Thread: Scolding the house of delegates?

Participating Member

Scolding the house of delegates?

Is it true that a former president of USMS actually scolded the house of delegates because they were not in favor of adding 25 yard events to the official event list?

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Scolding the house of delegates?

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy View Post
    Is it true that a former president of USMS actually scolded the house of delegates because they were not in favor of adding 25 yard events to the official event list?
    There was some scolding from a variety of sources on a couple of issues (e.g. from the current president to delegates who didtn't attend the IMSHOF event but nevertheless showed up to eat their food at the reception). I don't recall this one.

On this particular issue I recall a former president being publicly upset by the fact that it required a two-thirds majority to pass an amendment of the 25s rule. He mistakenly believed that it was because the committee didn't recommend the rule, but in actual fact ANY amendment from the floor that wasn't considered by the committee would have required a two-thirds majority unless the HOD recessed and the committee convened to consider and approve the recommendation. My advice to those in favor of the last-minute amendment would have been to make it earlier and bring it up to the committee for consideration (though they likely would not have endorsed it, I admit).

It is true that the rule itself would have required 2/3 to pass b/c it was not recommended by the committee of jurisdiction (i.e. Rules). That's how the system works -- and has for some time -- and if the HOD doesn't like that then there is a chance to change that next year since it is a legislation year.
    These opinions are mine mine mine and not USMS'.

An excellent explanation Chris! Our rules for amending the USMS rules (see http://www.usms.org/rules/part6.pdf ) can seem quite confusing. But, they are in place for a reason and they do work.

As for scolding from current and former presidents, I guess this is a good lesson that what we say and how we say it really does make a difference in our service to Masters Swimming.

For what itís worth, if we were talking 25K instead of 25Y the House of Delegates may have seen a different former president speechifying at the microphone. We all have our passions for our sport and sometimes we forget to place a filter in front of our words and tone.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Eating and running was definitely justified. I saw several folks jump up and leave after the Masters presentation at the USAS banquet. That one is harder to blame; it was 9:30 and some people have early bedtimes and early flights.
    man up, buttercup!

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    Eating and running was definitely justified.
    Agreed, but I think that anyone who wants to scold the house should have Kathy Casey do it. No one can scold like she can, I immediately regress to elementary school.
    These opinions are mine mine mine and not USMS'.

Very Active Member

What one person call a "scolding", another person may regard as a passionate speech.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Many people called it a scolding. Passion begins and ends with a plea for action, not a reprimand. Actually, two past presidents could be said to have done the scolding, one during the discussion, one after the voting was finished.

I was sad to have witnessed this, but not entirely surprised. It is certainly not a turning point, but I don't think it is a good path to follow.

The passion should be to convince that house that the resolution/legislation/rule is good for everyone and good for USMS, and why. In the case of the 25 yard events, it is pretty clear that most of the house has already decided that it is not necessary to make the events official. In fact, if we had passed the rule, it would almost certainly worked contrary to its stated rationale, that of attracting new members. Perhaps it would have attracted some lightning fast sprinters looking to set records, but it currently does a pretty good job of introducing very new members to the competition side of USMS without the pressure of standards or records. Just fun. This is supposed to be fun, isn't it?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Ha ha Betsy, very true.

Sounds rude to me but maybe it was just as rude to let the presentation go on too long, causing inconvenience to others.