Thread: How to teach front-flip to children aged 8 and below??

How to teach front-flip to children aged 8 and below??

Hi, currently i have a simple 4-steps drill where i'll let my kids practice and after which most of them would have grasp the momentum to do the front-flip.

The 4-steps drill are as illustrated in this picture below:

However I have a few kids whom upon reaching the drill's step 4, could not execute the front-flip despite many tries...

Are there any advises I should take note, to revise my drills and help these few children?

On a side note, one of my kid was not able to maintain a float despite holding his breath and stretching his chin back, his legs will tend to sink... what should I do?

Participating Member

Talking Re: How to teach front-flip to children aged 8 and below??

Hi Ronald,

The picture didn't come through so i was unable to help if you get the pic to work or if you have a link to the pic, I'd love to help you out.

Re: How to teach front-flip to children aged 8 and below??

This is a method I use to coach adults but it should work for anyone. I saw it at a clinic where the speaker was showing a video of how he taught kids to do flip turns. Have the kid kick towards the wall with two kick boards (one in each hand - holding the kick board in the middle of the back square end). As they get close to the wall, they swing their arms (and the kick boards) to the side of their body. Then they flip (do a somersault) and push off on their back. The kick boards should end up above their head. This teaches them to flip near the surface, the correct hand/arm position, and to push off on their backs. It makes it easier to flip because they are holding onto something and are less likely to end up flipping with an inadvertent twist. Good luck!