View Poll Results: Outdoor or Indoor swimming?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • outdoor 20 yard, irregular shaped, no lane lines or dividers

1 2.33%
  • outdoor 25 yard, standard, w/lane lines/dividers

28 65.12%
  • indoor 25 yard/meter lap pool w/ lane lines/dividers

14 32.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you outdoor pool swimmers

Very Active Member

For you outdoor pool swimmers

I'm curious as to your preference, so I decided to start a poll. I've been swimming outdoors all summer. It's been brutally hot, with high humidity most of the summer, which I notice, causes more fatigue and cramping, despite my intake of bananas, lots of water, etc. I also have allergies. There are the usual outdoor pool issues, but aside from that, if you had a choice to swim in a 25 yard pool or swim indoors in a more temperature controlled environment, what would you prefer and why?

Blog Entries

Re: For you outdoor pool swimmers

Kind of limited choices in the poll. I assume those are the only choices you have available? Living where I do (Chicago area), swimming outdoors is a treat, so I'd always pick that over indoors.

Having grown up swimming in California, I will always choose outdoor swimming over indoor. Nothing better than a mid day swim in a (heated) outdoor pool in January or February when the air is chilly but the sun is shining. If your pool has chillers/aerators for the summer and heaters for the winter - outside swimming is always awesome

Blog Entries

I'd go outdoor 25, indoor 25, outdoor 20 given those three choices.

Blog Entries

I don't care so long as there's no non swimming activities in the way

Blog Entries

I actually have this choice everyday since the Lifetime Gym I go to has a 25 M outdoor pool and a 25 M indoor pool. Most of the summer I have chosen the outdoor pool, but the past two days I've been inside purely because the indoor pool is at 78 and the outdoor pool is in the mid eighties and I wanted to do some test sets to determine where I'm at in training.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This summer I had a super nice season of swimming. Normally I mix up my indoors and outdoors quite a bit in the summer because I easily have both options. This summer I chose to swim indoors most of the time these reasons:
    1. The water was always a comfortable 78 degrees.
    2. The practices were NEVER crowded and I got lots of quality time from the coaches.
    3. I didn't have to apply nasty, sticky sunscreen to myself and end up with it smeared all over the pretty black interior of my car.
    4. I scored a Go Pro taping session with Glen Mills and have been receiving helpful hints from him all summer long via e-mail. He was on a tour and visited Carmel Swim Club for taping and team time. Lucky for me he likes to help master's too!!

Strangely enough I felt like my performance at Nationals was as good as it would have been if I'd trained long course. Right now and until Sept. 14th I'm stuck training outdoors long course yards. We've had a heat wave this week and I find swimming miserable. I'm sick of the hot water, crowded pool deck, crowded lanes, and mobs of kids in the locker rooms. I guess I'm just a non-conformist.
    HTFU!

Very Active Member

Hey, bobinator, I am with you -- we've had a continuous heat wave for 3 months on the East Coast. The outdoor pool water temp has been almost 90 on some days, with almost no shady, cloudy skies. Brutal on my skin, despite wearing waterproof sunblock, which IMO is useless since I'm in the pool at lest 1 1/2 hours working out. The indoor pool has been 82, crowded with people coming just to "cool off", camps, etc. I've been fortunate to get a lane almost to myself most of the time outside. The heat and high humidity and sun have definitely affected my times.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    Kind of limited choices in the poll. I assume those are the only choices you have available? Living where I do (Chicago area), swimming outdoors is a treat, so I'd always pick that over indoors.
    In my state, yes. We don't have outdoor heated pools for swimming in the winter. My post is based primarily on my love for swimming outside vs. swimming in extreme heat and humidity in water temps over 86 degrees. I wondered if others would still prefer outdoor over indoor pools. If you have other poll suggestions, let me know.

Very Active Member

I should also add that the smaller community pools are extremely hard to do backstroke in (no flags, lines, or ropes) and get very choppy very fast, which of course, requires more energy for me. I have vertigo issues so I find the choppier the water, the more it throws off my inner ear.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Indoor, because I have heat intolerance issues, and I would like to save my skin! Having said that, there is nothing I love more than a good, long open water swim when I can get to an ocean or a lake.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Outside whenever possible. Indoor season in Chicagpland is winter so there you go.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Indoor, because I have heat intolerance issues, and I would like to save my skin! Having said that, there is nothing I love more than a good, long open water swim when I can get to an ocean or a lake.
    Elaine do choppy waters bother your Meniere's at all?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I'd go outdoor 25, indoor 25, outdoor 20 given those three choices.
    I agree with KNelson.

Please note swimming indoors is not always a good choice. Its difficult to find indoor pools with good air circulation and/or ventilation. This can be an issue for persons with respiratory issues.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Elaine do choppy waters bother your Meniere's at all?

Yes, they do, unfortunately...
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    Outside whenever possible. Indoor season in Chicagpland is winter so there you go.
    Plus, Oz, you swim with the Naperville Waves, right? Don't you folks get to swim in a quarry during the summer? Evanston Masters used to practice outside in the summer (long course) and NASA Masters (Northwestern) used to swim in the lake once a week in the summer.

Blog Entries

I trained indoors my entire age group (Maryland/Virginia) and collegiate careers (Texas). Back then, I wanted nothing more than to be able to train outdoors.

Now, I train outdoors pretty much all year round between my home in Arizona and (much of my) business travel to California. While outdoor training can be awesome, I could use A LOT less sun exposure all year round, A LOT more warmth in the winter (e.g., morning lows in the 30s and 40s are not pleasant) and A LOT more cool in the summer.

My dream pool would be one with a retractable roof, but, failing that, if I could only train in one pool for the rest of my life, though, it would be a close call between the IUPUI Natatorium and the Texas Swim Center:

Blog Entries

Yes, there is one public pool in So Cal with a retractable roof. There is a Masters team that works out of that pool, but its a very closed group. They are only a workout group. They do not compete in swim meets, or triathlons etc.

Regarding swimming in outdoor pools during summer months. This may sound slightly crazy, but on those mini heatwaves we just had, I chose to utilize the indoor pools in the area to stay out of the sun. Mostly for two reasons: 1) the sun was heating up the outdoor pools to uncomfortable levels for regular outdoor pool lap swimmers; and 2) to stay out of the UV rays when they are at their worst.

I am fortunate to be able to swim indoors, or outdoors, year round. Pools closed for Labor Day, lucky me I can swim in the bay. The local bay is 74 at the moment. Even non-regular swimmers could tolerate that temperature.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend everyone.

Blog Entries

My favorite pool is the Caribbean

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Yes, there is one public pool in So Cal with a retractable roof. There is a Masters team that works out of that pool, but its a very closed group. They are only a workout group. They do not compete in swim meets, or triathlons etc.
    Can you provide a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Regarding swimming in outdoor pools during summer months. This may sound slightly crazy, but on those mini heatwaves we just had, I chose to utilize the indoor pools in the area to stay out of the sun.
    I completely understand. Whenever I can and I'm there, I choose an indoor pool in California - there are a few that are good for training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast