Thread: Problems with USMS.org email address

Participating Member

Problems with USMS.org email address

I signed up for a USMS.org email address. I thought it would be a great way to allow me to keep the same email address regardless of which ISP I am using. Besides, it's a cool address.
    Unfortunately, it appears to have a spam filter that I cannot access. I have no way of knowing if emails have been rejected. In fact, I have recently realized that I am not getting some of my emails. In the last two days there have been 3 emails sent as replies to me that I never received - two were actually rejected back to the sender as undeliverable (I don't know the specific error message given), but the other just disappeared. This is becoming more frequent (or maybe I'm just being made aware of it).
    I have checked the spam folder on my ISP to verify that they are not doing the rejecting.
    Does anyone else have experience using the USMS address?

Re: Problems with USMS.org email address

What domains were the missing emails sent from? AOL and Yahoo have implemented some anti-phishing policies that may affect mail sent from an AOL or yahoo account to a usms.org forwarding address. See http://postmaster.comcast.net/dmarcupdate.html for more details. Basically, if someone from AOL sends an email to x@usms.org which is forwarded to x@comcast.net, Comcast may see that the mail they received is ostensibly "from" an aol.com address yet was received from the usms.org mail server (via forwarding). Comcast honors AOL's new policy of not accepting mail "from" any aol.com email addresses unless they are received from an actual aol.com mail server and rejects the email.

This new policy by AOL and yahoo, while being an effective method of blocking phishing messages, hurts other services such as mail forwarding services and mailing list providers. There are some workarounds available in the latest mailing list software that we are looking in to, but we don't have a solution for forwarding addresses yet.
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Participating Member

That is exactly what is happening. All the failed emails are coming from Yahoo. At this time it looks like it only happens when a Yahoo user does a Reply-All to one of my emails. I guess if I am going to send an email to more than one person (and at least one is a yahoo or aol account), I will send it from a different email address. That's the only work-around I can think of for now.
    Thank you for responding so quickly.

Participating Member

Hi,

I am having the same issue. Not getting any emails from my swim team - which are sent via Club Assistant. Also not getting emails form my ski club. The USMS address forwards to a gmail account and the emails I am not getting are also not in the junk / spam or promotions folders either. Is there a login for the spam filter?

Participating Member

I just realized that I started this thread almost three years ago. Now, for sure, I am done with @usms.org. Almost every one of my creditors (credit cards, utilities, etc) that provide online statements instead of paper have eventually sent me paper copies of my bill because their email notices to me have been rejected.
    This morning I suddenly received a dozen emails that had been mailed from 6 to 41 hours before. (Two sent at 3 pm Wednesday were received at 9:30 am Friday). When I checked the headers, every one of the email had been hung up between spamwall.usms.org and admin.usms.org.
    I love using a USMS email address, but this is completely unacceptable. There's not even a spam folder somewhere to check or a place to specify safe senders. And I can't find any information about whom to contact at USMS to ask questions.