Thread: Punch list for foreign swimmers

Punch list for foreign swimmers

Would it be possible to gather a punch list for "making swims count" for foreign swimmers? I post a meet that often includes some foreign swimmers and I get all sorts of questions. I know that they are supposed to show proof of their foreign membership and that it is supposed to be masters but I'm a little iffy on the rest.

Re: Punch list for foreign swimmers

Hi Cheryl ... I'm trying to determine what the content of the "punch list" would be ...

Foreign swimmers would be non-members in the Top Ten Tools, so I don't understand what "making swims count" means.

Did you mean sort of an FAQ for Top Tens when handling swims from Foreign swimmers?

E.g., 1. How do I record the foreign swimmers in Meet Manager? 2. Should Foreign swimmers appear in final results?

Jeanne
    Jeanne Seidler, Wisconsin LMSC Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, Sanction Chair
    USMS Records and Tabulations Committee Chair

A foreign swimmer not registered as a USMS member, entered in a USMS meet, is not eligible for either USMS Top 10 or USMS records but CAN have a swim count for a FINA world record. Following is a document about how to get swims to count for USMS T10, USMS records or FINA records, originated by Walt Reid and later updated by me (in 2009, so it likely needs updating again) that can be found in the USMS GTO on the web site. Not exactly a punchlist, but close:
    http://www.usms.org/~rectabs/convent...mestocount.pdf
    Coach Emmett Hines - ASCA Level 5
    Gulf LMSC Top10 Chair
    http://H2OustonSwims.org
    emmett@usms.org

Quote Originally Posted by jseidler View Post
    Hi Cheryl ... I'm trying to determine what the content of the "punch list" would be ...

Foreign swimmers would be non-members in the Top Ten Tools, so I don't understand what "making swims count" means.

Did you mean sort of an FAQ for Top Tens when handling swims from Foreign swimmers?

E.g., 1. How do I record the foreign swimmers in Meet Manager? 2. Should Foreign swimmers appear in final results?

Jeanne
    Thanks so Emmett for his sample explaining records. Actually, Jeanne the question comes up when people swim for two countries. I don't know how often you can switch back and forth. Does that make sense?

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiergal View Post
    Thanks so Emmett for his sample explaining records. Actually, Jeanne the question comes up when people swim for two countries. I don't know how often you can switch back and forth. Does that make sense?
    If a swimmer has dual or multiple country registration then it depends on which registration is used to enter a specific meet. If a USMS registration is used to enter a meet the swimmer is eligible for all USMS statistics. If a swimmer user say a MSC registration to enter a meet, then only Canadian statistics are eligible for that particular meet. Relay registration is equivalent.