Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 274

Thread: Solo Swimmers

  1. #221
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    tucson ,arizona
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Well, I did a 1,900 workout yesterday where after doing a 100 yard breaststroke kick I waited about a minute and swam a 200 yard butterfly at 4:45. I went a 50 yard fly at 1:00 at the end and felt tired. Today, I did a lite workout under 1,000 yards. Your body needs changed. Next week, I think I will sprint some 25 yards which I have not done in a while.

  2. #222
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Hello, I just joined this forum and I'm a solo swimmer. I basically only swim during the summer. My aim is to train for an half ironman to be completed in the next years. On my swim sessions I usually try to swim from 1km up to 2.5km. I swim only freestyle and the thing I miss the most is having the chance to be corrected while I swim. I used to do swimming courses when I was a kid and a teenager.

  3. #223
    Active Member f1refl1es!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bowie MD US
    Posts
    68
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey, solo swimmers! Welcome to the thread for all of us who train solo. Whether you train on your own due to a lack of a Masters team in your area (or for any other reason), this is our virtual locker room. Please post training tips that you think would be helpful, or anything else you would like to share with the rest of us. Have a rant? Go ahead and vent here!
    Hi Elaine, and everyone,

    I am brand new to USMS and really new to swimming. I didn't swim in school, though I love the water and have visited pools and paddled around a lot, my whole life. I don't have the advantage now of living near great pools or near a team. I just got hooked again on swimming because my youngest grandsons and their mom (my daughter-in-law) introduced me to a very nice friendly pool near all of us. I haven't found a coach or lessons anywhere, and the summer is waning! Here in Maryland, I'm going to need to find indoor waters pretty soon.

    I find YouTube videos amazingly helpful. (And I just put Elaine's book recommendation on my to-read list). But I'd really love to find adult beginner lessons around here. I can swim a half-decent side stroke, and my crawl seems passable to me, but I really could use a lot of work on conditioning (I have heard it referred to by swimmers as "dryland") so I don't overwork new muscles. I also need help with breathing tempo.

    I am very, very aware I'm a newb and I try hard not to annoy or get in the way of the more pro swimmers -- I guess one nice thing about the pool I swim at now may be that everyone is about like me, so none of us annoy one another!

  4. #224
    Very Active Member Sumorunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Latham, NY
    Posts
    244

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Check the places to swim page here. https://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=9

  5. #225
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,205

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by f1refl1es! View Post
    Hi Elaine, and everyone,

    I am brand new to USMS and really new to swimming. I didn't swim in school, though I love the water and have visited pools and paddled around a lot, my whole life. I don't have the advantage now of living near great pools or near a team. I just got hooked again on swimming because my youngest grandsons and their mom (my daughter-in-law) introduced me to a very nice friendly pool near all of us. I haven't found a coach or lessons anywhere, and the summer is waning! Here in Maryland, I'm going to need to find indoor waters pretty soon.

    I find YouTube videos amazingly helpful. (And I just put Elaine's book recommendation on my to-read list). But I'd really love to find adult beginner lessons around here. I can swim a half-decent side stroke, and my crawl seems passable to me, but I really could use a lot of work on conditioning (I have heard it referred to by swimmers as "dryland") so I don't overwork new muscles. I also need help with breathing tempo.

    I am very, very aware I'm a newb and I try hard not to annoy or get in the way of the more pro swimmers -- I guess one nice thing about the pool I swim at now may be that everyone is about like me, so none of us annoy one another!
    Nice to have you with us on the Solo Swimmers thread! Good luck in your search for lessons; that's a great idea! If you are unable to locate a swim class, perhaps you can find a coach who is willing to provide individual lessons and coaching for you. You say there are "pro swimmers" at your pool. Get talkin' with them and see if any of them are coaches!

    In the meantime, sign up for a free subscription of swimming videos at http://www.GoSwim.TV .
    The videos on the free subscription option are excellent! Watch, and then try to copy what they do when you are in the pool.

    Good luck!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  6. #226
    Active Member f1refl1es!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bowie MD US
    Posts
    68
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Thank you Jack, for that link. I think I had taken a look at that, before I joined USMS a couple of months back. Most of these are a hike away for me, although I will check out one of them - I thought it was a commercial, membership facility and I'd need to become a member, but, we'll soon see. Only one listing that is *sorta* close to me, has a Masters team listed for it. If I phone around, though maybe I will uncover some that haven't gotten on the list yet.

  7. #227
    Active Member f1refl1es!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bowie MD US
    Posts
    68
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Nice to have you with us on the Solo Swimmers thread! Good luck in your search for lessons; that's a great idea! If you are unable to locate a swim class, perhaps you can find a coach who is willing to provide individual lessons and coaching for you. You say there are "pro swimmers" at your pool. Get talkin' with them and see if any of them are coaches!

    In the meantime, sign up for a free subscription of swimming videos at http://www.GoSwim.TV .
    The videos on the free subscription option are excellent! Watch, and then try to copy what they do when you are in the pool.

    Good luck!

    Thanks Elaine! I'll get talking, and yes, GoSwim .TV is great; I also enjoy watching SwimLifeGuru and generally, find something new when I search something like "beginning swimming" there. There is a blog I just found too, MyDailySwim, which offers some workouts that I think I can manage.

    It has been rainy here the past few days and I am itching to get back in the swim!

  8. #228
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Red Oak, Texas
    Posts
    3

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Thanks so much for the links! I'm training for sprints - was never a distance girl. I have been doing free, back and breast during workouts and have tried mixing it up a bit with sets of 50 free, back and breast. I'm not sure how much rest I should give myself between 50's. Right now I do the 50 free's on the 1:15, averaging a .45-.50 time for each 50. For back and breast I give myself 1:30. I warm up with about 600 meters same 3 strokes both swimming and kicking. I'm just now starting the fly, but it is taking me awhile on that one! I see the workouts posted but it looks like I have some research to do regarding terminology that is new to me. I so appreciate this site. Any advice you can give me would be so appreciated.

  9. #229
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Red Oak, Texas
    Posts
    3

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Thanks for the encouragement! That is one thing I am wondering about... The pool I practice in does not have starting blocks and the local YMCA doesn't have them either. I'm going to have to try and find a way to get to a pool that has them so I can practice my starts. Thanks again.

  10. #230
    Active Member f1refl1es!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bowie MD US
    Posts
    68
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Great thread!! I am a newb, and at first, the mere IDEA of having the presence of mind to count strokes, seemed so foreign to me. Well, today, I managed to DO IT. A modest accomplishment, to be sure, but, in the forward direction of progress! These hints and tips are really helpful!!

  11. #231
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,205

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Nuts and f1re, keep up the good work!

    Nuts, check out the very first post on those workout threads for terminology. There should be a "sticky" with an explanation. The Basic Training workouts has one, for example.

    F1re, I'm obsessed with counting strokes on breaststroke, my best stroke. It has become so automatic that even if I got distracted and didn't consciously count, I would know how many strokes I swam when I got to the wall (in a 25-yard pool). King Frog (Allen Stark) got me in the habit when I joined USMS seven years ago, and now it's as automatic as breathing!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  12. #232
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    galion OH
    Posts
    79

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Hi f1refl1es! I sent a pm to you also .... would be happy to come and meet you for a session. I am in Baltimore often visiting my daughter, son-in-law and grandbaby. I usually have access to a car and could come to your town, which looks to be south of Baltimore but not far.

  13. #233
    Active Member f1refl1es!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bowie MD US
    Posts
    68
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Thanks aguins, I wrote back. Yep, we could also consider identifying a meeting spot around Annapolis or in Anne Arundel County - both seem to have more possibilities than my specific neighborhood so far. It would be great to make it happen!!

  14. #234
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States, Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    341

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Lesson learned today. Don't swim in the lane next to walkers or noodlers because chances are good they didn't shower before getting in the pool and have enough perfume on to fog up a bordello. And you will get an awful headache.

  15. #235
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    5

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    I learned a valuable lesson today. I went straight to the pool after work and only had a pair of board shorts on me in my swim bag. I had been to a water park with family the other day and forgot about them. I figured I would do laps in them since I couldn't be bothered to go back home and get my speedo. I'll never do laps in board shorts again. Biggest and stupidest mistake I could have made. The drag was unbearable and everyone was looking at me like I was an idiot. I'll be making sure I have my swim briefs in the bag from now on before I get to the pool.

  16. #236
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,731
    Blog Entries
    2006

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by DB7051 View Post
    I learned a valuable lesson today. I went straight to the pool after work and only had a pair of board shorts on me in my swim bag...
    I've forgotten so many things over the years ... a lot of times any kind of suit, so even board shorts are better than skipping an entire workout for want of approved swimwear.

    My favorite 'forget and make do with what you got' was when I showed up at a pool without a cap (which is typical for me, but a cap was required at this pool) and I had to swim with one of those 'shark fin' kiddie caps that was in the lost and found. My head's pretty darn large to begin with, so it was more like a shark-fin-yamulke than a shark-fin-swim-cap. (I still got in a good swim).

  17. #237
    Very Active Member Sumorunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Latham, NY
    Posts
    244

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    Don't swim in the lane next to walkers or noodlers because chances are good they didn't shower before getting in the pool and have enough perfume on to fog up a bordello.
    At my fitness ctr. there is a deep water aerobics class 9:30-10:30, maybe 30 women between 60 & 80. So a few times I arrived at exactly 10:30. I won't do that again. As soon as I jumped in I was overwhelmed. It dissipates fairly quickly though, by 11:00 it's OK.

  18. #238
    Very Active Member Sumorunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Latham, NY
    Posts
    244

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by DB7051 View Post
    ... I'll never do laps in board shorts again. Biggest and stupidest mistake I could have made. The drag was unbearable and everyone was looking at me like I was an idiot.
    No, they don't think you're an idiot, just a novice. There was a guy last spring who joined our masters team practices for several weeks in baggy trunks. A 30-something, he was barely keeping ahead of me twice his age.

  19. #239
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    tucson ,arizona
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Well, I had the funniest dream I was in the pool with Michael Phelps and said how I admired him. I would have dreams about swimming a better time than I did as a kid. I know I will not do that, but dreams are funny. I keep up with swimming each stroke and had a very light workout of only 900 yards today.

  20. #240
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States, Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    341

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    cinc3100 what a wonderful dream.

    Well, it looks like it's back to the doctor for me. The pain in my arm hasn't gone away and I'm thinking it might be a shoulder thing, right side this time, and no way am I having another surgery. I'm still walking on all that sunshine the doctor blew up my skirt from the last one - oh, you'll be back in the pool in three months, blah, blah, blah.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Converting lap swimmers to Masters swimmers?
    By au-girl98 in forum Coaches and Club Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 16th, 2016, 09:11 PM
  2. Do you train with others or solo?
    By SinkOrSwim123 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 11th, 2013, 05:18 PM
  3. going solo at nat's
    By born2fly in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
  4. Anyone else actually enjoy solo workouts?
    By sftom in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: February 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
  5. Those who practice solo...
    By USMSarah in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: February 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •