Thread: El Segundo SCY meet (Dingbat!)

El Segundo SCY meet (Dingbat!)

Please allow me to do some out loud thinking here....

So, I went to a swim meet Sunday, El Segundo SCY meet.
    I think I'll have to chalk this one up to the 'learning experience'

Quick digression:
    Thank you Wayne for putting together a very nice meet.
    I liked swimming in that pool. Seemed fast and very comfortable.

Now, onto the dingbat part....
    200 free was my first event... I was doing really well, and thought I finished pretty strong, look up at the time, and it saw, um... WAY too fast. I look up at my teammates who were cheering me on, and they're going, are you okay???
    I'm like .... huh?
    Then it dawns on me... I was supposed to go another 50 !!!
    No, I didn't turn around and try to do it, I scratched it.
    I didn't think of it right away, I could have finished, even with a slow time, and picked up a few points for the team... double DUH!
    (BTW, my Coach and teammates are the best when it comes to lifting your spirits!)

I think this one is going into the "I can't believe I did that" category.

I kind of knew going into this weekend that I wasn't going to be all there for the meet. Had a tough couple weeks - work, lack of sleep, pms, and some other emotionally taxing stuff going on... So it's okay, I'll do better next time.

The rest of the meet, it was a mixed bag... I did 1:20.00 in the 100 free, which is my personal best, and OMG , this is the first time that I did not come in last in my age group!!!! So, thats' a milestone. Although... I felt like I could have been smoother in that race... Compared to the way I felt at recent practices.

After that was 50 free, and my technique fell apart on that one. Plus, one of the timers, nice old guy, got me all irritated (I know, I know, I shouldn't have let it bug me, normally it wouldn't)... but Man, he was standing right in front of the block, writing something down, I couldn't get on the block, the official is whistling for us to get on the block, and the guy is still bent over writing down stuff from the previous heat, and I can't get on the block without... um, getting pushy. I tried to get his attention about 3 times to ask him to scoot off to the side, but he was not hearing me, and not paying attention to the officials.
    I have a tough time getting pushy with nice old people who are trying their best, but are inadvertantly in the way... So, somehow, I managed to get around him, and get up on the block in the nick of time...
    My 50 free was not memorable. 2 seconds slower than my best from just 3 weeks ago. And I knew it was not gonna be good, the whole race just didn't feel right. My coach says it didn't look right either... heh, no kidding

Then the 500 free.. it was my first 500 SCY. I seeded 7:55 (converted from 400 free SCM) and did 7:38.07, with very even ssplits, and a faster finish. So, I'm pretty pleased with that one - for the firat one. Now I have something to build from in that event.

Overall, it felt like I just didn't have the energy to stay focused yesterday... and I kind of knew that was going to be the case going into it. Oh, yeah, I forgot, I was drinking Mylanta the night before, like it was going out of style, something really upset my stomach, but it seemed to have stabilized (emptied out) by the meet.

Well, all things considering, I still managed to do really well in the 100 1.22 faster than the last meet. I'm pleased with that one. Even though I pooped out at the meet, looks like I've made progress over the last 3 weeks, since the last meet. Thats' a good thing.
    At the morning workout today I actually felt really good. Too bad the meet isn't today!
    -Connie
    I'd rather be swimming http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/

Very Active Member
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Anyway, I would not have swam as much events as you did. I couldn't get this coming Sunday off from work so I'm missing the local meet here. I'm going to the larger meet in March since I took that period as vacation. Its nice at these meets that you are able to beat one person in your age group.

ConnieKat, the 200 free could have been much, much worse...

I remember a meet in high school, JV championships, where the entire heat before mine got DQed. I didn't see it, but heard that the swimmer in lane 1 went out like crazy, stopped at 150 to climb out of the pool and throw-up! Evidently, the rest of the heat saw him stop, and they all stopped and climbed out.

As I was seeded 6th, and the DQ'ed heat had seeds 7-12, it made my race a whole lot easier.

(The lesson? Sometimes you need to lead off your lane in practice, to count how far you have swum, instead of following the leaders. )

Re: ConnieKat, the 200 free could have been much, much worse...

Originally posted by mattson
    I remember a meet in high school, JV championships, where the entire heat before mine got DQed. I didn't see it, but heard that the swimmer in lane 1 went out like crazy, stopped at 150 to climb out of the pool and throw-up! Evidently, the rest of the heat saw him stop, and they all stopped and climbed out.

As I was seeded 6th, and the DQ'ed heat had seeds 7-12, it made my race a whole lot easier.

(The lesson? Sometimes you need to lead off your lane in practice, to count how far you have swum, instead of following the leaders. )
    Wow! the whole heat? Okay, that puts things in perspective!

Lead? Yea, I'm just starting to get fast enough to lead the slow lane. I've done that more often lately. Also, most of the time we don't have to circle (there's room) so you wind up counting for yourself anyway.

I think I have a little passive-agressive streak about numbers... I can't remember a phone number from the time I look it up, till I pick up a phone and dial it. I used to say, being an engineer, I'm on numbers overload all day long, when I'm off the clock, I don't wanna have anything to do woth numbers.
    Besides, being an engineer, anything past #3, we use a calculator.
    Okay, I'm exaggerating here, but there is a grain of truth to it.

I also a little saying, for myself... "You know, paying attention every now and then ain't gonna kill you. Not paying attention might!"

I've been know to tune out... Lot of times it helps me concentrate, like on a normal day. But when there's too much stuff, I wind up tuning out little too much. I guess.
    -Connie

Originally posted by cinc310
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Anyway, I would not have swam as much events as you did. I couldn't get this coming Sunday off from work so I'm missing the local meet here. I'm going to the larger meet in March since I took that period as vacation. Its nice at these meets that you are able to beat one person in your age group.
    oh, 4 events was not that big of a deal. I usually do that, plus a mile at the beginning. Being that freestyle is my only stroke so far, I usually sign up for all of the freestyle events. Then, usually there are about 2 relays (there weren't any in this meet)....
    So on average I swim 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 500 free and a 1650... and another 2-50's or 2-100's in relays.

I used to say, One day when I actually DON'T come in last in my age group that I'll get really excited. Well, it happened
    Sooner than I thought.

Actually, all my results are happening sooner than I thought, and I still don't feel like I know much of what I'm doing... well, theoratically I know a lot more than I'm able to put into practice.
    -Connie

For all those who have not been to our January meet, it runs very fast. There are not a lot of time to rest for the next event. Even some of the great swimmers (Eric Hochstein) scratched some races.

So for you to swim as much as you did was great

I have run this meet for 5-6 years now, I love letting people have fun at the meet. Connie, did you win any prizes? I could have used one of those towels myself, and I did win my heat But no prizes for me.

Actually that was the first time I ever swam at one of my meets. I usually am so busy I can't talk to anyone. I only swam the 50 breast, with NO warmup, not recommended. I was lucky not to pull anything, and the time was at least one second slower than I thought it should be.

Just remember that what you do in January does not count. You will get better, faster. Hopefully you will swim at the Regional Championship meet. Your team should be in the race for the team title. I still remember my first SPMA medal. I did not win in breaststroke, SPMA had 6 of the top 10 in the US I got second in the 200 fly, long course meters.

By the way, your team web site is amoung the best. Everyone should look at http://mastersmvnswim.org/

For those who like long course meter (NOT me) Mission Viejo is hosting the 2005 USMS National Championship. There are videos on the web site, way cool. also one of the few teams with at least two Olympic Gold medal winners.

Very Active Member
    Well, the SPMAdoes have one of the best breaststrokers in my age group, the 45 to 49 year old women. Karen Malek. Maybe, I'm spelling her name wrong but her top competitiors are Collete Crabbe and Melinda Mann . Crabbe from Oregon and Melinda Mann from Wisconian. They hold most of the breaststroke records in my age group. As for Wayne, I think I look thru the archives and he had a number ranking in 50 meter breaststroke. Wayne, I like the 50 meter and 100 meter,even if its rougher. It seems I did better in them than yards last year and the NQT's are easier than the yard ones.

Hi Wayne
    Thank You for for such kind words!

I'm very glad I had a chance to meet you face to face, and watch you swim!!! Both were a treat.
    I really liked the idea of the prizes for the heat winners. Very nice touch. No, I didn't win any of the heats I was in. I was eyeballing the towels, they were really nice!

I'll be in the zone meet... I'm becoming a 'Meet Groupie" , I really like going to the meets.
    I've had a chance to get involved with helping Coach Mark Moore with various team business items, in addition to the website.
    I got lucky to wind up on his team... He's a great guy!
    what I was getting to is... I'm on the committee for Marketing and Promotions for LCM Nationals on '05... So, I'll be going to just about all meets in our area, and the national meets between now and then, even if I don't swim... there's a lot to learn!

Oh, also, we got a few pics from your meet up on our site:
    El Segundo Meet
    -Connie