Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    39

    Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    I recently purchased Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Secrets and was wondering if anyone else was attempting to complete her 16 week training program? If so, I would love to chat about your experiences. To start with I was wondering how to propel yourself forward doing the doggie paddle drill? Also, who does a set that includes 100 fly repeats for a warm-up? Maybe butterfliers? If so, I am impressed. Everyone at my Y wants to know if this program will work for me before they try it, so if anyone else is trying it - let me know! I need some support.
    Last edited by swimsmar; May 22nd, 2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling error

  2. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    101

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    Swimsmar,
    I looked over what I could in the link for Shiela's workouts.
    we call the Doggie paddle drill "Finish Forearms" Finish forearms: In a face down position with our elbows tight against your torso pull each wrist to your chest then push down to your leg in alternating fashion as quick as you are able. (builds strength in the triceps needed finish each stroke)

    No one at Denver Masters Swims fly as part of a warm-up not even our state and national record holders. Consider swimming fly later in the practice after you are adequately warmed up. You will certainly have less chance for injury!

    Speed work can be accomplished in many ways. Be ready to push yourself to break through that plateau.

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    alevasseur,
    Thanks for your drill suggestion. I emailed Shiela since it appears that I am one of the only people trying her workouts. She thought that perhaps I was creating drag in my underwater recovery. That was my problem as I was breaking my wrists and dragging them through.
    As for the fly in the warm-ups, the purpose is to gain strength. I actually feel more powerful in my fly since the pull is the same as for freestyle. Her workouts also include tubing exercises with free or fly pulls. I guess I was just whining, and hesitant to "break through that plateau".

  4. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    101

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    Quote Originally Posted by swimsmar View Post
    alevasseur,Thanks for your drill suggestion. I emailed Shiela since it appears that I am one of the only people trying her workouts. She thought that perhaps I was creating drag in my underwater recovery. That was my problem as I was breaking my wrists and dragging them through. As for the fly in the warm-ups, the purpose is to gain strength. I actually feel more powerful in my fly since the pull is the same as for freestyle. Her workouts also include tubing exercises with free or fly pulls. I guess I was just whining, and hesitant to "break through that plateau".
    Brilliant, I am happy to hear you got your questions answered. Keep calm and keep swimming! Andrew

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    I feel weird responding to my own thread, but after 8 weeks of doing Shiela's workouts, I swam my fastest 1500m race in 16 years of swimming masters at a recent meet. I am still surprised that no one else is trying these workouts. Perhaps only non-USMS swimmers are.

  6. #6
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dresden, New York, United States
    Posts
    2

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    Our self appointed coach just had his work schedule changed leaving me and our other swim friend floundering. We were used to him setting up the workouts and telling us what to do! So I bought this program and we are on week 4 (just finishing it tomorrow). It has been great, her progress has been outstanding you can tell she has gained a lot of strength. My personal progress has been great but not quite as noticeable has hers (she was swimming with fins before just to keep at a reasonable close pace to ours) My pace was faster before starting these so i am sure she is just reaping the rewards sooner , I hope to see them continue. I definitely feel stronger in the water. Great to hear someone else is having success! How long did it take you to really notice a difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by swimsmar View Post
    I feel weird responding to my own thread, but after 8 weeks of doing Shiela's workouts, I swam my fastest 1500m race in 16 years of swimming masters at a recent meet. I am still surprised that no one else is trying these workouts. Perhaps only non-USMS swimmers are.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member Celestial's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    405
    Blog Entries
    417

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    Quote Originally Posted by swimsmar View Post
    I am still surprised that no one else is trying these workouts. Perhaps only non-USMS swimmers are.
    Perhaps we just don't post them? Also, some of our workouts were in concert with what she was recommending, anyway

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: Shiela Taromina's Swim Speed Workouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Perhaps we just don't post them? Also, some of our workouts were in concert with what she was recommending, anyway
    I am not sure what "our workouts" is referring to, but if you would be so kind as to tell me which forum they are found, I would love to try them. I also understand that most people swim with a workout group so they are required to do the workout that the coach gives. Unfortunately, I don't get much from my local workout groups so I swim on my own.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
  2. the speed of the swim
    By uvmflier in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: December 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
  4. Swim Speed article - You're editing and criticism is welcome
    By tomtopo in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM
  5. Compare open water speed to pool speed?
    By hofffam in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •