Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Solo Swimmers

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Solo Swimmers

You're a newbie at this level of training, so give yourself plenty of time to get in the groove. You will! It will be a lot of trial and error; however, you will get better at learning what you are capable of doing.

In the meantime, the most important thing is making sure you are using good stroke technique. Oh yeah, and it's also very important to have fun!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    You're a newbie at this level of training, so give yourself plenty of time to get in the groove.
    Yeah, I was not really trying to talk about that so much as getting stabilized. In other words, if one could go from, say 2:00 in a 100 stroke (we'll say breast) to a 1:40 in the span of a couple of months, then doing test sets may not be useful information. But if in another couple of months, one is only at 1:38, then at that point, yeah, do them! My first day in teh water, I could only wring out a 300 yard set. And I was only able to get a few in, and I think i cooled down with a 100. So grand total of 1000 yards in a bit over half an hour. That was early February. I just did a 1650 in 26:21 on Friday. Physically, I'm still losing weight, though I'm not trying. Heart rate is creeping down, but largely stable. But I am feeling stronger almost every time I'm in the water. And my intervals are becoming less modified from the ones Mark publishes.

Anyway, I'm really just saying that if the poster asking about that is like me, in that they can tell that they are improving, then I don't know if the test set will tell them much. If, on the other hand, they are pretty stable, and just in "maintenance" mode, then by all means, do them!

Alright, so I know I whined about the pool in which I train in the thread I started, but since this is largely a rant thread, I'll add a few more. First, there were a couple of folks doing assisted floating today. The one guy who has a noodle, paddles, fins, and a snorkle, and using all together, who does a 5 minute lap. Looks like he kind of skulls a litttle.

But here is something else. I have noticed that my stroke count, particularly in back, has been different depending on which way I was swimming. Well, I have been doing breast stroke workouts, and it became VERY obvious today how bad it is. So after breakout, in one direction, I hit the halfway tiles as I'm recovering from my second pull, pushing my arms back in front of me for my third reach. Goinig the other direction, it is a full stroke off. Very obviously when doing the sets taht are listed now, where they are batched by 25's - breakout +3 hard strokes, BO +5, BO +7, full sprint (also 50's, same except off of each wall, rather than beginning). The full length isn't as pronounced, it seems to all be up front. But iis is there, and it is real.

I have already posted that the surface is about a 36 grit, industrial strength abrasive that loves to stick to human flesh. And that there are no "+" signs on the wall, which makes judging flip turns a little easier, and that the jets are in the middle of the lane where you push off. Oh yeah, and that the steps are in a lane, rather than an "L" section, making one of teh 3 lanes useless to lap swimmers.

But get this. The pool is 4' deep at both ends. Gets to 5' at teh deepest point. Which is about 3 yards from one end of the pool. And that is where the two drains are. The drains are about 1' by 1' square. So it is apparently moving a lot of water, and since the depth doesn't change too much, it has a pretty big impact on the stroke count. Isn't as bad for other strokes, but for breast, it is vrey noticeable. I assume this is due to the time spent gliding after pushing off of the wall, rather than dolphin kicking or staying up on top of the water. So I'm not sure what kind of engineer designed that, but I suspect it wasn't one from Ga Tech!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    ...The one guy who has a noodle, paddles, fins, and a snorkle, and using all together, who does a 5 minute lap. Looks like he kind of skulls a litttle.

I have already posted that...there are no "+" signs on the wall, which makes judging flip turns a little easier, and that the jets are in the middle of the lane where you push off.

But get this. The pool is 4' deep at both ends. Gets to 5' at teh deepest point. Which is about 3 yards from one end of the pool. ... So I'm not sure what kind of engineer designed that, but I suspect it wasn't one from Ga Tech!!!
    Hopefully the noodler was sculling and not skulling. And while it used to bug me that noodlers were taking up valuable pool space, I’m now of the belief that anyone getting exercise in the water is doing a good thing!

As for no T’s or crosses at the turns, I suggest bringing a couple of diving bricks to place in the corners as reference points. Or if you have a few extra bucks, invest in a Pace Pal, you can put it in the pool as a turn reference point and a pace clock.

4 feet at the ends and 5 in the middle, that’s deeper than the Y I swim at. Count yourself lucky!

As for the Ga Tech engineer, my son was a “Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer…” also a decent swimmer on their team. I’m sure he’d design a pool that was unswimmable, just to spite us. And, it seems like most pools get designed to be Olympic ready, but through budget cuts the end up being a Motel 6 kidney bean.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Thank you, Dan. Your input is most appreciated.

Thanks for the test set suggestions. I think these are excellent, and may be very helpful to 67King who asked for help on his thread. 67, what do you think? For those who need to adjust the time intervals, that's perfectly fine!
    Yes thanks the set of 5X100 on 1:30 I average about 1:15 if I'm feeling good that day. So please adjust the interval so you get at least 10-15 sec rest. On the 3 min interval make sure you get at least 1:30 rest or more. You can do these two sets monthly or six weeks apart or whatever. The key for solo swimmers is to keep track over time. They both tax you in different ways and of course can be done in different stokes or IM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    Hopefully the noodler was sculling and not skulling. And while it used to bug me that noodlers were taking up valuable pool space, I’m now of the belief that anyone getting exercise in the water is doing a good thing!

As for no T’s or crosses at the turns, I suggest bringing a couple of diving bricks to place in the corners as reference points. Or if you have a few extra bucks, invest in a Pace Pal, you can put it in the pool as a turn reference point and a pace clock.

4 feet at the ends and 5 in the middle, that’s deeper than the Y I swim at. Count yourself lucky!

As for the Ga Tech engineer, my son was a “Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer…” also a decent swimmer on their team. I’m sure he’d design a pool that was unswimmable, just to spite us. And, it seems like most pools get designed to be Olympic ready, but through budget cuts the end up being a Motel 6 kidney bean.
    Hey, now. If your son was truly a Helluvanengineer, then you oughtta know we don't spell very well! I'm not knocking the guy, I agree with you. I just seemed to have created an expectation among some others that I'll throw in a little bit of humor in my posts based on a thread I started about moving from lap swimming to workouts. But I digress.

I'm getting better at finding the end of the pool. I have used fins as position markers in the past. And there are lines on the bottom of the pool. But I'm not consistent enough yet to do a flip turn without seeing the wall, itself, in front of me. Depth perception is lacking without something contrasting in front of me. What I have found is that if I get the lane with ladders on both ends, those are the best markers for me.

The depth. Wasn't a complaint. The point was the drains. They are huge and move a lot of water relative to the size of teh pool. And most of the time when you see drains like that, they are in deep water, or in the middle of the pool. Here they are at one end. So it is like I'm swimming in a river. In one direction, with the flow, the other direction, against the flow.

When was your son at Tech? Got my Bachelors in 97, so I was there when they were building the pool (and swam in a bubbled pool before, until I broke my ankle which ended my swimming), and my Masters in 2000. Didn't know any swimmers, though.

When was your son at Tech? Got my Bachelors in 97, so I was there when they were building the pool (and swam in a bubbled pool before, until I broke my ankle which ended my swimming), and my Masters in 2000. Didn't know any swimmers, though.
    Noah graduated in 2009, in Aero E and got his Masters in in 2012. It look like you two had similar trajectories.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Noah graduated in 2009, in Aero E and got his Masters in in 2012. It look like you two had similar trajectories.
    Oh, I only swam for exercise, not on the team or anything, I was NEVER anywhere nearly that good. My degrees were Materials Engineering. And seeing as you are from Fayetteville, I'm actually originally from Griffin. Congrats to your son, I really can't imagine getting through there as a scholarship athlete and getting an engineering degree. I'm quite sure you are rightfully proud of him!

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was not really trying to talk about that so much as getting stabilized. In other words, if one could go from, say 2:00 in a 100 stroke (we'll say breast) to a 1:40 in the span of a couple of months, then doing test sets may not be useful information. But if in another couple of months, one is only at 1:38, then at that point, yeah, do them! My first day in teh water, I could only wring out a 300 yard set. And I was only able to get a few in, and I think i cooled down with a 100. So grand total of 1000 yards in a bit over half an hour. That was early February. I just did a 1650 in 26:21 on Friday. Physically, I'm still losing weight, though I'm not trying. Heart rate is creeping down, but largely stable. But I am feeling stronger almost every time I'm in the water. And my intervals are becoming less modified from the ones Mark publishes.

Anyway, I'm really just saying that if the poster asking about that is like me, in that they can tell that they are improving, then I don't know if the test set will tell them much. If, on the other hand, they are pretty stable, and just in "maintenance" mode, then by all means, do them!
    I think it is better to establish a baseline early to quantify your improvement (or regression, which can happen and tell you you might need to make adjustments to your workout).

The clock can also suggest you are ready for more before you feel you are.
    On taper since 2012

Participating Member

Rob,

Noah got a Masters degree 5 years ago??? I remember when he was born! You were kicking my butt at Berkeley. Thanks for making me feel even older than I already did.

In case you are interested, I'm back swimming almost 2 years (after a very long layoff), and got my 200 free down to 1:58.9 this year. Lots of room for improvement, but much better than I was. Hope to see you at a Nationals in the future.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonCummins View Post
    I'm back swimming almost 2 years (after a very long layoff), and got my 200 free down to 1:58.9 this year.
    With apologies for continued off topic posts…

But, congratulations Ron on a sub 2:00 200 free in the 55-59 age group! Outstanding swim. And speaking of Berkeley, Cathy and I went back to Jersey in March to catch up with the NJ Masters and it’s amazing to see how many are still swimming 20 years later.

Oh, I only swam for exercise, not on the team or anything, I was NEVER anywhere nearly that good. My degrees were Materials Engineering. And seeing as you are from Fayetteville, I'm actually originally from Griffin. Congrats to your son, I really can't imagine getting through there as a scholarship athlete and getting an engineering degree. I'm quite sure you are rightfully proud of him!

As a moderator, you probably saw 67's thread where we discovered him mom is a friend of mine, and he used to be coached by Bob Bugg. Small world!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

With apologies for continued off topic posts…

I started this thread, and I say you can write as many off-topic posts as you want to on this thread.

Small world!
    That's part of the beauty of Masters Swimming... Even when you are a solo swimmer.

Very Active Member

Well, there are several factors on intervals, most male master swimmers swim faster than women master swimmers. People in their 40's usually swim faster than people in their 60's. I did a broken 100 I'm and hit the fly/back at 1:00 and the Breast/Free at 54. I took 30 seconds rest. 30 seconds rest works better for me since I'm a slow 60 year old woman.

Participating Member

Hi! I have just started swimming again after a 25 year hiatus - I swam from 10 yrs. old through my first year in college! My goal is to enter a Masters swim meet in November and compete in a couple of events. Right now I do about 1200 meters during my workouts and I'm trying to break them up a bit so I'm not just doing laps - kicking, 4x50 free, pull buoy etc... I don't really know how I'm suppose to train when it comes to entering a meet. If anyone could give me advice and/or share their story with me I would so appreciate it. I also need to know where to go to see the latest rules for starts and turns - I'm sure they have changed over the last 25 years. Thanks so much!

Welcome back to swimming, and welcome to the Solo Swimmers forum! Check out this link where you can find a link to a pdf file of the rule book for Masters: http://www.usms.org/rules/ .

A great resource for workouts is right here on the forums: http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?95-Workouts

Not knowing which events you are training for (sprints or distance?), it would be difficult to give training recommendations. The more information you can provide us, the better we will be able to assist you.

Happy swimming!

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    My #1 tip for solo swimming is already being discussed - live near great pools. For those of you who have the option to relocate, I highly recommend the greater Phoenix area. We have a stupid number of great pools with generous (and uncrowded lap swimming) and a bevy of great masters teams. Yeah, it's a little toasty in the summer and a little chilly swimming in the mornings outdoors in the winter, but, until the Colorado dries up or we lose access to our fair share of that river's bounty, Phoenix really is the land of pools.

My second tip is for those of you traveling and training - make the USMS 'Places to Swim' and www.swimmersguide.com as your top favorites on your browser and you'll almost always find a place to train.
    Patrick, I'm looking for a 50 meter pool in Phoenix that has lap swims lasting 2:30 hours so I can complete a USMS 10km Postal swim. I live up north in Prescott(short course pools only)I've referenced "places to swim" but it doesn't give enough info. Do you know of any pools for my purpose? I'd love to find a masters team that is planning a group 5/10km postal event.

Participating Member

Hi all:

Just thought I would post a quick thread. My team does not work out in the summer. So, I have working out on my own. I have purchased a few books to help with improvement of my technique. I have also purchased a finger timer so that I can keep track of my workout times. I am working on getting a camera to see my stroke, so that I may be able to improve form.

The biggest thing that has made a difference in my swimming is doing cross fit to help strengthen core.

I have purchased as stroke timer to try and get my tempo right. I have NOT done anything with that yet. I am still working to improving form and strength.

My 0.02

-e

Quote Originally Posted by NutsforKnitting View Post
    Hi! I have just started swimming again after a 25 year hiatus
    I don't feel alone with you getting back in the pool. On August 1, 2015 ended a 34 year absence from the pool. One thing you will experience is why are the starting blocks so high? They aren't and I had to get used to that again. Another thing that I noticed is that track starts are now the norm. I am still learning how to improve my track start on the blocks. I started out swimming alone with my partner in crime for many months but now split my time alone and with my team in different pools.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast