Thread: Shoulder Pain in the water

Participating Member

Shoulder Pain in the water

I've had some shoulder problems for many years now, took a few years off from swimming, but am starting to get back into it. I've been told by trainers in the past that I just need to strengthen my upper back. I've read articles denouncing the use of bands as it has minimal impact. Does anyone here have a dryland regiment they could suggest for upper back/shoulder strengthening? (I don't really have access to gym machinery, but do have bands, and access to dumbells from 5-50 lbs.)

Thanks!

Re: Shoulder Pain in the water

We need to know what part of the shoulder hurts. If I suggest something that will rip another part - that's not good.

Is this...

Quote Originally Posted by rpope1127 View Post
    I've had some shoulder problems for many years now, took a few years off from swimming, but am starting to get back into it.
    ...a separate issue from this?

I've been told by trainers in the past that I just need to strengthen my upper back. I've read articles denouncing the use of bands as it has minimal impact. Does anyone here have a dryland regiment they could suggest for upper back/shoulder strengthening? (I don't really have access to gym machinery, but do have bands, and access to dumbells from 5-50 lbs.)

Thanks!

Dan

Participating Member

I've had some shoulder problems for many years now, took a few years off from swimming, but am starting to get back into it. I've been told by trainers in the past that I just need to strengthen my upper back. I've read articles denouncing the use of bands as it has minimal impact. Does anyone here have a dryland regiment they could suggest for upper back/shoulder strengthening? (I don't really have access to gym machinery, but do have bands, and access to dumbells from 5-50 lbs.)

Thanks!
    Strongly suggest maintaining balance. Pecs (dumbbell presses) need to be balanced with lats (pulldown machine or reverse dumbell flys). Triceps with biceps, abductors with adductors. Unbalanced chest and back can lead to shoulder issues. Also don't forget band work to strengthen rotator cuff. Hope this helps.

Bill