Thread: Towels!

Participating Member

Towels!

My teammates and I have wondered why towels are not sold as souvenirs at Nationals. We'd much rather have a towel than a t-shirt or sweatshirt or whatever. I've asked the vendors at every Nationals since Santa Clara in 2014 and nobody has a good answer. Seems somebody could make some money selling towels since we use them everyday at the pool and would love to have one printed with USMS Masters National Championships!

Very Active Member

Re: Towels!

Great idea. I never buy t-shirts anymore. I have way too many, but a towel has functionality. Come on meet directors and vendors. Let's have some towels.
    Mary Pohlmann

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

+1!!!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

Thanks for the support! I know there's money to be made...I'd easily pay $20-$30 for a towel and I'm sure they would cost way less than that to be produced. I've asked the vendors, they just say great idea but we're not selling towels, but they never have a good reason why! Is there someone at USMS that's in charge of the vendors that I could contact? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyChoseMe View Post
    Thanks for the support! I know there's money to be made...I'd easily pay $20-$30 for a towel and I'm sure they would cost way less than that to be produced. I've asked the vendors, they just say great idea but we're not selling towels, but they never have a good reason why! Is there someone at USMS that's in charge of the vendors that I could contact? Thanks again!

I would start by contacting the USMS national office at 800-550-SWIM (7946). Kyle Deery is the Marketing Director, and if he can't answer your questions, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Do they come in "thread count" like bed sheets? I would go for a thicker one.

Blog Entries

+1

I think I bought my first Masters t-shirt this year in Greensboro, but only because I needed a long sleeved shirt. A towel, though, I could see myself buying almost every year, particularly if they were high quality.

The selection of meet logo merchandise items available for sale at Nationals are at the discretion of the local meet hosts.

Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    The selection of meet logo merchandise items available for sale at Nationals are at the discretion of the local meet hosts.

Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee
    So... Back to my original question, how do we get the vendors to sell high quality towels with championship logos at every Nationals? They'd make money and we'd all have a souvenir we would actually use every day. Also a great souvenir to bring home to our fellow teammates that couldn't join us at Nationals.

Very Active Member Sandi Rousseau's Avatar

I have seen these comments and Oregon is checking into towels as souvenir items.

I will be in line for one when that happens.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    I will be in line for one when that happens.
    Me too...along with several team members! Thank you Sandi...hope it happens! (And is so successful that they become available at every Masters National Championship meet...)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyChoseMe View Post
    Me too...along with several team members! Thank you Sandi...hope it happens! (And is so successful that they become available at every Masters National Championship meet...)
    I hope so! I plan on going to Minnesota for long course Nationals, and I would love to buy a towel to bring home! The nice thing about towels from a marketing standpoint is they are one size fits all. There is no need for the sponsoring team to worry about sizes or shirt styles, and towels would have a wider appeal.

Blog Entries

Good News! We will be offering embroidered towels for pre-order and silk screened towels onsite at this year's Summer Nationals.
    Once I have a mock up, I will post pictures of what they will look like. I don't have a price as of yet.
    Tim Waud
    Co-Meet Director/Souvenirs

Quote Originally Posted by Timswim View Post
    Good News! We will be offering embroidered towels for pre-order and silk screened towels onsite at this year's Summer Nationals.
    Once I have a mock up, I will post pictures of what they will look like. I don't have a price as of yet.
    Tim Waud
    Hey, Tim! We met in Montreal at World's. I won't be at Nationals in Oregon, but I think it's great you will have towels for everybody. Hopefully, Minnesota will do the same in 2017, because I plan on being there and would love to purchase a towel!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15-GAJA-TimWaud.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	428.7 KB 
ID:	10551

These microfiber towels from Agon are great. They are absorbent yet lightweight, dry very quickly, and can be custom-printed like the towels shown in the photos.

They're great for travel meets. I always bring one in my airline carry-on because they also make nice blankets during the flight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usmstowel_opt.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	10554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sysmtowel_opt.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	10555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trialstowel_opt.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	10556  
    Last edited by ALM; June 18th, 2016 at 09:50 PM.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timswim View Post
    Tim Waud
    That is great news...can't wait to see the mock ups! Hope they become a big seller!
    As to the Agon towel suggestion...I have one and they're good for travel and for drying off a tech suit at a meet but not for everyday at the pool. Really looking forward to buying a National Championships 2016 towel!

Right, I'd go for a towel too. Though I have never done a swim meet yet, I have run hundreds of track, road and trail races. I have stacks of tee-shirts and my wife says she will burn any others I bring home (although I got away with buying a new USMS tee because it was not a running shirt). Some race directors do get creative since I have also gotten hats, gloves, sun glasses, water bottles, cinch sacks, neckerchief, and two towels. Those are the towels I bring to the pool every day.

Participating Member

Towels were sold out by Sunday morning...maybe earlier, that's just when I checked to see how they were selling. Hopefully they will be sold at every National Championships from now on. Would love to see more colorful ones next time. These were gunmetal gray with a very small embroidered patch near one end. But it's a start! Thank You.