Thread: place to swim in New Orleans?

place to swim in New Orleans?

What is the best place to swim in New Orleans? I'll be staying in the Garden District, but won't have a car.

NOLA Pools

There is a listing at the SoLMSC Places to swim page for Isidore Newman School, but i'm not sure it is up to date.
    http://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=24
    try the love swimming link for more info. Ask them if they know of any other pools.

There used to be a pool at the JCC, at Jefferson & St Charles, just down the street from Newman. I understand Tulane University has a new pool, I would think that this is probably the nicest facility.

There used to be a pool at the Lee Circle YMCA, but i remember it as being pretty funky. There are probably other pools at various health clubs in the downtown area.

Elmwood Sharks is the most active USMS team in the NOLA area, but they are out in Metairie. Still, you may want to contact a representitive of that team, they may hae a better idea regarding pools in the NOLA area.

Re: NOLA Pools

There used to be a pool at the Lee Circle YMCA, but i remember it as being pretty funky. There are probably other pools at various health clubs in the downtown area.
    A friend of mine who lives in New Orleans said that they closed that pool because it was so run down. He now swims at some health club somewhere downtown.

Tulane University in the uptown area has a lap pool, but I'm not sure if the general public can buy a day pass or not. You might call the university and check.

Participating Member

Re: place to swim in New Orleans?

Hey, I recognize that the original post is already years old, but just in case there's anyone still reading this post who plans to come to New Orleans and would like to swim in Tulane's pool, a guest pass is about 10/day. (I'm a student and a member, so let me know..)

For anyone in New Orleans, though, is there anywhere to practice open water swimming?

Swim across Lake Pontchartrain? People marathon across the bridge, but I don't know if anyone has attempted to swim across. The boat and ship traffic and pollution probably make it not a good idea.

Participating Member

iI's 20-some miles across the whole lake, so an option only for a select few. The Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation posts water-quality information. The lake is safe to swim, and a tri-group does it every week on the nola side, by Bayou St. John.

Personally, I've been using the pool at Kiefer Lakefront Arena (UNO). It is an indoor 50-meter pool with a $5 day charge.

sarappol

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteoftheDnieper View Post
    Hey, I recognize that the original post is already years old, but just in case there's anyone still reading this post who plans to come to New Orleans and would like to swim in Tulane's pool, a guest pass is about 10/day. (I'm a student and a member, so let me know..)

For anyone in New Orleans, though, is there anywhere to practice open water swimming?
    I'll actually be in New Orleans on Thursday evening and am trying to find a place to swim. I called the Tulane Rec Center and they said I could only pay the daily fee if I was with a member. Is there any way I would be able to swim there?

Participating Member

While Erin Goodrow was polite, she is no longer willing to help anyone swim at the Tulane Reily Center. She says the contact generated by this site has become an "irritation and a real problem". I just wanted to let all interested parties know that you should probably seek an alternative facility.
    I swim at the University of New Orleans Lakefront Arena. For non-members it is 5 dollars per day and it is never crowded and it is a nice facility. 50 meter indoor and 25 yd outdoor.