Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forum?

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar

New Forum?

It seems as though "the regulars" here are a social lot. Would it be possible to start a new forum, the purpose of which is just social, non-swimming chatter. That would leave this forum for general swimming discussions, which is its designation and give specific forum for the socializing that is also one of the nice parts of master's swimming. It might also be a nice way to bring in some of the people who lurk and read but never post.

-LBJ

Blog Entries

Call it like it is

Let's just put the cards on the table. This forum was outstanding for about 6 months. The topics were well presented and I learned a lot. Then, we all know what happened, Ion came back. This forum has been totally ruined by his presence. Anyone interested in USMS would see his posts and obsessive compulsive disorder and think USMS is a rotten organization.

I went to usswim.org and looked at his postings there and he did the same thing to that forum.

In the past two weeks he has called me fat, poor skinned, made fun of the region I'm from and that's mild compared to what he has said to others. Tom Ellison, perhaps the only Ion supporter out there, even took it on the chin from him. I have also received a number of private messages from others disgusted by what this forum has become.

You can count on him reacting to my post with another jab, that's what happens. I'm no longer responding to him and hope that this forum can return to a place where swimming is the main topic.

Re: Call it like it is

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aquageek
    hope that this forum can return to a place where swimming is the main topic.

I second that! I liked this forum much more when it was a positive, supportive environment! That is what Masters is all about. And.....don't make fun of the south. Us Georgia peaches are very sensitive about where we are born and raised!

Blog Entries
    I think the new "Social" Forum would be a good idea! I still think it is funny though that he can get y'all so riled up! Yes he is very opinionated, but so are the people who continue to argue with him! I actually read some of these daily just for the entertainment. I apologize if I am laughing at your expense, truly I am, but why take it all so seriously. Life is way too short Smile and have wonderful day!!!!!!!

When you lose the ability to laugh at yourself, you are not happy. ....Whoa, that was deep! I agree. Lighten up and just keep it all in perspective! Life is WAAAYYY TOO SHORT.

Blog Entries
    Actually, here in Eastern North Carolina we prefer to say marsh rather than swamp.

Very Active Member
    Gosh, I am not sure I would consider myself an Ion supporter….I would consider myself a guy who recognizes the flaws in myself and attempts to be understanding and forgiving of the flaws in others. These past nineteen months have been very, very difficult in my life and during this time I have found comfort and a sense of well being in the realization that we are all human beings and we are all flawed….which in turn has given me a greater sense of forgiveness and leeway to the quirks of others.

As to life being to short….Life is way to short….and we only get the opportunity to walk into this Arena one time….

As to laughing at ourselves….Gosh, I do that every time I look in the mirror…and without the joy of laughter….we’d all live a rather glum life….

I have taken my fair share of shots on this forum…most I had coming…some I did not…but in the final analysis I hope I have learned to rise above it and have benefited by being a part of this forum. Reading this forum has given me greater insight into the feelings and thoughts of others…and has allowed me to see the other side of the coin…

Just my two cents worth….

Kindest regards,

Tom Ellison

Very Active Member
    Where did the VO2 thread go?

Blog Entries
    Tom.......Well said! I Agree Whole Heartedly!
    One Day At A Time - It's all we can do!

Very Active Member

Re: Call it like it is

Originally posted by aquageek

I went to usswim.org and looked at his postings there and he did the same thing to that forum.
    [/B]
    Hey Geek, I went to USSWIM.org forums too. I could not find any of Ion's posts. What is his name there?

Very Active Member
    I don't get it. One or two threads don't make a forum, so how can one person who keeps his comments to those few threads wreck a forum? Jerks are all around us and need to be tolerated in a free society.

Re: Re: Call it like it is

Originally posted by lefty

Hey Geek, I went to USSWIM.org forums too. I could not find any of Ion's posts. What is his name there?
    It is Ion Beza.

Do a search.

geek is lying about me having done anything wrong in that forum.

Also, someone without giving the identity wrote this e-mail, last Friday:

"Have been reading your responses on USMS for many months now. Why don't you
    get a ****ing life and leave those people alone. I am sick of your
    eurotrash attitude and you need to find something better to do with your
    time and learn how to swim before you shoot that condescending attitude off.
    I am sure I speak for everyone on there when I say grow up and learn how
    to take criticism like a man. If you can't, then let your ass get kicked in
    the pool like always and we'll all laugh along watching you fail miserably
    and make lame excuses that you started late and can never be as good. There
    is also something called talent that you don't and never will have, if you
    can't face it, then too bad for you."

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar
    We have certainly wandered far into the weeds here. My original post was to see if there was any interest/possibility in a more social forum and to let this forum gravitate back to general swimming discussions. It was *NOT* an implied or overt criticism of any one, any thread of discussion or this forum as a whole.

That said, is there any interest?

-LBJ

Agree

LBJ,

I think a Social Forum would be very welcome change. It would be nice to share other interests we, as swimmers, might have OTHER THAN SWIMMING. Anyone else?

By the way, Ion and I may have had our differences on this Forum. Nonetheless, anyone sending e-mails the such as Ion has received as illustrated above needs to re-examine their priorities, IMHO. Fair is fair. Use the IGNORE feature on this Forum if you choose not to participate.

Blog Entries
    I did not send you that email, Ion, nor is it something I would do. Please do not associate me with that.

Very Active Member
    Mark in MD....you said it best! I may not like or side with the things Ion writes....but it is his right....
    As to the e-mail sent to him....Well, perhaps it lacked class....
    Phil, I hope you do not depart....
    LBJ, yes, I am in....
    In response to the Big Brother yanking the thread off the sight...
    I 100 % side with the post saying it's not a good thing to have yanked that thread off the sight.

Thumbs up

I'm all for the social forum in here!

As a matter of fact, on my own team website, we have set up a social category just for that purpose.

That one is open to outsiders too... We call them "team fans"
    www.mastersmvnswim.org
    -Connie
    I'd rather be swimming http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/

Thanks, Tom.

Heck, they shouldn't yank the thread off, they haven't yanked your humor. Besides your type of humor should be on stage ... the next one out of town.

Seriously, it takes a lot to have a thread yanked by the management and those occasions are probably rare.

Mark

PS

Nice idea ConnieKat. Think I will try it out on my team's site. Seems like a case of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Very Active Member
    I can't take the stage out of town....I held it up last week....

Tom, you are so modest. Are so, are not, are so, not, so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast