Thread: 2015 USAS Convention Workshops

Blog Entries

2015 USAS Convention Workshops

The LMSC Development Committee and the Education Sub-committee are soliciting ideas for webinars and convention workshops.
    Please submit ideas for topics you would like to see presented throughout the year and at the 2015 USAS Convention.
    Last edited by Timswim; September 20th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.

Re: 2015 USAS Convention Workshops

Tim - you and I already conversed via email, but I'll repeat the idea here for the Forums audience:

We need a Roberts Rules of Order 'skit' or 'role playing' exercise, so we don't just look at a list of rules; we practice the phrases and the process, how to introduce yourself before speaker, how to make a motion and second before discussion, and to review making points of order, calling the question (vote on calling the question before voting on the amendment before voting on the original motion... etc !), as well as to review what is out of order: no addressing other delegates directly, no answering questions from the floor, etc. Also, just the general flow of the meeting: when/how is it okay to ask a questions, when is it okay to make a motion, etc. When do we need a majority, when do we need 2/3, when do we need 90%, etc. This whole thing would be part of a "Delegate Orientation" (not just 'new' delegate orientation) at the start of the meeting. If we do it as a 'role play' and get everyone involved, maybe more folks will be less intimidated and more willing to participate in the discussion at HOD.

How to host a "Masters 101" training session...

... for lap swimmers or triathletes to learn the slang to follow a coach (three twos on the three, descending!) and read the clock (on the top!) and learn and the flow of swimming in a lane with 5 other swimmers. I brought this up in the Coaches meeting as something to emphasize in certification training, but we also need it for non-coaches for LMSC members that want to reach out to new potential members. Several LMSCs and individuals already have some version of this training, which I'm trying to collect various versions of to create reference material that we can all share. Taking that material and turning into a workshop at next year's convention I think would be useful and interesting to a lot of people.

TOM

Very Active Member

I think this Roberts Rules of Order skit is a great idea. We could do the skit live, but I think we should also tape it and make it available on YouTube for later use.
    Mary Pohlmann

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An RRO skit might be fun, but if we are talking about adding it to the delegate orientation then that is probably an additional 20 min of precious HOD floor time. On some days meetings lasted until 8pm so I'm not sure adding more material is the answer.

Is there a need to reinvent the wheel? Google "Robert's Rules tutorials" and you'll get many hits, I bet some of them are interactive and informative. Here is a very short one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYwKX_P8YkU

This summer the board had an idea of having a call or webinar that would be either required or strongly encouraged of delegates, or at least the less experienced ones. Maybe a RRO tutorial (or a skit if you like) can be a part of something like that?

Finally, while there is little doubt that there is confusion about some of Robert's Rules, I am not so sure that they are the main barrier to people coming to the floor to contribute. Speaking your piece in front of 200-300 people, some of them quite passionate about their opinion, can be pretty intimidating no matter how many rules you know.
    These opinions are mine mine mine and not USMS'.

Chris - thanks for the video link; that is great.
    I don't think HOD floor time is an barrier to doing this; this year we allocated 1 hour of HOD floor time to waste 15 minutes to allow most of the delegates to leave so we spend 30 minutes reviewing the list of Rules, then waste another 15 minutes for everyone to get back in and settled down. Even if we make "delegate orientation and Robert's Rules" a 45 minute interactive presentation, if we just keep everyone there for it we would use less HOD floor time overall.
    You are also absolutely correct that some folks are going to be intimidated no matter what, but I still think less confusion about the rules is good for all of us!