Thread: Southern Pacific

Blog Entries

Southern Pacific

Ground floor opportunity.

A City in Los Angeles County is looking to re-start their USMS program. The USMS program fell apart when the coach left to coach another team a few years ago. I am completing all the groundwork to re-start the new team.

I have been in discussions with the Facility Director to discuss what the facility can provide. I will be having a meeting later this month to discuss the benefits of USMS to the facility, and to the City of having a sound USMS program in place.

In May the City will be having their annual health fair. This will be a great opportunity to have a booth to promote USMS, and the new team. I will be attending the next Parks Commission meeting in February, to discuss how the Parks Commission can support the new USMS team. The Marketing Chair for SPMS has agreed to attend the health fair with me to do promote USMS and the new team.

I have spoken to lap swimmers in the pool who were previous members of the former team. The swimmers are excited about the return of USMS to their City.

If you are interested in forming a new team from the ground up please send me a message. I will answer general questions here. Specific information, such as exact location, will be provided once I have spoken to the Parks Commission.

Regards,

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Southern Pacific

Why all the mystery about a new/old club being restarted? As Yoda would say, there is no try, only do or not do.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Blog Entries

For the same reason you don't tell anyone where you favorite fishing spot is.
    This location has so much going for it, its amazing the USMS program fell part.
    I also shows that there was no contingency plan in place.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

USMS programs usually fall apart because of structural (mostly money related) problems or personality problems. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a contingency plan for that sort of thing. On the other hand, if a program was working pretty well in a municipal pool, it is incumbent on the city to have a plan in case a coach quits. Still, if you think keeping this location secret is good for anyone but you, you are mistaken. Help goes to programs, not people. But if you have plenty of cash, time and money to make the club viable again on your own, go right ahead.

There are plenty of locations that have lots going for them, but there are three crucial parts that all must be present at the same time to start and keep a club going: (1)People, (2) facility - as in a pool, and (3) Desire for a program by the entity. The last one is often the killer. Cities, Schools and YMCAs do not always know the benefits that USMS clubs have to offer. A well produced presentation made to the right person or committee (who can make a decision about pool availability) can make a difference, but even that may only get a foot in the door. Execution of the program will make it a continuing success or doom it to the scrapheap of good ideas.

A favorite fishing spot is easy to share, you still have to know how to fish to exploit the knowledge.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Blog Entries

Michael,

You are correct. That's why I reached out to USMS, Mark Moore, and others for assistance.