Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly Question

Participating Member azwaterbaby's Avatar

Talking Silly Question

I know this is silly but sometimes when I'm swimming at night in a pool with just the underwater lights, I get a little freaked out...especially if the pool is uncrowded and quiet. I know that I've watched too many horror movies and read too many scary books, but does anyone else ever experience this feeling? I was just wondering if I'm alone in my paranoia or if there are others out there too.

...and by the way, yes, I do laugh at myself for this.

I did notice there's a certain feel or atmosphere to the pool in the evening, when there's noone around.

It doesn't freak me out though, I start thinking, skinnydipping.
    -Connie
    I'd rather be swimming http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/

Very Active Member
    Well, maybe the creature from the black Lagoon will get you. That ages me a little but I didn't see that movie until in was on TV int he 1960's.

Blog Entries

Wink

I'm with ConnieKat on this one!!! Clothes are gone, feel the water sliding over your body.............:

It sounds as though Chris has been watching the wrong movies, and the other folks have been watching the right ones. Maybe you just need to have a weekend of watching movies with sex/love scenes in pools, while avoiding the ones where the killer is waiting for the half naked young woman to get out and reach for her towel.

There's a good aquatic love scene in Sex and Lucia, although that was in the ocean. Don't watch that one around kids or with your parents, though, nor if you're the least bit prudish. I think Cocoon had an interesting aquatic love scene also, although it was a little weird with the energy burst bouncing all around the place.

I grew up on the mediterranean coast...
    Swimsuits there are optional (in a lot of places)

Which reminds me, the idea of fitting into a bikiny in time to go to Italy (FINA) has just moved up a few notches on my priority list.
    20 pounds to go...
    [*smack* that's it kitty! paws out of the Cookie Jar!!!]
    -Connie

oh yeah, I have creepy thoughts

thank goodness I don't swim at night too much...but I used to imagine a dead body in the pool...awful I know.

Now though, the pool is such a controlled environment that it doesn't scare me as much as whn I was younger. Plus there are giant windows...and bright lights.

BUT, at the Y I used to go to, it was indeed a freak fest--dimmy lights in the yellow color, and the water on top looked black. no windows, hazy light, big-ass pool...oh yeah, I'm swimmin to get away from somethin'!

Also, Once in a high school swim meet a pool really freaked me out. It was old and all mosaic tiles--tiny little tiles. Again, dim light, no windows, eekk! I swam my best 100 breat ever, as I was imagining getting chased in the water. It worked, I got forst place and it was a huge meet!

Participating Member StcSwimmer06's Avatar
    I went to Florida for vacation and the hotel pool was only empty enoigh to swim laps at night so i would go out ( yeah outside there was no indoor). and i would always imagine alligators.lol
    ~Amy
    You'll pass out before you die.

Participating Member azwaterbaby's Avatar
    I think Shaky's right and that I need to change my selection of movies. Although I do have passing thoughts of the killer waiting in the shadows I mostly think of...Jaws. Yeah, it's insane all right, not to mention impossible, but there it is.

Originally posted by azwaterbaby
    I think Shaky's right and that I need to change my selection of movies. Although I do have passing thoughts of the killer waiting in the shadows I mostly think of...Jaws. Yeah, it's insane all right, not to mention impossible, but there it is.
    Or, it might be that I'm strange... I don't think much about sharks even in the ocean.
    -Connie

Oh no swimming at night is the best! Especially, if its just you, and your significant other, and if the deck area around the pool is more like a pretty terrace with landscape lighting, very little direct lighting on the pool (except for the underwater lights that shimmer with the water movement) and a deep dark blue sky with stars winking back at you, because they know what you are up to. Even swimming in the surf at night is great! The only thing you can really see is the foam on the waves and the lights from the beach cottages. You have to swim completely by feel, by the push and tug of the waves.

This reminds me, I need to suggest that our local Y have a couple of "swim under the stars" night this summer.

Lainey

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Shaky
    There's a good aquatic love scene in Sex and Lucia, although that was in the ocean. Don't watch that one around kids or with your parents, though, nor if you're the least bit prudish. I think Cocoon had an interesting aquatic love scene also, although it was a little weird with the energy burst bouncing all around the place.
    There's also one in the movie Swim Fan. Had to get that one just on the name alone. Howveer, the movie is pretty cheesy!

Very Active Member Dominick Aielloeaver's Avatar

Unhappy Night Swimming

When I was Younger ,I use to do almost all ocean swimming, and swim till it was real dark. But then I saw the picture Creature from the deep lagoon. Aftre seeing the picture, it did put some fear in me. As you know when you are kid 13- 14 , your immagintion can run away with you. But I must tell you I did contiune to swim at night. But kept close to shore. Always looking for that creature

Very Active Member
    Don't worry about swimming nude in Italy. I was interested in the history when I visited there. This was the only time I went abroad and now I saving for my old age. I even brought back two Romulus and Remus statues of bronze sucking the she-wolf.

Originally posted by cinc310
    Don't worry about swimming nude in Italy. I was interested in the history when I visited there. This was the only time I went abroad and now I saving for my old age. I even brought back two Romulus and Remus statues of bronze sucking the she-wolf.
    I grew up next door to italy, I've done several "cultural trips" through it. Been to Rome and Milan, and Venice, and FLorence, the Colloseum, The Vatican, Villa Medici, the Villa of Romeo and Juliet... More than I can remember in 10 minutes or less.
    That was in my teens and 20's when I used to be a geeky bookworm.
    I got enough culture to bore most people out of a social conversation.

Now, in my 30's I've reverted to my second childhood (or maybe just a late bloomer), I'm going for fun!
    -Connie

Very Active Member
    I just a history bluff from age 12 years old. I even know the years of Cicero and Caesar and Pompey's births. 106 BC for Cicero and Pompey and Caesar either 102 or 100 BC. I did also seen the medieval period in Italy too. Milan is interesting since their is a church there that was suppose to be the church of Ambrose. Ambrose famous for the conversion of Augustine to chirstianity. Augustine the author of Confessions and the City of God. I did go to the Dolomites in Cortina, the 1956 olympics were held.

[silliness]
    Cicero? Caesar? Pompey? If they don't have multiple swimming gold medals, then they are just a flash-in-the-pan of history. Are we supposed to know these people?
    [\silliness]

How did we get from skinnydipping to history anyways?

I'm not in a mood for serious stuff, I get enough serious stuff at work. When I get home I wanna get skinny... oops, I mean, silly.

I've been suffering from too much work and not enough play. And, I need a boy-toy!
    -Connie

Very Active Member
    Well, maybe you meet several Italian men that well pinch you on the butt in your skinny swim outfit. One of them pinch me when I was wearing shorts. Cicero, Caesar and Pompey did the Roman Breaststroke. Serious folks, they could all swim according to the miltary training of Roman officers.

Originally posted by Conniekat8
    How did we get from skinnydipping to history anyways?
    Didn't the Romans and Greeks swim naked? See, it all ties in somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast