Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Solo Swimmers

Very Active Member

Re: Solo Swimmers

Laurie Val's very fast time in 100 yard backstroke of 1:03.96. This would have probably got her into consideration for nationals in backstroke in the late 1960's or almost in the early 1970's when she swam as a young women. If you did about 6 seconds ahead of that time when she was younger she would have probably made the Olympic team in backstroke in 1968. I figure with age 66 and in very good shape a difference of about 6 seconds if Laurie Val was in her late teens or early 20's again. Around a 58 for a young person.

Very Active Member

The most yardage since having bronchitis about 6 weeks ago. 1450. Freestyle kicking and breasstroke pulling. Did a 200 yard breastsroke at 43 and holding breastrokes 3 50's at 103 to 1:04 on the 2:00. Holding 3 50's flys at the 1:07to 1:09.this is part of the workout.

Very Active Member

On Tuesday I felt real good and was swimming 50 yard backstroke at 1:03 doing two at the 2:00 mark. So, t55hen I did two 50 freestyle at 54 and 56 going on the 2:00. I then later on did breaststroke one at 55 and then 56 but then did the second one of the 3:00 mark since I was tried. Then I did two 50 flies at 57 and 1:00 but went the second one on the 4:00 since I was tried. I swam 800 yards that day with kicking and pulling added in. Yesterday, I did 6 100 yard I'm and 1 100 yard breaststroke. One of the Im's the last was at 2:07. I swam 1300 when kicking and pulling are added in. Some speed work.

Participating Member

So I have been swimming 10 months alone. I live in a small town with only one indoor pool within 70 miles. The pool is closed for a few weeks for maintenance. The out door pools are opening tomorrow. The one that offers lap swim is so murky you canít see the bottom in the deep end. Would you wait for the indoor pool to open or swim in the dirty one or do a different activity to stay in shape? I already havenít swam for 1 week. I usually swim3X/week.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swimtastic View Post
    So I have been swimming 10 months alone. I live in a small town with only one indoor pool within 70 miles. The pool is closed for a few weeks for maintenance. The out door pools are opening tomorrow. The one that offers lap swim is so murky you canít see the bottom in the deep end. Would you wait for the indoor pool to open or swim in the dirty one or do a different activity to stay in shape? I already havenít swam for 1 week. I usually swim3X/week.

A murky pool doesn't necessarily mean it is "dirty" and unsafe to swim in. I would ask the lifeguard or management why the pool is so murky and listen to their explanation before ruling it out.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

A murky pool doesn't necessarily mean it is "dirty" and unsafe to swim in. I would ask the lifeguard or management why the pool is so murky and listen to their explanation before ruling it out.
    I was under the impression any murky pool was indeed unsafe because the lifeguards have to be able to see clearly to the bottom? At least that's what I was told in Korea when our pool there had that exact problem. They gave me an explanation but I only got out of every 3 words (nice Korean lady) Shut it down for a week before I could go again

Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    I was under the impression any murky pool was indeed unsafe because the lifeguards have to be able to see clearly to the bottom? At least that's what I was told in Korea when our pool there had that exact problem. They gave me an explanation but I only got out of every 3 words (nice Korean lady) Shut it down for a week before I could go again

Well, yes, you're right about that. I was thinking "safe" in terms of your health; however, a lifeguard MUST be able to see the bottom. Wow, it must have been EXTREMELY murky! Bummer.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Well, I had a pretty good workout for me in 100 yard swims. I did 2:07 100 yard butterfly. A 2:03 100 yard breastroke.2:03 100 yard Im. A 2:19 100 yard backstroke and not trying as hard as the other strokes. A 1:53 100 yard freestyle. I was a little rested since I did two light workouts on Saturday and Sunday. A lot of kicking.

Participating Member

Interesting solutions. I would have just mounted the camera on a heavy weight and set it in the pool to record. Turned the cam on later in the workout when a little fatigue sets in and bad habits develop, then just kept the parts where I am visible as I stroke past. Have you found anything helpful in the videos? If it is an asset I will give it a try.

Latwo22, who are you asking? Without you replying with a quote, we don't know which post you are replying about. Regardless, I am going to answer your question anyway by referring you to an article I wrote for Swimspire. In the article, video analysis is included:

https://www.swimspire.com/involve-no...pouse-partner/

Very Active Member

Had forgotten about this thread. So a couple of funny ones. A lady I've now seen a couple of times. Elderly, Asian*. First time I saw her in the pool, she was doing something resembling breast stroke, but she wouldn't get her face in the water. I offered to lend her my spare goggles. She declined. So I eventually notice that she has a paper towel at the end of the pool, and every time she finished a lap, she would use it to dry off her face. Kind of weird to swim if one doesn't want to get their face wet.

Next one. Some of the water aerobic/zoomba folks. There are some new ones (ladies). They wear gym shorts and some kind of shirts in the water. No idea if there are suits under them, or just the clothes. And shower caps. You know, those big clear, thin plastic things with the elastic? Yep, those.

* Not sure how many have known many/any Asian folks who swim. From talking to a fellow parent (on my kids' team), apparently, at least in some parts of China, maybe more widespread, breast stroke is the default stroke people there learn to swim in the same way that we learn freestyle. Only mentioned that since I mentioned her swimming breast stroke, and why I didn't really think much of it other than her unwillingness to get her face wet.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    Had forgotten about this thread. So a couple of funny ones. A lady I've now seen a couple of times. Elderly, Asian*. First time I saw her in the pool, she was doing something resembling breast stroke, but she wouldn't get her face in the water. I offered to lend her my spare goggles. She declined. So I eventually notice that she has a paper towel at the end of the pool, and every time she finished a lap, she would use it to dry off her face. Kind of weird to swim if one doesn't want to get their face wet.

Next one. Some of the water aerobic/zoomba folks. There are some new ones (ladies). They wear gym shorts and some kind of shirts in the water. No idea if there are suits under them, or just the clothes. And shower caps. You know, those big clear, thin plastic things with the elastic? Yep, those.

* Not sure how many have known many/any Asian folks who swim. From talking to a fellow parent (on my kids' team), apparently, at least in some parts of China, maybe more widespread, breast stroke is the default stroke people there learn to swim in the same way that we learn freestyle. Only mentioned that since I mentioned her swimming breast stroke, and why I didn't really think much of it other than her unwillingness to get her face wet.

This was true in the US and Europe in the 19th century. The stroke was breaststroke but freestyle or crawl was not known until the end of the 19th century. I have also swam head out breaststroke as well but not because I don't want to get my face wet.

I am now a solo swimmer too..I was training twice in a master-team but there are always some problems.
    First: The team is not really a team..People who swim and train together are not automatically a team. If there are too much interest out there is hard to fit everyone to one common goal.
    Second: The common training program don't fit me well enough. After almost ten years as a master swimmer, I have an understanding what I need to train and how to prepare for a meet in the best way.
    Third: If you don't have people, who are better than you, you can't get better. Its a simple fact. People just try to pull you always on their level and not otherwise.
    So, If I want improve and get better, I have to listen to my body and benefit from my experiences. So is better for me to train solo.
    "Swimming ist't just a sport. It's a healthy lifestyle, a total body workout, a meditation session,
    a weightless freedom and a way of life"

Welcome to our world, Martin! It's nice to have you join us!

You brought up some great points about the benefits of training solo. Thanks!

Very Active Member

Shower caps, yup. Don't know where that style came from but I see it all the time, mostly people water walking or splishy splashing in the shallow end. And those are the same people who don't shower before getting in the pool.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021