Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best swim at Mt Hood

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Best swim at Mt Hood

Noriko Inada drops over 6 secs from seed time to break world record in 50 back...wait... it's her record she broke?!

Blog Entries

Re: Best swim at Mt Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Noriko Inada drops over 6 secs from seed time to break world record in 50 back...wait... it's her record she broke?!
    Ridiculous. I don't understand why people do this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    It looks like she sandbagged all her other times too ...

Kurt is no doubt peeved because his one time sandbag time was adjusted, causing him to miss his flight.

Submission for the day: Nick Blank 11:20 entry time for 800 free. 9:02 result for overall win. Courageous performance.

And the winner is...Phoenix swim club relays:. Women's 200 free. Seed 3:15. Finishes 2:10. Mixed 200 Free. Seed 2:40 (15th). Finishes1:43 (1st). Mixed medley. Seed 2:30 (11th). Finishes 1:53 (1st). That's about two minutes 37 second improvement over 600 yards of racing. Bravo! Until next year....stay classy.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

You two need to get over it. You sound like a bunch of crybabies.

However, I do agree that Noriko should be in the running for the best swim at the meet. Check out this 100 back split:
    1 Inada, Noriko 38 Phoenix SC 1:10.00 1:02.24W
    30.89 1:02.24 (31.35)

Quote Originally Posted by sickfish View Post
    You two need to get over it.
    1) Just one of me 2) Thanks for the worthy submission (I thought I was playing by/with myself)...and she dropped 8 seconds for that world record! 3) This thread is to celebrate achievement, more specifically great improvement, so please take your hateful vitriol (?cry baby?) to another thread.
    Last edited by Kurt Dickson; August 21st, 2016 at 03:34 AM.

Blog Entries

How do people feel about teams that cherry pick members from all over the U.S. or even other countries? There were definitely a couple like this at Nationals. It just seems a bit untoward to me.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Submission for the day: Nick Blank 11:20 entry time for 800 free. 9:02 result for overall win. Courageous performance.

And the winner is...Phoenix swim club relays:. Women's 200 free. Seed 3:15. Finishes 2:10. Mixed 200 Free. Seed 2:40 (15th). Finishes1:43 (1st). Mixed medley. Seed 2:30 (11th). Finishes 1:53 (1st). That's about two minutes 37 second improvement over 600 yards of racing. Bravo! Until next year....stay classy.
    You're bashing sandbaggers like you do every year and you're not fooling anyone. Let it go and let people seed themselves how they do it. If the meet director allows it, it's allowed. If you have a problem, take it up with them in person or in private instead of starting a thread to publicly bash them. And seriously, grow up, stop being obtuse, and drop the histrionics.

Blog Entries

It may be allowed, but it's still puzzling why some people do it so consistently. It's understandable in some cases: you've got another event right after so you want to be in an earlier heat, you haven't been swimming much and know you'll be slower, etc. In the big picture I don't think it's a huge deal, but I just don't really get the mentality of people that ALWAYS sandbag.

And seriously, grow up, stop being obtuse, and drop the histrionics.
    Histrionic? I'm so subdued, coworkers check me for a pulse. Grow up? More complicated. If you are confused by my freshly shorn ambiguous genitalia spotted in the locker room, I can assure you I am Tanner stage V and fully grown. Since we are all sporting speedos well past our prime, perhaps we all have "issues" and need to grow up. Since it would appear that there is no absolute truth in relation to the practice of sandbagging, perhaps two people can have differing opinions and one of those people not be foolish and immature. We are all on separate paths at different paces towards perfection. Please have patience with the rest of us while we catch up. Peace.

How do people feel about teams that cherry pick members from all over the U.S. or even other countries? There were definitely a couple like this at Nationals. It just seems a bit untoward to me.
    One cherry-picked older-middle-aged swimmer told me a few months ago that he and another (female) swimmer from his team would be switching allegiances for LC nationals because they wanted to be on (age-appropriate) relays. As they are both east-coasters and were fairly confident that they might not get enough other swimmers to attend (a reasonable assumption), they switched. I don't have a problem with this. [side note, they did have 4 other dudes who made it west, but no females]

Assuming a certain yellow-clad team is the cherry here, I don't necessarily see them cherry-picking. They have now established themselves as a strong force at both Spring and Summer Nationals, and across all ages and both genders. If a swimmer in a situation like the above example seeks the team out for that reason, is that bad? I don't think so. I would hope that the swimmer exhausted all avenues with their existing club before making that decision.

Also, said team seems to be bringing brand new people to every nationals. I don't see how that is hurting anything.
    man up, buttercup!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    Assuming a certain yellow-clad team is the cherry here, I don't necessarily see them cherry-picking. They have now established themselves as a strong force at both Spring and Summer Nationals, and across all ages and both genders. If a swimmer in a situation like the above example seeks the team out for that reason, is that bad? I don't think so. I would hope that the swimmer exhausted all avenues with their existing club before making that decision.

Also, said team seems to be bringing brand new people to every nationals. I don't see how that is hurting anything.
    These are good points. More people swimming and a team atmosphere is certainly worthwhile. However, the negative aspect is when teams essentially recruit fast swimmers to make attempts at National or World relay records. This just seems a little nefarious to me.

Blog Entries

That swim stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, he "dropped" 36 seconds in his 200 back. Glad he wasn't in my age group.
    NI LMSC Chair/Webmaster - http://www.niagaramasters.org

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Histrionic?
    You're the one who thought "cry baby" was hateful vitriol, so, yeah.

I just don't really get the mentality of people that ALWAYS sandbag.
    I might have some insight. For the record, I'm not an Olympian and I'm not setting any world records yet. I consistently swim 1:05-1:06 in my 100 LCM fly and 0:56.xx in the 100 SCY fly. I've done 1:04 and 0:55. But every time - every single time - I swim those races I don't think I can go that fast. I'm like "I'll just be happy if I go under 1:10" or "as long as I break a minute I'll be ok". And when I'm on the block I regret my seed times and signing up for those events. The fear of not meeting your seed time is a real thing, whether it's rational or not. Getting beaten is one thing - you can't control how fast other people go - but not meeting your seed time means you failed. A few times I've seeded myself with 1:08 or :58 and to be honest it just took so much pressure off. It made the race much less scary.

Blog Entries

I might have some insight. For the record, I'm not an Olympian and I'm not setting any world records yet. I consistently swim 1:05-1:06 in my 100 LCM fly and 0:56.xx in the 100 SCY fly. I've done 1:04 and 0:55. But every time - every single time - I swim those races I don't think I can go that fast. I'm like "I'll just be happy if I go under 1:10" or "as long as I break a minute I'll be ok". And when I'm on the block I regret my seed times and signing up for those events. The fear of not meeting your seed time is a real thing, whether it's rational or not. Getting beaten is one thing - you can't control how fast other people go - but not meeting your seed time means you failed. A few times I've seeded myself with 1:08 or :58 and to be honest it just took so much pressure off. It made the race much less scary.
    This I understand, but it's a question of degree. A few seconds on a 100 is one thing, 6 seconds on a 50 is another!

Very Active Member

I happen to be a member of the "Yellow Clad Team" so speak with some knowledge. We don't go and recruit swimmers. They come to us. There is usually a connection to a team member, but in some cases people have randomly approached and asked to join. If you check the results, you will see that every single person on our team scored at least one point due to strategic event choice, but there are few superstars. Our National team consisted of a broad spectrum of swimmers, and most are pretty average in ability. We are a team...we support one another, and have a lot of fun. Maybe that's what draws people to us.

I might have some insight. For the record, I'm not an Olympian and I'm not setting any world records yet?! But every time - every single time - I swim those races I don't think I can go that fast. ...The fear of not meeting your seed time is a real thing, whether it's rational or not.
    So your theory of why top level masters swimmers add 8 seconds to minutes on their seed time is fear of failure? It would seem if the pain and fear of failure is that profound, that not competing would be a healthier solution (as well as moving back with mother and getting back on the psychotropics) to the angst.

As far as cherry picking swimmers for teams, I was against it 20 plus years ago, but it has grown on me. It's all kind of part of the charm and personality of USMS. If one has not noticed, it's part serious and part free-for-all. We have national championships, but don't drug test. We have great swimmers who can enter whatever times they want. We have swimmers from one state, swimming and breaking records in another state. Perhaps, no other organization (us cycling, us triathlon) allows foreign athletes to complete for national championships and break national records like we do.

I love masters swimming and USMS. A lot of people work very hard to make it all run and I am grateful for its presence. If a fix is needed (and I'm not saying it is), perhaps the solutions are too expensive and time consuming. So, despite my episodic whining: Thanks USMS, you are my favorite serious free-for-all!😀

Very Active Member

Very nicely said, Kurt. I'm convinced that Masters Swimming is a pretty special arena....nothing like it. There are so many awe-inspiring efforts at any given competition, including Nationals in Oregon. I think we sometimes get wrapped up in the wrong focus instead of understanding how very special our sport is.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

So your theory of why top level masters swimmers add 8 seconds to minutes on their seed time is fear of failure?
    Yup. It makes sense, doesn't it? I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

It would seem if the pain and fear of failure is that profound, that not competing would be a healthier solution
    Well, that's not really for you to judge. Have you considered sitting out yourself, so as not to have to witness sandbagging? It seems to bother you a lot.

as well as moving back with mother and getting back on the psychotropics
    I think that's very disrespectful. It might even rise to the level of hateful vitriol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast