Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Summer Nationals

Re: 2014 Summer Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by swimshark View Post
    Next time! By the way, I moved to the east coast from Oregon. My profile picture is of me at MHCC Nationals with my OMS cap on.
    Oh! I think we met last summer in Mission Viejo! You know a lot of the Oregonian peoples I think I know who you are, but you probably do not know me. If we meet again, I'll be sure to introduce myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Matt,

So sorry to hear of your injury! Hope you heal quickly and get back to the pool.

You can use the down time to read all of Rushall's papers on USRPT!!

Be strong.

Glenn Gruber
    Thanks Glenn. Trying to stay strong mentally so that I can keep focused on getting better. I know it's going to be a long road to get back to where I was before the accident, but hopefully I can get there by next summer.

And yes, lots of down time to read Rushall's papers on USRPT!!!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Oh! I think we met last summer in Mission Viejo! You know a lot of the Oregonian peoples I think I know who you are, but you probably do not know me. If we meet again, I'll be sure to introduce myself.

Swimshark wasn't at Mission Viejo, but I was. Darn, too bad we didn't meet up there.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    As Elaine said, sorry, wasn't me. Last Nationals I went to was SCY in Atlanta. I was at Oregon Nationals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by swimshark View Post
    As Elaine said, sorry, wasn't me. Last Nationals I went to was SCY in Atlanta. I was at Oregon Nationals as well.
    OK, I am thinking of someone else then!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

Swimshark wasn't at Mission Viejo, but I was. Darn, too bad we didn't meet up there.
    Yes, too bad! I plan on going to every Summer Nationals I can (barring injury like this year or something else extreme) for the foreseeable future though, so I'm sure we'll meet up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenadiva View Post
    I have a question about seeding at Nationals. If a swimmer's times are slower than anyone in their age group do they then get seeded with swimmers that are not in there age group so they are always in a heat with people swimming at a similar level?

For Example: If a swimmer swims 1:28 in the 100 free... and everyone in their age group swims faster would they then be seeded with older swimmers? or will they automatically be lumped in with their age group no matter how slow they swim?
    And my perennial question about the logic of Nationals seeding comes up. At meets throughout the rest of the year, events are always seeded by time, yet at Nationals events are seeded by the illogical (to me) method of by time within age groups. Why is this? Wouldn't it be easier to just seed people by time?

There's a gentleman I race against in the sprint events at multiple local meets throughout the year, but he's about 20 years older than me. It'd be nice to race him at Nationals, too, but instead we're separated by quite a few heats. I've seen guys at Nationals in their 50s who can throw down a 100 free with the faster 25-29 guys, yet are stuck in a heat that they win by 4+ seconds. Why not seed them with actual competition?

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by habu987 View Post
    And my perennial question about the logic of Nationals seeding comes up. At meets throughout the rest of the year, events are always seeded by time, yet at Nationals events are seeded by the illogical (to me) method of by time within age groups. Why is this? Wouldn't it be easier to just seed people by time?

There's a gentleman I race against in the sprint events at multiple local meets throughout the year, but he's about 20 years older than me. It'd be nice to race him at Nationals, too, but instead we're separated by quite a few heats. I've seen guys at Nationals in their 50s who can throw down a 100 free with the faster 25-29 guys, yet are stuck in a heat that they win by 4+ seconds. Why not seed them with actual competition?

Sigh.
    This is a National Championship meet that determines the champion in each age group for each event. Therefore, most swimmers want to swim in a heat with the swimmers in their age group. However, to save time distance events are seeded by time only. The rules for seeding at nationals are on page 34 of the Rule Book. See http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Sigh.
    Let me give you the flip side of this argument, Doctor. There are two swimmers who have always battled in their age group, having provided themselves and the spectators with great races, always in the two middle lanes. Now we are seeding their most exciting race and because of the time seeding, they are in the same heat, but in the two outside lanes! Or worse yet, one is in lane 10 of heat 4 and the other is in lane 1 of heat 5. By their ranking and their rivalry, they should have those middle lanes and have at it for their (and our) pleasure. In Greensboro, 2012, I swam against an old foe in the 400 IM. We had not raced in 50 years, but there we were next to each other. Our entry times were such that we could have been in different heats.

Thanks for listening, Number 10. Would you like a jelly baby?

Number 4

In a nutshell, you (we) can't have our cake and eat it, too. We permit anybody to swim up to three events at Nationals without meeting qualifying times for most events. I don't know of many "National Championship" type events in others sports that have open participation like that. With this added perk comes a compromise, and that is that we can't always seed events by age group because the days are too long to support (volunteers for timers, officials, safety marshals, registration, awards, hospitality, medical, etc.).

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    In a nutshell, you (we) can't have our cake and eat it, too. We permit anybody to swim up to three events at Nationals without meeting qualifying times for most events. I don't know of many "National Championship" type events in others sports that have open participation like that. With this added perk comes a compromise, and that is that we can't always seed events by age group because the days are too long to support (volunteers for timers, officials, safety marshals, registration, awards, hospitality, medical, etc.).

Jeff
    I agree completely with the combining of the longer races, as you have done, especially 800 and 1500. Not sure how much time is saved with the 200s. I'd just hate to see the whole meet by time. The shorter races are almost always exciting to see and swim.

Thanks, Jeff (and everyone involved), for the great (and speedy) communication about all things Maryland Nats! I'm looking forward to my first MD meet in many years and seeing some old friends from way back.

I've got a recently busted kneecap and currently the only way I can swim without (too much) pain is to swim with a knee brace or KT tape. I spoke to the head official before the Colonies Zone championship meet this past spring (injured my knee in the spring and then hurt it again, in the exact same way, this past weekend) and he cleared me to compete in that meet with the tape on my knee. Is there a procedure to see if I can get cleared beforehand to do the same for this meet?

I've got a recently busted kneecap and currently the only way I can swim without (too much) pain is to swim with a knee brace or KT tape. I spoke to the head official before the Colonies Zone championship meet this past spring (injured my knee in the spring and then hurt it again, in the exact same way, this past weekend) and he cleared me to compete in that meet with the tape on my knee. Is there a procedure to see if I can get cleared beforehand to do the same for this meet?
    Please send your request to championship@usms.org and I will route it to the Meet Ref.

Jeff

Very Active Member Edward The Head's Avatar

The meet info page says that the 800 will be seeded from slowest to fastest. Does that mean the slowest groups will go first? Do they know if the men and women will swim together? I will be coming from work and want to get a time on when I should come.

Very Active Member

yes, the men and women will be combined for this event, and the slowest folks will swim first. don't forget to positively check in for the race!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
    The meet info page says that the 800 will be seeded from slowest to fastest. Does that mean the slowest groups will go first? Do they know if the men and women will swim together? I will be coming from work and want to get a time on when I should come.
    All seeding decisions were delineated in the 3rd email that went out to all swimmers last week:
    http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...052054799.html

Very Active Member swimmieAvsFan's Avatar

If anyone is in town early (as in today or tomorrow morning), you're welcome to drop into Terrapin Masters practices at UMd. All you need is $7 and your USMS card. Stop at the Member Services desk on Level 1 of the ERC and tell them you're dropping in to masters practice. You'll fill out a form and pay the $7 and them come swim! Practice tonight (Monday 8/11) is from 6:30 pm - 8pm and tomorrow morning (Tuesday 8/12) is 6:15 am - 7:45 am.

Mollie Grover
    Potomac Valley Top Ten Recorder and Sanctions Chair
    USMS Rules committee

Quote Originally Posted by swimmieAvsFan View Post
    If anyone is in town early (as in today or tomorrow morning), you're welcome to drop into Terrapin Masters practices at UMd. All you need is $7 and your USMS card. Stop at the Member Services desk on Level 1 of the ERC and tell them you're dropping in to masters practice. You'll fill out a form and pay the $7 and them come swim! Practice tonight (Monday 8/11) is from 6:30 pm - 8pm and tomorrow morning (Tuesday 8/12) is 6:15 am - 7:45 am.
    Thanks for the great offer, swimmie, but, unfortunately we won't be arriving in the area until Wednesday night. This is just another small piece to the already impressive organizational and swimmer-friendly manner in which this meet has been setup! I look forward to thanking the members of the committee in person later in the week.

I see that shuttles run 'til 7 pm on Wednesday.....can we get in the pool to practice after the Wednesday meet is over?

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRYM_Swimmer View Post
    Thanks for the great offer, swimmie, but, unfortunately we won't be arriving in the area until Wednesday night. This is just another small piece to the already impressive organizational and swimmer-friendly manner in which this meet has been setup! I look forward to thanking the members of the committee in person later in the week.
    After Team U.S.A.'s experience at Worlds, I'm looking forward to participating at a USMS organized meet. USMS has done a fabulous job at all the Nationals I have attended since joining in 2010. FINA should learn by USMS's example!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by aguins View Post
    I see that shuttles run 'til 7 pm on Wednesday.....can we get in the pool to practice after the Wednesday meet is over?
    From the Meet Information:

The competition pool will be open for warm-up on Tuesday, Aug. 12, from 3 to 7 p.m. On competition days, the competition pool will be open from 6 a.m. until 7:50 a.m. and the warm-up pools will be available from 6 a.m. until the conclusion of the final event. The competition pool will also be open for warm-up for 30 minutes following the last heat of the 400 IM on Friday, Aug. 15. The competition pool will be open for at least 30 minutes following the last event each day. On Wednesday, Aug. 13, the competition pool will remain open for 1 hour following the last heat of the 1500 free, or 30 minutes if the last heat ends after 6 p.m.

There is also a note in the email you would have received shortly after making this post about more availability on Wednesday afternoon/evening.

Safe travels and see you soon!
    Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast