Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Solo Swimmers

Participating Member

Re: Solo Swimmers

I finally bought a camera. I will be using it soon.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emarsh View Post
    I finally bought a camera. I will be using it soon.
    Not until your doctor clears you after that nasty car accident, though! I read about it on your thread, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I was rear-ended in 1992 and had a nasty neck injury that has come back to haunt me. I feel for you...

Anyway, welcome to my thread.
    It's nice to have you here.

AFTER you are cleared to swim, feel free to have somebody use your camera to shoot video of your stroke. Post it on the forums along with a request to have your stroke critiqued, and you will get some expert feedback from the other Forumites.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    AFTER you are cleared to swim, .
    What Elaine said! And welcome aboard!

Participating Member

Hello all! I've been swimming with a Master's team for almost a decade now but I'm transitioning to solo swimming (nothing against my current master's team, they're AMAZING, it just doesn't fit into my life right now). I'm looking forward to lurking in this thread ;P

Welcome to the thread and to the forum! Solo swimming comes with great opportunities but also some challenges along the way. This is the place to be for great advice if you have any questions. Elaine (who actually started this thread) wrote a great article on solo swimming, which might be of help to you: https://www.swimspire.com/six-suggestions-solo-swimmer/

Good luck!

Thanks again for the shout-out, Swimspire! to the thread, 'Stripes!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Im basically a solo swimmer, and really, I hate it. Sometimes I get company, but even though they are nice people, they are not interested in actually racing/working hard or doing the type of workouts I want to do (long, hard sets with a total >4500), and so I am often left feeling frustrated with them. I do try to modify my workout so were all happy, but, yeah, no.
    And some days I get a really competitive companion, who swims circles around me! (Then I feel sorry for myself and demoralized.) I cant win - I have too many demons in my head. (Which is why I went swimming in the first place!)

Blog Entries

The demoralizing effect of being in wake often makes us faster

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Im basically a solo swimmer, and really, I hate it. Sometimes I get company, but even though they are nice people, they are not interested in actually racing/working hard or doing the type of workouts I want to do (long, hard sets with a total >4500), and so I am often left feeling frustrated with them. I do try to modify my workout so were all happy, but, yeah, no.
    And some days I get a really competitive companion, who swims circles around me! (Then I feel sorry for myself and demoralized.) I cant win - I have too many demons in my head. (Which is why I went swimming in the first place!)
    My experience has been that when I go the same time, and almost daily, the other swimmers do their best to give me a lane. It may be because I'm often the first to offer up to split when someone new comes in, but more and more frequently, the others will consolidate and let me keep a lane.

Very Active Member

I know I've complained about the noodlers in this thread, but got a new record today. Of the two pools I swim at, one is great, the toher one pretty much sucks (both Gold's, 20 minutes apart). Water aerobics/Zoomba classes start at 10. The "preferred" one.....folks don't get in the water until class starts. They leave a lane open in case any lap swimmers want to do anything. They are nice, talk to you, smile, etc. DOn't block the lanes so you can get in and out. At any rate, the "bad" pool.....they block the lanes, kind of crowd out you a good 30 minutes ahead of time. Generally not as friendly. And they'll hop in the lane in front of you way early. At any rate, I stroll in today.......2 hours before class starts. And someone has already put their equipment down for the class. 2 hours ahead of time, they were blocking a lane. Of course, in the 1hr, 15 minutes I was there, they never showed, but sheesh, people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    The demoralizing effect of being in wake often makes us faster
    Sometimes. When I was twelve, maybe.
    today was a good day. I downloaded that new ap with the pace clock on my iPad, and planned a challenging little IM set for myself that Ive enjoyed in the past. I did better than I would have expected on my own. We have 20 lanes now thT we are back to SCY, and the Kids are off for a week or two. I miss them and their big clock at 5:30 in the morning! I miss chasing them! But I had a good little workout today 😊

Participating Member

Started with Masters about a year ago after a 40 year break from swimming. Took the last year to work on my strokes and steadily increase my yardage. I swim at 5:30 am so I don't swim "with" a group however I do catch up with other masters on the weekend and they will provide you with stroke tips that you miss from your horizontal plane. Now I am doing intervals (recently inspired by a meet)

Some things I have learned by being on my own as well as tips from others are:

• warm up to swim, don't swim to warm up - do dry land to lubricate the shoulders, hips and knees along with some stretches
    • when you find yourself dreading getting in the water, just act like it is your wudu, and be thankful you have the opportunity to swim consider it a blessing
    • actually do a little water warm up (I do about 200 just to start pushing the lactic acid out of the muscle)
    • plan your workout. if you don't have a plan, you don't have a clue, this goes for life outside the pool as well. i plan for the whole week
    • mix up your workouts, don't get burnt out.
    • carry a small white board with your workout written. this formalized things and will make you more accountable. you'll have a better chance of completing what you set out to do.
    • pick a thing to concentrate on while doing a set (turns, finishing stroke, head position that kind of stuff) get it on white board
    • do a warm down of some sort even if its just goofing off and pushing yourself off the bottom of the pool. think how you had fun as a kid. hot shower helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by javadave View Post
    • plan your workout. if you don't have a plan, you don't have a clue, this goes for life outside the pool as well. i plan for the whole week
    • carry a small white board with your workout written. this formalized things and will make you more accountable. you'll have a better chance of completing what you set out to do.
    Welcome to my Solo Swimmers thread, Dave! It's nice to have you here. Thanks for offering your tips; you listed some excellent ones. I, too, use a white board; however I use it to keep track of what I have done (including my splits) rather than write down what I am going to do.

Although you make good points about making yourself more accountable and planning out your week, there is a very good reason NOT to stick to your planned workout or feel guilty about it if you don't: AVOIDING INJURY.

I'm sure King Frog (Allen Stark) will agree with me on that point. As a world-record 200 breaststroker, the last thing he would want to do is continue with a USRPT breaststroke set if he feels a twinge in one of his frog legs. Being a frog myself (but nowhere near his caliber!), I have to be very careful. I had hip surgery five years ago, and if I feel any twinge on my right side when I swim ANY stroke, I will immediately stop and change my set. Sometimes, I will change in mid-pool, and just keep going with the set as just breaststroke pull or feet first scull. I will adjust my interval, but and just keep going. If I still feel any pain, I will STOP.

There have been some days I had great intentions of training a specific workout; however, I had to make changes on the fly. Speaking of fly, I do 60 military-style push-ups (Although, I can't quite get my chin all the way to the floor on them, so I'm working on it!), three times per week. On some mornings following those push-ups, my shoulders can't handle swimming fly. On other days, I feel perfectly able to do a USRPT set of fly and put in 500 yards of it before I quit. I don't let myself off the hook though. I stay accountable by always having substitution sets in mind to plug in when I need to avoid injury.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to stay INJURY-FREE! The best way to do that is train all four strokes and have a good variety of drills in your memory bank to draw from if you need to eliminate kick or pull. Doing these things will keep you in the water, as will being flexible to change things up in the middle of a workout. Listen to your body!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526