• 400 IM

14 20.29%
  • 1650 free

7 10.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: most feared event

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: most feared event

I didn't vote, because I have no fear of either of those events, and I have "raced" them all. I say "raced," because my times weren't exactly lightning speed- especially my 200 fly. Having swum a non-stop 2000 fly, I know I can swim 200 fly with no problem. Racing 200 fly is another story. The key for me is using pwb's race strategy to make sure the piano doesn't come crashing down on my back!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I fear having to race someone for 20 or so minutes straight, so I chose the 1650. I think in the 200 fly and 400 IM sound interesting and challenging but there is just nothing appealing to me about racing freestyle for long distances in a pool.

And my most feared event is the hour swim, but it wasn't an option. I'll be happy if I never do *that* again!

Blog Entries

Oh. My. Goodness. The only reason the 200 fly beats out the 400 IM in horribleness is because in the 400 IM you at least can flop on your back after the 100 fly. Going more than 37.5 yds fly is challenging for me, and to be avoided. I think you should have had an option like A&B

Blog Entries

Best swimming advice I ever got: The toughest race you'll ever swim is your 2nd 400 IM, because on the 2nd one, you get on the blocks absolutely knowing how much this is going to hurt.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of those 3 events, I don't fear any. I do respect them all though. The 200 Fly isn't really that bad (when I'm in shape) as I am a flyer by nature. The 1650 is all a mind game, and also comes back to how you've been training as to how hard it really will be. The 400 IM, while switching strokes, has just the right amount of speed involved to make things quite painful about 1/2way through it. My make it or break it point is right when I push off for the first breaststroke streamline/pullout, I know then if the remainder of the race will be great or not.

I also agree that the 200 Free is one of the harder races for me NOW. Back in college, it was a controlled sprint all the way.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    You must have a warped sense of fear to have put the top two greatest events in this list and one that easily makes the top 10 list. Alas, I could not participate in your poll.

I think if you want an accurate poll, you should include all events.

My top 3 most feared events would be:
    1. 200 free - ain't nobody know how to swim this godforsaken mess that can't decide if it's a sprint or a mid-distance race. SCY, SCM or LCM -- no matter which way you cut it, this race is hard, unfathomable and unbeatable.
    2. 50 free - screw up the start, turn, breakout, or, heck, even breathe one too many times and your race is shot. But, hey, even if you remove the turn in long course, this event also sucks as, after about the 30 meter mark, when you've taken your allotted one breath, your vision starts to fade into the tunnel and, in the midst of your hypoxic haze, you swear you start talking with ghosts of swimmers past.
    3. 200 long course breast stroke - If I can't swim at least 60% of my breaststroke via underwater pullouts, there's gonna be ugliness.
    The 200 free is probably the most strategic race in all of swimming. Being a distance swimmer by nature I really do not know how to swim it. Do I go out fast? Do I build into that third 50, or do I rely on my conditioning to make a move during the back half of the race?

Of all the events listed in the poll, I think that the 400IM is probably the most difficult event on the list. I am a bit biased because my backstroke and breaststroke are atrocious!!!!

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think perhaps the 200 breast would be my most painful event. Not for me, but the aggregate pain of the spectators who watch it would be greater than my personal pain in any other event.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    I think perhaps the 200 breast would be my most painful event. Not for me, but the aggregate pain of the spectators who watch it would be greater than my personal pain in any other event.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    I didn't vote, because I have no fear of either of those events, and I have "raced" them all. I say "raced," because my times weren't exactly lightning speed- especially my 200 fly. Having swum a non-stop 2000 fly, I know I can swim 200 fly with no problem. Racing 200 fly is another story. The key for me is using pwb's race strategy to make sure the piano doesn't come crashing down on my back!
    I've raced 400 LCM fly, 800 LCM IM, 800 SCM fly, 800 SCM IM, and 1650 SCY fly in meets; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events.

There is nothing to fear - it will hurt like hell and the last 50 you will question life, the universe and everything. The secret to a rewarding 200 fly in long course, especially as a Masters swimmer, is to loaf-cruise-sleep-through the first three laps, use that third turn for all the air you can grab, and then build the last 50. Honestly, the only good 200 LCM flys I have ever swum (and my fastest times) were swum with this strategy. In addition to removing a lot of the pain typically associated with this event, you finish looking so strong (and passing other swimmers who have 'gone vertical') that it almost doesn't matter what your time is!
    I follow the same strategy; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events.

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Of those 3 events, I don't fear any. I do respect them all though. The 200 Fly isn't really that bad (when I'm in shape) as I am a flyer by nature. The 1650 is all a mind game, and also comes back to how you've been training as to how hard it really will be. The 400 IM, while switching strokes, has just the right amount of speed involved to make things quite painful about 1/2way through it. My make it or break it point is right when I push off for the first breaststroke streamline/pullout, I know then if the remainder of the race will be great or not.

I also agree that the 200 Free is one of the harder races for me NOW. Back in college, it was a controlled sprint all the way.
    The only thing we have to beer is beer itself.
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Blog Entries

The 200 fly is a handful of pain, but, strategically, it is dead simple to swim and you know exactly when the pain's going to hit (somewhere between the 130 and 160 mark), so there's no surprises and, hence, no fear.
    Yeah, but what about when you get about 90 yards in and you're already starting to feel fatigued? That's a real "uh oh" moment! I think you "pain between 130 and 160" is very optimistic from my experience.

And I agree the long course event is a whole 'nother ball game. Steve's comment about you can see the curvature of the earth on the last length was very apropos.

Very Active Member StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fear = 200 Fly
    Pain = 200 Free

And yet --- this is what I have had the best finishes in doing! I just take what others shy away from.

Any 200 event you care about and swim as fast as you can is going to hurt.200s are just long enough to totally discombobulate you if done properly.If you can climb out of the pool immediately at the end of the race,you didn't swim it right.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Any 200 event you care about and swim as fast as you can is going to hurt.200s are just long enough to totally discombobulate you if done properly.If you can climb out of the pool immediately at the end of the race,you didn't swim it right.
    Climb out of the pool? I'm lucky if I can just make it under the lane lines and to the ladder after a 200!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Climb out of the pool? I'm lucky if I can just make it under the lane lines and to the ladder after a 200!
    A sign you may have swum it right.
    Last edited by Allen Stark; February 1st, 2014 at 03:36 PM.

most aversion = 50 free

most apprehension = 200 Fly
    C.J. Rushman
    ASCA Level III USA/Masters Certified Coach
    USMS Great Lakes Zone At-Large Director
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Then you have never seen me swim the 200 breaststroke. Coaches use to ask my coach what drills I did for breaststroke, so they could take them out of their practices.

Participating Member

You must have a warped sense of fear to have put the top two greatest events in this list and one that easily makes the top 10 list. Alas, I could not participate in your poll.

I think if you want an accurate poll, you should include all events.

My top 3 most feared events would be:
    1. 200 free - ain't nobody know how to swim this godforsaken mess that can't decide if it's a sprint or a mid-distance race. SCY, SCM or LCM -- no matter which way you cut it, this race is hard, unfathomable and unbeatable.
    2. 50 free - screw up the start, turn, breakout, or, heck, even breathe one too many times and your race is shot. But, hey, even if you remove the turn in long course, this event also sucks as, after about the 30 meter mark, when you've taken your allotted one breath, your vision starts to fade into the tunnel and, in the midst of your hypoxic haze, you swear you start talking with ghosts of swimmers past.
    3. 200 long course breast stroke - If I can't swim at least 60% of my breaststroke via underwater pullouts, there's gonna be ugliness.
    Thank you all for making me laugh so hard I almost cried. My non-swimming husband couldn't figure out why these posts are so funny. As a sprint freestyler all these events sound like living hell to me, which is why I generally avoid them altogether. Hats off to all of you who are braver than me. But I agree with the 200 free. It's got a serious identity problem and no matter how you approach it it causes substantial pain. During the 50, the pain doesn't start until the race is 95% done, during the 100, the pain starts at the 75 - all expected and planned for. The 200 is a different animal. It's so hard to avoid taking it out too hard and then spending 100 to 150 yards thrashing about in utter panic and exhaustion or taking it out too slowly and feeling reasonably good until you see the lousy time on the score board.

Very Active Member david.margrave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

200 fly in my case, as i have never swam it.

400 IM yards only twice in my life, once in H.S. once in Masters.

as i progress in years and it becomes unrealistic to match old masters times, I try to branch out into different events. unfortunately I am running out of events and 200 fly is one of the few remaining options

Very Active Member david.margrave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i dont think i can alter the poll to include all events. next thread

i have a feeling 200 fly would still win a poll that included all events

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast