Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Solo Swimmers

Very Active Member

Re: Solo Swimmers

Agree, there may be a corporate interest pushing her for more expensive tests, and she definitely doesn't understand the mechanics of swimming. I've made an appointment with my former doc in Northern Virginia for a second opinion and I'm having the x rays sent to him. If he thinks there's a reason for more tests, I'll do the MRI. Otherwise, the McKenzie technique that I've been using for my neck has worked very well and if I don't slump or push my head forward I'm pretty much pain free. My physical therapist said I'm not the first person she's heard complain about this particular doc, btw.

Hi Denise, I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations. I agree with many of the responses here encouraging you to get a second opinion. Finding both a doctor who understands athletic needs AND a coach with a keen knowledge of his/her athletes' individual needs is very important to keep you active and practicing the sport that you love! Keep us posted on how things go!

Very Active Member

Hi, Julia: I am still interested in working with you. I sent you a pem a while back but didn't hear anything. I'm am seeking a second opinion with the doc who originally ordered my neck MRI and who seems a lot more in tune with the needs of people like me who just want to stay fit.

Hi Denise! I actually moved to Florida in July, so I'm no longer in your area, unfortunately. However, if you are interested in spending a weekend in beautiful Saint Augustine, I will be giving a freestyle stroke technique clinic there on Sunday, February 5th! www.swimspire.com/swimspire-and-anastasia-fitness-present-freestyle-stroke-clinic-saint-augustine-florida/

Either way, best of luck with everything. Hope it all works out so that you can continue to pursue the sport you love!

Very Active Member

Oh, dear.

I've been to St. Augustine, years ago, and it's beautiful, so congratulations on your move, though I'm sad I didn't get a chance to work with you.

One of the more interesting parts of being a solo swimmer is I have had less aches and pains than when I was on my former team. I no longer have a limited time to get in my workout vs a team's schedule. I think the most important thing is I now have greatly extended my warm ups. While it is not just swimming slow I do almost a mile of swimming, kicking, pulling and drills before I do any hard sets. I try to do almost all my "warm up" sets in an each one faster or descend mode so I don't go all out on the first swim. After that I can do almost any kind of set and I feel ready for some hard swims. Now I have to force myself to equal this amount of warm up at my meets. Takes a while but I think it's worth it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kornblatt View Post
    While it is not just swimming slow I do almost a mile of swimming, kicking, pulling and drills before I do any hard sets. I try to do almost all my "warm up" sets in an each one faster or descend mode so I don't go all out on the first swim. After that I can do almost any kind of set and I feel ready for some hard swims. Now I have to force myself to equal this amount of warm up at my meets. Takes a while but I think it's worth it.
    I do the same thing. I have a standard 1500 warmup that I usually do in much the same fashion you describe (or small variations thereof). I also do it at pretty much all meets except Nationals or big meet when I'm tapered and don't need that much to get ready to race. I find that doing the same warmup each day also acts as a good barometer for where I am in my training and what kind of workout I need to do (e.g., too slow and sluggish compared to prior days might augur a day of R&R).

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I do the same thing. I have a standard 1500 warmup that I usually do in much the same fashion you describe (or small variations thereof). I also do it at pretty much all meets except Nationals or big meet when I'm tapered and don't need that much to get ready to race. I find that doing the same warmup each day also acts as a good barometer for where I am in my training and what kind of workout I need to do (e.g., too slow and sluggish compared to prior days might augur a day of R&R).
    I did a lot of underwater pulls which helped me in breaststroke in the 100 yard face. Now, on a team maybe not so much this. I do all the strokes even though I recently just swam the 50 and 100 yard breaststroke.

Participating Member

I'm a new solo swimmer. We have a lovely 50yd. pool at the gym I belong to, and while it's a half hour drive from my house (I live in the boonies in between two cities) it's only a 2 minute drive from my work. I started going to the gym to lose weight as 200lbs on my 5'3" frame is just too much, but quickly discovered the severe plantar fasciitis in my left foot meant bicycling was pretty much my only option for cardio besides the pool, and I just simply can't stationary bike long enough mentally to burn more than 200 calories. I hate it and get bored, so down to the pool I went. I love being in the water, it's like home to me lol, and I'm very comfortable there. I started out swimming two laps and being so out of breath I thought I was dying a month ago, to swimming 28 laps (100 yds. each lap) today. I alternate between breaststroke and backstroke. I wish I could get more into freestyle, I see all the other lap swimmers doing it exclusively, my form isn't horrible either (I had lots of swimming lessons as a kid and learned all the proper techniques for each stroke) but I just can't get into it like I do backstroking. I'd do it exclusively except I make myself do the breaststroke every other length just because it's more of a challenge physically and to avoid repetitive injury as well. There is a masters team there I'd love to join as well, but when you live in a different school district, your nine year old doesn't get on the school bus until 7:10 and all practices are at 6:30 am, it doesn't work for me right now at all schedule-wise. Maybe one day when she's old enough to reliably get herself up, dressed, fed, and on the bus on time every day, but until then I'm stuck with solo swims after work 4-5 times a week. I also walk a mile in the lazy river with all the old timers after each swim as well lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FINIS Tempo Trainer Pro.

Very Active Member

Breaststroke burns a bunch of calories - just ask ElaineK, one of the most fit swimmers I've ever met. It's her stroke and she's amazing. So don't worry if it's what you prefer. I've heard that some folks are just naturals at it. Me, I swim it like a one-legged frog and I'm out of breath halfway across the pool.

Congratulations on your commitment to swimming. I'm just getting into again after a long layoff and am out of breath after a lap. It takes time, so be patient. And yes, as realAlbertan says, a FINIS Tempo Trainer Pro can help, just set it to a slow speed to start out.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    Breaststroke burns a bunch of calories - just ask ElaineK, one of the most fit swimmers I've ever met. It's her stroke and she's amazing.
    ​Thanks, Denise!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Solo swimming is fun. I use the pace clock a lot. I go from doing more yardage to speed workouts.

Very Active Member

I never had problems with breaststroke. Its backstroke and even when their flags I still get figure where the wall is.

Very Active Member

Someone said to count the strokes between the time you see the flags and hit the wall, except in my case, it's more hit the wall and wonder where I lost count.

I'm now working with a swim coach to get my stamina back, so hopefully I'll be able to say I'm back up to a mile, or even two.
    Last edited by DeniseMW; March 9th, 2017 at 08:26 AM.

Very Active Member

This week I swam more breaststroke and butterfly with a little freestyle and back. I did a 57 second breastroke and a 55 to 56 butterfly. I usually did from 58 to 1:08. I trying to use speed on certain ones but do some slow swimming and I swam only 1,000 at Thursday and 1,100 on Friday.

Great job! Better than me. I'm envious.

Blog Entries

I've decided my "crazy swimming thing" for my 50th birthday is going to be 50 50s on :50. I've already started prepping for this and ugh, ugh, ugh. I'm not a very fast swimmer, and I hate pushing myself. But I'm going to do it. Basically it's going to be five sets of 10 x 50. I did two sets last Sunday, two broken sets last night (one 10 x 50 and two 5 x 50s). Wednesday and Sunday I'm going to attempt 4 sets. Provided I'm able to keep at this (in other words, no health, work, or family-related disasters) I will have built up to the full five sets by late May, and then will really work on speed. My birthday is mid-June. Wish me luck!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy H. View Post
    I've decided my "crazy swimming thing" for my 50th birthday is going to be 50 50s on :50. I've already started prepping for this and ugh, ugh, ugh. I'm not a very fast swimmer, and I hate pushing myself. But I'm going to do it. Basically it's going to be five sets of 10 x 50. I did two sets last Sunday, two broken sets last night (one 10 x 50 and two 5 x 50s). Wednesday and Sunday I'm going to attempt 4 sets. Provided I'm able to keep at this (in other words, no health, work, or family-related disasters) I will have built up to the full five sets by late May, and then will really work on speed. My birthday is mid-June. Wish me luck!

You can do it, Nancy! Happy early birthday!

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

I did 4 sprint 25 two breast and fly. Later In did a 100 yard I'm at 1:54 and a 50 fly 2 minutes later at 56. I did only 700 yards total but was very tired because of the 100 I'm and 50 yard fly. I like to find out how I'm dong by the sprint work.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast