Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Solo Swimmers

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Solo Swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    cinc3100 what a wonderful dream.

Well, it looks like it's back to the doctor for me. The pain in my arm hasn't gone away and I'm thinking it might be a shoulder thing, right side this time, and no way am I having another surgery. I'm still walking on all that sunshine the doctor blew up my skirt from the last one - oh, you'll be back in the pool in three months, blah, blah, blah.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Denise. How about the McKenzie Technique PT exercises for that shoulder?
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Yup, as soon as the doc tells me what's wrong I'm going back to the McKenzie therapist. It's not going to keep me out of the pool.

Update: doc says it's an inflamed rotator cuff so he gave me a cortisone shot (which hurt like heck) and I'm going back to PT. So swimming for a week but he thinks the shot and the pt will clear it up.
    Last edited by DeniseMW; September 14th, 2017 at 10:42 AM.

Participating Member

Smile Re: Solo Swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    Update: doc says it's an inflamed rotator cuff so he gave me a cortisone shot (which hurt like heck) and I'm going back to PT. So swimming for a week but he thinks the shot and the pt will clear it up.
    Ouch! I know rotator cuff is a really vulnerable area of the body. I don't do enough moves to keep it strong, this is a useful reminder, to put those into rotation in my strength training.

I hope that yours heals up fast!

I just found a new place to swim, myself. (It has taken me weeks to get myself in gear and check a few out. I visited one park & planning pool that's very small. But, they do offer classes. I'm signed up for some but they don't start until NOVEMBER so, I'm solo swimming for now)

Participating Member

I just ran into this blog post by Olivier Poirier-Leroy on his site (https://www.yourswimlog.com/how-to-p...mers-shoulder/ ) and it looks really helpful for prevention. Hmmm, I sleep wonderfully on my side. I'm not sure that I can even fall asleep, on my back, as the article recommends. I suspect that if I do manage to fall asleep, I would unconsciously turn onto my shoulder. I can certainly do some of the other moves though - foam rolling, and the quadriped thoracic spine rotation do look worth trying!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213