Thread: Finis Foil Monofin

Finis Foil Monofin

Anyone here own one? I was thinking about getting one of these as both my girlfriend and I are starting to pay attention to our underwater dolphin work more.

Did you find it helpful? Gimmicky? Pros..Cons?

Thanks!
    Last edited by vo2; September 10th, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: new product

Participating Member

Re: Finis Foil Monofin

I've heard good things about the Foil. It's nice that it's all one piece and made from rubber. Do NOT get the Wave monofin. The blade is plastic and I've had 3 pairs that ALL cracked. It's just a poor material choice. If you can afford one, the fiberglass models are awesome for more serious training. They're expensive though - hopefully you and your gf wear the same size shoe...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vo2 View Post
    Anyone here own one? I was thinking about getting one of these as both my girlfriend and I are starting to pay attention to our underwater dolphin work more.

Did you find it helpful? Gimmicky? Pros..Cons?

Thanks!
    Have you been dolphin kicking a lot with long blade fins already?

I like the fibergalss Finis Shooter better than the Finis Foil. To me, the rubber one is not too much different than fins and too floppy. But the Shooter can be harder on the joints at first.

I use the foil for underwater shooters and some fly kick sets. It's also nice for fly swimming sets as well. Good starter monofin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    I like the fibergalss Finis Shooter better than the Finis Foil.
    I took Fortress's recommendation on the Shooter and LOVE it.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Great stuff thanks all. As luck would have it someone let me try the all yellow one last night. Finis Foil I believe? Felt great on my knees which is huge since I have about $50K invested in rebuilding them If anyone has one for sale on here let me know please.....or I might just hit up SwimOutlet in a week or so. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Have you been dolphin kicking a lot with long blade fins already?
    I have a Shooter and like it; never tried the Foil. But I agree with the implicit advice here: Just use single-foot fins at first. A pair of fins is a much more versatile training tool than a monofin, and cheaper too. And if you are still on the steep part of the dolphin-kicking learning curve you'll get more out of fins than out of a monofin that's harder to move and to control.

Blog Entries

I have both - the Shooter is much more demanding on knees and ankles. If you don't have a lot of flexibility in your ankles or if you're at all iffy in the knees, I'd go with the foil.
    Aside from being "floppier" than the shooter, the foot pockets on the foil are angled so that your heels are separated a bit and it's a lot more natural than the [perfectly parallel position the shooter demands.
    I'd get the foil and use it for a while and if when you feel you want a bigger challenge, go for the shooterl.