back.) The main thing I remember, like Sojerz, is that at first it's really hard to stand up straight because that stretches your abs. Flip turns are stressful when you first get back in the water because they involve your abs too.

My personal, limited observation is that swimmers have appendicitis more than the general population.

Best of luck!
    There is something more terrible than a hell of suffering--a hell of boredom. -Victor Hugo

Participating Member

Thanks for the replies. I was figuring flip turns where going to be the big issue when I do get back in the water.
    I'm going in for a CAT scan next week, as the Dr. is not sure if there is any more of the mass outside my intestine. Good news was that he said it was probably not a cancerous growth.