Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Solo Swimmers

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Solo Swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    cinc3100 what a wonderful dream.

Well, it looks like it's back to the doctor for me. The pain in my arm hasn't gone away and I'm thinking it might be a shoulder thing, right side this time, and no way am I having another surgery. I'm still walking on all that sunshine the doctor blew up my skirt from the last one - oh, you'll be back in the pool in three months, blah, blah, blah.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Denise. How about the McKenzie Technique PT exercises for that shoulder?
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Yup, as soon as the doc tells me what's wrong I'm going back to the McKenzie therapist. It's not going to keep me out of the pool.

Update: doc says it's an inflamed rotator cuff so he gave me a cortisone shot (which hurt like heck) and I'm going back to PT. So swimming for a week but he thinks the shot and the pt will clear it up.
    Last edited by DeniseMW; September 14th, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Solo Swimmers

Update: doc says it's an inflamed rotator cuff so he gave me a cortisone shot (which hurt like heck) and I'm going back to PT. So swimming for a week but he thinks the shot and the pt will clear it up.
    Ouch! I know rotator cuff is a really vulnerable area of the body. I don't do enough moves to keep it strong, this is a useful reminder, to put those into rotation in my strength training.

I hope that yours heals up fast!

I just found a new place to swim, myself. (It has taken me weeks to get myself in gear and check a few out. I visited one park & planning pool that's very small. But, they do offer classes. I'm signed up for some but they don't start until NOVEMBER so, I'm solo swimming for now)

Blog Entries

I just ran into this blog post by Olivier Poirier-Leroy on his site (https://www.yourswimlog.com/how-to-p...mers-shoulder/ ) and it looks really helpful for prevention. Hmmm, I sleep wonderfully on my side. I'm not sure that I can even fall asleep, on my back, as the article recommends. I suspect that if I do manage to fall asleep, I would unconsciously turn onto my shoulder. I can certainly do some of the other moves though - foam rolling, and the quadriped thoracic spine rotation do look worth trying!

Blog Entries

I think I need some fins? I won't be in a regular swim class until November, which feels really far away right now! I hope to avoid learning too many bad habits while I sort of flail around at the pool, until then.

I asked at the pool desk, about the swim classes there, and I think perhaps the nice lady was worried that I had come for lap swimming but couldn't stay afloat. I can swim, generally! However, I don't swim well (I never competed, never swam in a team, remember). I've been watching YT videos and signed up for and follow SwimGuru. And I've found a good bit of good tips and advice here in various areas of the forums. But in person lessons can't hurt!

I really appreciate the camaraderie on here - I don't as yet have anything like this forum, IRL. I guess I also would love if the swimming lessons gave me an intro to a few likeminded folks!

I am a little bit lazy, and the nearer the pool, to me, the better. So, at least for now, I'm swimming at the local community college's pool, which is just about 15 minutes away from me. It doesn't AFAIK have a Masters team but it's a nice pool. I've found a few old posts about Anne Arundel County MD pools, and I will try to get to some of those, too - it seems as if all of the USMS action is farther from me than I'd like.
    Just enjoying swimming for fitness and relaxation, in Maryland

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by f1refl1es! View Post
    I think I need some fins? I won't be in a regular swim class until November, which feels really far away right now! I hope to avoid learning too many bad habits while I sort of flail around at the pool, until then.

I asked at the pool desk, about the swim classes there, and I think perhaps the nice lady was worried that I had come for lap swimming but couldn't stay afloat. I can swim, generally! However, I don't swim well (I never competed, never swam in a team, remember). I've been watching YT videos and signed up for and follow SwimGuru. And I've found a good bit of good tips and advice here in various areas of the forums. But in person lessons can't hurt!

I really appreciate the camaraderie on here - I don't as yet have anything like this forum, IRL. I guess I also would love if the swimming lessons gave me an intro to a few likeminded folks!

I am a little bit lazy, and the nearer the pool, to me, the better. So, at least for now, I'm swimming at the local community college's pool, which is just about 15 minutes away from me. It doesn't AFAIK have a Masters team but it's a nice pool. I've found a few old posts about Anne Arundel County MD pools, and I will try to get to some of those, too - it seems as if all of the USMS action is farther from me than I'd like.
    I'm in Anne Arundel. Olympic Swim Center in Annapolis is the best pool in the county and North Arundel Swim Center is good, too, though not as big. I don't know what part of AA you're in but there's also a great pool in Columbia http://aquaticfun.net/ColumbiaMarylandaquaticcenter. If you look up the masters clubs in Maryland you'll find the ones that are near you - none near me but I'm out by Crofton.

Blog Entries

I am then actually, very near you -- I live in the Bowie area. I have family in Edgewater, and I'm familiar with the AA County locations. I do plan on going to both to at least visit and swim once to see how they feel (if you know what I mean). But from my PG location, there are closer pools with easier commutes. Right now I am not able to swim for long periods or distance. So a quick trip TO a pool where I swim briefly, seems to make more sense. Columbia would be too much of a hike for me except on a special occasion. I'm trying hard to get out and swim at least 3x per week, and then, in November, I'll be taking the swim classes at the Curry Sports & Learning Center (which btw has two nice pools, one for leisure and one that is a traditional pool with lanes).

Thanks very much for posting. I hope your shoulder issues resolve so you feel healthy again, and hey, maybe we'll bump into one another if we happen to be at the same pool at the same time.

Blog Entries

Just wanted to post an update and a small vent. I am definitely going to head up to the Olympic Swim Center this coming week.

I just got notified that the ALTS class I was hoping to take IN NOVEMBER, is being cancelled because the Theresa Banks Aquatic Center will be closed for maintenance that week. I AM still on the roster for the other swim classes, so, I hope THEY are not cancelled. I've been able to get to the College swim center quite a few times, and overall I like swimming there. (Although I am still more comfortable in a pool where there are lanes shallower than my own height - I like to be able to touch bottom). Maybe I have a touch of aquaphobia, even though I can tread water and basically do swim after a fashion. I don't like to worry I will get winded and be stuck mid-lap. This (and breathing) is why I feel like I need swim classes.

Anyway, it's discouraging to have classes so hard to find and then being cancelled. I am going to check on what the cost is for a non-resident in AA County, and whether there are any openings. If I HAVE to travel to find a swim class session, so be it. I can always practice on my own at my nearby pool, I guess.

I hope everybody's doing well.

I'm sorry you are having so many frustrations, f1re! What a bummer. Good luck in your quest!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

I don't like going over my head, either, though I've done it. I get to where I can swim pretty well and I'm ready to hit the deeper lanes, then something goes off on my shoulder and I'm out of the pool for a month. It takes me a while to get my breathing back to normal.

I know what that frustration feels like - you think you're all set up for lessons then something goes off and you're back to searching again. It's part of being in a new area.

I'm in AA so a lot closer to the Olympic Swim Center (though still 20 minutes away compared to 10 when I lived in Fairfax County).

Very Active Member

I don't like going over my head, either, though I've done it. I get to where I can swim pretty well and I'm ready to hit the deeper lanes, then something goes off on my shoulder and I'm out of the pool for a month. It takes me a while to get my breathing back to normal.

I know what that frustration feels like - you think you're all set up for lessons then something goes off and you're back to searching again. It's part of being in a new area.

I'm in AA so a lot closer to the Olympic Swim Center (though still 20 minutes away compared to 10 when I lived in Fairfax County).
    Well, I try what is best for me which is a lot less yardage than the typical 10,000 to 15,000 a week for a masters swimmer. More like 5,000 yards a week and doing all the strokes with some sprinting. I want to prevent injury and worked more in a cycle with some weeks 5,000 and above and some more 4,000 and some when I very busy or need a rest around 2,000 to 3,000 a week. I swim every week. Doing lower yardage makes it possible for me to swim every week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinc3100 View Post
    Well, I try what is best for me which is a lot less yardage than the typical 10,000 to 15,000 a week for a masters swimmer. More like 5,000 yards a week and doing all the strokes with some sprinting. I want to prevent injury and worked more in a cycle with some weeks 5,000 and above and some more 4,000 and some when I very busy or need a rest around 2,000 to 3,000 a week. I swim every week. Doing lower yardage makes it possible for me to swim every week.
    Thanks for this, I think I am a sprinter by nature , myself (and I'm saying that, because of my experiences in running. Distance just does not suit me and I don't think it was good for my health, either!). I like a close-by pool option because as I mentioned, until I get better stamina developed, I don't want to push myself to swim for over an hour, and then feel beat up, next morning. So far, I think I'm doing that pretty well. Maybe I'm not progressing as quickly as I could. However, with this problem of classes, I am also a little wary about learning BAD habits that I will then fight in order to break!

I can swim every week, and that's feels really good.

I think I caught a glimpse (figuratively speaking) of a good breathing rhythm, the other day! I am really puzzled with how to breathe. But, the other day it was quiet at the pool, and I tried very hard to concentrate ON my breathing. I think I did okay, at least, with breathing to my left side. I can't make sense of the fact I can breathe quite well doing a sidestroke, but when I go to the crawl, I mentally seem to "lose it."

Thanks to you all for the support. I will persevere with finding classes! And I really DO plan to check out the AA County pools! I thought I'd get there this week, but, it's not gonna happen, life is busy!!

Blog Entries

Woo Hoo!!!! Special shout-out to Denise, because I went over to the Olympic Swim Center and I think I can get into a mid-October series of classes there! I hate driving in the awful metro area rush traffic, but I think the class start time will be far enough into the rush, that it should be a fairly smooth commute. I am very hopeful that this will work out!

Participating Member

I am a solo sprinter and wondering if anyone has successfully implemented USRPT over the 15m race distance (suggested by Rushall) in a 25m pool? I cannot completely focus on achieving my "Race Pace" as I am distracted by looking for markers on the pool and the lack of certainty of the wall finish. This makes accurate timing tremendously difficult on my own.

I am doing some research (for a college product design project) into the use of USRPT in sprint training. I am also interested in how swimmers currently monitor race pace over sprint repetition distances of less than 25m, and how they accurately define the distance.

If you have a spare few minutes and would like to help my project, I'd really appreciate it if you could fill out my survey:

https://stratheng.eu.qualtrics.com/j...Bd5HNYl6CtYQPX

Thanks,

Rachel

Very Active Member

It shouldn't be too bad because most of the rush hour traffic is coming out of Annapolis and really, the only hold-up is coming off Route 50. Compared to traffic in the rest of the area, it's literally a breeze. I'm glad I was able to be of service (bows modestly) and maybe I'll see you there.

Blog Entries

"I cannot completely focus on achieving my "Race Pace" as I am distracted by looking for markers on the pool and the lack of certainty of the wall finish."

Rachel, have you thought of bringing something to the pool with you that you can sink to the bottom at the 15M point like a pool toy or even a small weight? This would save you from having to find something on the surface to mark against.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Participating Member

Ah yes thanks- I have tried using pool sinkers and using this - in conjunction with the Turbo trainer pro (finis) set at a "target time" - is the closest I've come to monitoring if I'm swimming at race pace over 15m.

I'm still looking at designing something that's even more accurate for USRPT that gives immediate user feedback and can easily be used in a team setting

Very Active Member

What do you guys think. should I leave swimming. On another swimming site someone said that the internet is scary place and I should watched TV and how did I get on that site. I like swimming for exercise but feel real bad about that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by cinc3100 View Post
    What do you guys think. should I leave swimming. On another swimming site someone said that the internet is scary place and I should watched TV and how did I get on that site. I like swimming for exercise but feel real bad about that comment.
    Seriously? You would leave swimming because of a mean comment you read on the internet? If you enjoy swimming, as Dory said, "Just keep swimming!" Do yourself a favor, too, and don't let a total stranger on the internet make you feel bad! As the moderators of these Forums know, I was bullied by a few members, because they didn't like my blue Comic Sans Font. They tried to make me feel bad, but no can do! Here's the funny thing: I haven't seen them on the Forums in a long time, and I'm still here writing in my blue Comic Sans Font. To them, I say, " !"

Blog Entries

If you love swimming, I'd say, keep on swimming. If you don't like an internet site's posters, I'd say, don't go back to that site. As Elaine points out, those are total strangers, somewhere in the world, with computer connections. You know nothing about them, that is likely to have anything to do with you or your swimming, right?

I have only been here on the USMS forums for a few months, but, everyone HERE seems friendly and generous with help and advice. (And, no one here has ever suggested anyone should watch TV . Don't stay places where people make you feel bad -- find people and places that are challenging, enjoyable, and civil (of course).

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast