Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MASTERS - Personal best in 30's ???

Blog Entries

Re: MASTERS - Personal best in 30's ???

That rocks Miriama
    Congradulations

Very Active Member robertsrobson's Avatar

I also did personal bests for my 50/100 breast in my mid thirties. I stopped training at 18 and, while I occasionally played at it, only trained regularly from 34 on. I do 3 hours a week in the pool, and try to do the same on land. I'm 40 this year and wouldn't rule out doing more - it's not so much a physical challenge, but one of time and lifestyle. I'd love to get close again over 200 breast - probably don't do enough pool time to actually PB again, but hey ho - other things are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Slovakia1980 View Post
    Just let you know ......... On Saturday I have swam my first race after 15 years and wow it was great. I did my personal best for 50m breaststroke - 0:39, 57 and also did quite well on 200m freestyle - 2:27, -- (where my 1st 100m was 1:08) ... very pleased , can not wait to do more training ;-) ...
    Wonderful news, Miriama! Keep up the training and best of luck! Hope to see you in Europe one of these days.

Blog Entries

I found this somewhat interesting:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/...decreased.html

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Fascinating article. Thanks for posting the link.
    I've always suspected that one major contributing factor to declines with age is mean time between injuries/illnesses (MTI). This seems to be the demise of many professional basketball players, for example. Each injury or illness leads to performance loss and if these events are more closely spaced, it becomes harder and harder to come back to form, let alone improve

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Pasadena, CA. Home of Ballatore's Bouncers
    Blog Entries

I couldn't do PB in my best events in my thirties, but did get close. I did do a PB at 38 in the 100 back - 59.1. I had never broken a minute before. I nearly equaled my best 200 fly time at age 40.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swimspire View Post
    Wonderful news, Miriama! Keep up the training and best of luck! Hope to see you in Europe one of these days.
    Thank you. I will be competing soon again in almost 3 weeks time in British Gas ASA National Masters and Senior Age Group Championships in Sheffield (25-27/10) and then I am planning to swim in Slovakia nationals in April next year.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    I couldn't do PB in my best events in my thirties, but did get close. I did do a PB at 38 in the 100 back - 59.1. I had never broken a minute before. I nearly equaled my best 200 fly time at age 40.
    Wow that is great, well done.

Participating Member

I have found my old swimming diary and to my surprised all my records has been swam when I was only 14 years old, although I was swimming until I was 17..... I am not sure if that is a good news or bad......., anyway I am still going to try to improve them ;-) hahhahaha

I'm **55** and I am close to my 18 year old time, but not quite there yet. I did not swim competitively between 18 and 53, although I did swim here and there for exercise, so I never lost the muscle memory. At 18, I did about 28.5 in a 50 meter free (admittedly a midling time, which is why I didn't bother in college). I recently did 26.3 in practice in a 50 yard free, which is about 29.2 in meters. Haven't gotten there in a meet yet, though.

Admittedly, I don't have the muscle tone I did then, but there are other factors that partially offset that:

1) I gave up pot, alcohol, and smoking...I used to sometimes get up for practice hung over and while I wasn't a regular smoker, I would smoke when I went to a bar. Giving all that up certainly helps. Not sure it is an issue for everyone...a little weed didn't seem to hurt Michael Phelps.
    2) Strength training...I never lifted a weight back then.
    3) Much better knowledge of nutrition for pre and post workout and on race day.
    4) I swam for a club team back then...we started practicing on Memorial Day and stopped when the season ended in August. I did NO swimming in the off-season (others did, but I didn't). Now, I swim all year round.
    5) I have asthma now which is being treated. I am pretty sure I had it then and it was undiagnosed and therefore untreated.
    6) Getting some coaching on technique, some formal, and some just by hunting around on the internet. With the internet, you can find all kinds of tips on bettering your technique and on drills. Back then, unless the coach decided to say something, you were pretty much on your own.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Miriama
    You are 33 years old, you were competitive swimmer in Slovakia
    you recently have joined masters swimming club
    Your question is
    - Is it possible with the right training to swim faster now (33 years old) then when I was 17 y.o.??????
    is it possible? absolutely yes without a doubt
    easy, NO, possible yes
    Good luck & have fun

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    Hi Miriama
    You are 33 years old, you were competitive swimmer in Slovakia
    you recently have joined masters swimming club
    Your question is
    - Is it possible with the right training to swim faster now (33 years old) then when I was 17 y.o.??????
    is it possible? absolutely yes without a doubt
    easy, NO, possible yes
    Good luck & have fun
    Thank you ande. At the moment I am reading your block "Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster" and I just love it - great tips!! Thank you. .................anyway I have been training so hard and swimming faster every week, but last Wednesday my shoulder/ arm started to hurt, so I have stopped the training immediately and had 3 days off ( okay one day was gym training - stretches, cord ex.), on Sunday it was still very bad so I have swam only for 30 mins. I have tried everything - cold and hot, cream, medications .. nothing is helping :-( .. I am going to see physiotherapist on Thursday, the problem is that on Friday I will be swimming in British National Masters championship, I have entered for 6 swims (50, 100, 200, 400, 800m freestyle and 100 IM) ......my 800m freestyle time is the fastest time in my age category so I was really looking forwards to go and do my best ...... but now I feel like I just want to cry, I don't know if I should still go , will be able to swim, if I do will make it worst.....

Thank you ande. At the moment I am reading your block "Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster" and I just love it - great tips!! Thank you. .................anyway I have been training so hard and swimming faster every week, but last Wednesday my shoulder/ arm started to hurt, so I have stopped the training immediately and had 3 days off ( okay one day was gym training - stretches, cord ex.), on Sunday it was still very bad so I have swam only for 30 mins. I have tried everything - cold and hot, cream, medications .. nothing is helping :-( .. I am going to see physiotherapist on Thursday, the problem is that on Friday I will be swimming in British National Masters championship, I have entered for 6 swims (50, 100, 200, 400, 800m freestyle and 100 IM) ......my 800m freestyle time is the fastest time in my age category so I was really looking forwards to go and do my best ...... but now I feel like I just want to cry, I don't know if I should still go , will be able to swim, if I do will make it worst.....
    Hi Miriama, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. This is a high risk when the will and determination to succeed is greater than your physical abilities and your stroke technique.

As I mentioned to Steve in my post on The Breaststroke Lane, "many injuries can arise from either over-training or inconsistent training so its good to take it slow and keep track of what you're doing".

Working with swimmers who have gone through what you are currently experiencing is precisely why I started my online coaching site, to be able to aid swimmers in developing an innovative approach to swimming and an efficient stroke technique that will help avoid injuries. As you read in my article, The Motivation to Train, it is very important to take a consistent and steady approach to swimming after having been out of the game for awhile.

For now, in addition to the physiotherapist, I would recommend focusing on kicking and drills that don't involve your injured arm. This way you can keep developing your strength while allowing your shoulder to heal. Your physiotherapist will be able to give you advice as well. Hope that you heal quickly!

Participating Member

Hi Miriama, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. This is a high risk when the will and determination to succeed is greater than your physical abilities and your stroke technique.

As I mentioned to Steve in my post on The Breaststroke Lane, "many injuries can arise from either over-training or inconsistent training so its good to take it slow and keep track of what you're doing".

Working with swimmers who have gone through what you are currently experiencing is precisely why I started my online coaching site, to be able to aid swimmers in developing an innovative approach to swimming and an efficient stroke technique that will help avoid injuries. As you read in my article, The Motivation to Train, it is very important to take a consistent and steady approach to swimming after having been out of the game for awhile.

For now, in addition to the physiotherapist, I would recommend focusing on kicking and drills that don't involve your injured arm. This way you can keep developing your strength while allowing your shoulder to heal. Your physiotherapist will be able to give you advice as well. Hope that you heal quickly!
    Thank you so much. I am trying to stay positive, but at the moment I just feel very disappointed ;-( ... I believe it happened because I have been over- training myself, started 4 months ago from doing nothing - doing 5 swims and 2 gym workout per week... so a lot, but I have to say - I was really enjoying it and wasn't going to extremes, every training was fun - hard but fun, tried to have as much rest as possible too,..... also I have lost some weight - I am already slim but lately I was told that I started to look skinny ( which I don't thinks so ;-)..... anyway I have booked myself for Stroke Analysis Session with Video Analysis for next months ... I would like to see my freestyle stroke technique and see what I could improve ;-) ..... I just wish I could just swim this weekend - I feel I deserve to be there!

Blog Entries

approach to swimming and an efficient stroke technique that will help avoid injuries.
    exactly.

Most of my shoulder injuries were from inefficient stroke

Participating Member

What a great weekend. Silver medal for 800m freestyle and two PBs! Wow I am swimming faster in my 30s then when I was 17 y.o. !!!!! There is still lot what I can improve - my start is slow, dolphin kick, streamline and so on and on... By the way this is my video for 50m freestyle - please I would be very grateful for any advice. My PB was 29,50 ( I was 16 y.o.) - now I swam 29,27 ;-) ..lane 3.

What a great weekend. Silver medal for 800m freestyle and two PBs! Wow I am swimming faster in my 30s then when I was 17 y.o. !!!!! There is still lot what I can improve - my start is slow, dolphin kick, streamline and so on and on... By the way this is my video for 50m freestyle - please I would be very grateful for any advice. My PB was 29,50 ( I was 16 y.o.) - now I swam 29,27 ;-) ..lane 3.
    Congratulations, Miriama!! Glad you were able to swim so successfully.

Very Active Member robertsrobson's Avatar

Well done! I forgot to look out for you after the earlier discussion. I did a lifetime best at the weekend, for my 100 breast! I've posted the video in the 'breastroke lane'.

Blog Entries

Miriama,
    That was a good display of speed, congratulations! 29.27 is faster than my SCM 50fr up to 1 year ago.

Even with being late in reacting you managed to breakout faster and carry your speed to the wall in 14s. With caffeine for reaction, and flutter kicking endurance for the last 15m, I bet there's several 10th's or more available for your next meet.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by robertsrobson View Post
    Well done! I forgot to look out for you after the earlier discussion. I did a lifetime best at the weekend, for my 100 breast! I've posted the video in the 'breastroke lane'.
    wow Well done, great swim ! Congratulation!! This was my first big competition after 15 years and I was very nervous, but I am sure it's not my last one !!!! I can not wait for next year... I am ready to do more training now. Hopefully we will meet next time and say hello to each other ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast