Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Solo Swimmers

Blog Entries

Re: Solo Swimmers

Yes, you swim much faster with fins. They can be used to help your no-fins times too, but mostly for sprint races. They help you learn how to minimize drag at 50 or 100 race pace speeds or faster.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

I agree with Swimspire 100%. Although I said in my earlier post that fins are good for strengthening the muscles in your legs and ankles, I neglected to elaborate or explain the flip side-- the pitfalls of using fins if not done properly. Personally, I haven't used fins since having hip surgery for a labral tear in 2014, because I am afraid of re-injuring my hip (or sustaining any other over-use injury). The labral tear wasn't caused by swimming or using fins ; however, I can see how the overuse of fins could cause that type of injury.

Ditto on the gloves. For that matter, I NEVER use paddles, because I am susceptible to repetitive stress injuries. (I know my body well enough to know I am a walking repetitive stress injury waiting to happen!)

It is CRUCIAL you use proper swimming technique, especially when using "toys" such as fins, paddles, pull buoys, etc. As your body ages, it is even more important! (I'm almost 56, so I can say this to you!)

My advice regardless if you decide to use fins or any other "toy" for swimming: Have a good swim coach teach you proper stroke technique, so you can avoid future injury. At the very least, have somebody shoot some short videos of your stroke (25 yards of swimming, for example) and post them here on the Forums for feedback.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Speaking of Swimspire, I am in GREAT company with King Frog (#9) and Kurt Dickson (#2) on Swimspire's 2017 Top Ten Articles list. I highly recommend their articles as well as the others on the list!

Solo Swimmers, my article (#7) is for you!

http://www.swimspire.com/swimspires-...icles-of-2017/

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Hey, everybody! Who is going to join me (virtually or otherwise!) for the first 2018 USMS Fitness Challenge? For those of you who compete at meets (like I do), please don't blow this off just because it's a non-competitive fitness event. The money raised goes to a great cause: Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.

I just signed up, and I plan on doing the event at my community pool, unless an event gets organized in Georgia that I can attend. If you don't have anybody to do the challenge with, be a part of our virtual "Solo Swimmers Team" here! After you complete your swim, post about your experience on this thread and let us know how it went for you. How did you do your swim (straight through, intervals, different strokes or just freestyle, etc.)? Were you happy with your swim? Did you do the swim with anybody else?

Good luck and have fun!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey, everybody! Who is going to join me (virtually or otherwise!) for the first 2018 USMS Fitness Challenge? For those of you who compete at meets (like I do), please don't blow this off just because it's a non-competitive fitness event. The money raised goes to a great cause: Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.

I just signed up, and I plan on doing the event at my community pool, unless an event gets organized in Georgia that I can attend. If you don't have anybody to do the challenge with, be a part of our virtual "Solo Swimmers Team" here! After you complete your swim, post about your experience on this thread and let us know how it went for you. How did you do your swim (straight through, intervals, different strokes or just freestyle, etc.)? Were you happy with your swim? Did you do the swim with anybody else?

Good luck and have fun!

Might do it. Is this like a half of an e-postal? I still can't figure out how to pace myself for crap. I'm getting in better shape, my mile time has dropped precipitously, but I still tend to overdo it, then flail. I had this problem when I was in high school with running longer distances, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    Might do it. Is this like a half of an e-postal? I still can't figure out how to pace myself for crap. I'm getting in better shape, my mile time has dropped precipitously, but I still tend to overdo it, then flail. I had this problem when I was in high school with running longer distances, too.

The difference between the new Fitness Challenge program and and an e-postal is that the $10 Fitness Challenge fee you pay goes to the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation. In addition, it's just a fun swim, you don't send in any results, and nothing gets tabulated.

My suggestion would be to use this as a great learning opportunity for pacing yourself. Rather than approaching the swim competitively, try playing around with different pacing to see how you feel. Take it out slower than usual, so you don't overdo it, and then gauge how you feel. If you find you have a lot left in the tank, pick up the pace and finish strong.

Participating Member

I joined the Fitness Challenge. I'm am new to this . I have been swimming since August. Just joined Masters. I also swam summer and high school as a kid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Wow. I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Cat fight? What?? Don't you think you are reacting with a bit of paranoia here? I can't begin to figure this out, so I won't bother.
    Just seeing this now. That was a very weird blowup!

Very Active Member

I have debated chiming in until I saw ElaineK's comment.

I do not use any "toys" - they are crutches. The only one that isn't a crutch is a kick board because it can help "stretch" the muscles under the arm pits. For some people. Sure, the manufacturers of toys will sing their praises and values. BUT, in real life in the pool, most of the time they are nothing more than a distraction and a change of pace - paddles, mitts, fins, etc.

For fins to help, you have to kick hard - most swimmers do not do this. For paddles to work, you have to pull/push hard to work the muscles. The pull-buoy does absolutely nothing for your swimming except allow your legs to rest. Even plain, simple kicking doesn't do much if you don't kick when you swim.

The best way to improve your swimming is to swim without toys and focus on the best technique you can muster when you swim. If you are really honest with yourself, you will realize, 90-95% of the time, toys just make it easier to swimmer faster without as much effort. What is the point???

I see swimmers bring their big old mesh bag to the deck - loaded with a gazillion things - because someone told them it would make them a better swimmer. Sorry folks - the toys do NOT do that. Simple swimming with good technique does.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Paul

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    I do not use any "toys" - they are crutches.
    Pretty much disagree completely. So long as they are used PROPERLY. FIns are great for UDK to build up anaerobic performance and to strengthen the core. I have only used them once (following the authored workouts posted in that forum) for anything else, it was a sprint. And because of the added speed, one can feel things not normally realized. Specifically, I have not used the high elbow pull in freestyle. But when swimming with fins, the arms almost feel like they are doing more harm than good, and by experimenting with my pull, I was able to feel the tremendous difference in drag between my more conventional pull and the high elbow one.

Paddles can help teach one proper hand positioning. I use paddles that are really too small for my hands, my fingertips reach the end. I only attach them through the middle finger. If your hand positioning gets off, the paddle will pull away from your hand or twist, which you will instantly feel. It communicates to you in ways that swimming wihtout paddles never will. That said, double edge sword - I have noticed that while twisting my hand as it exits the water near my hip, which reduces drag, I have picked up the habit of swinging my arm wide, which prevents me from reaching as far forward as I can.

I can't do pull sets without the pull buoy, my legs just sink. And the pull buoy also isolates the legs and prevents one from subconsciously kicking. The one I use actually goes around my lower legs, rather than my thighs, whiich helps engage the core, and also alleviate the tendency to kick a little (like bands do).

I use a snorkel with my kickboard, pushing the kickboard out ahead of me and resting only the palms of my hand on it. Press down, which again, engages the core. Using the snorkel helps reinforce proper head positioning my keeping the face down in the water.

Now, all that said.....just throwing on toys and swimming certainly isn't good. But proper use of them is by all means beneficial.

Participating Member

I mainly swim solo since I live about 35 minutes from the pool and the hours of the workouts never seem to coincide with what Im doing or when I can or want to go! Im sure its bec I lack alot of discipline about times and schedules. But hey swimming is a free floating sport so why be tied down to a time slot!!

Very Active Member

Arrow Re: Solo Swimmers

https://swimswam.com/first-time-ever...-swimmers/This is an article about a little drone that saved a swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by swimtastic View Post
    I joined the Fitness Challenge. I'm am new to this . I have been swimming since August. Just joined Masters. I also swam summer and high school as a kid.
    That's fantastic, Swimtastic! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.). Congratulations on taking up the best sport and exercise there is and for taking the step to join Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Just seeing this now. That was a very weird blowup!
    Yeah, ya think? I'm still .

Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    I have debated chiming in until I saw ElaineK's comment.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Paul
    Two like minds. Thanks for chiming in and venting!

Quote Originally Posted by girlfish View Post
    I mainly swim solo since I live about 35 minutes from the pool and the hours of the workouts never seem to coincide with what Im doing or when I can or want to go! Im sure its bec I lack alot of discipline about times and schedules. But hey swimming is a free floating sport so why be tied down to a time slot!!
    to our world (and thread), girlfish!

Very Active Member

I did my senior Olympics, I won 200 IM, the only woman in the 60-65 age group. It was 4:05.87. I won 100 yard breaststroke in my age group and their was 2 to 3 women at 1:50;34. Last year i pop a 1:48.58. so I was not that slower. I got 2nd in 400 yard freestyle at 8:22.16. I was pretty tired by the time I got to that even. Next Year I will do a 50 yard fly instead since there were no women in the event.

Participating Member

Hi Elaine,
    I just found this post and have joined up. I started swimming a few years ago at age 54 having never swam in my life except for the normal childhood swimming fun times. Finding swimming has been a great adventure and I just love it! My problem is consistency especially not having any club in my area. I am still learning the different strokes and improving continually. I did compete in the 2016 Senior Games but there was only 1 other swimmer in my local games which was very disappointing. It sounded good to say I won 7 gold medals, LOL!

I just started back swimming this week after a 4-5 month layoff. The goal is weight loss. One thing I find very disappointing about the USMS workouts is they all run up 2500-3000 yards per workout. Heck the warmups are more my style right now. I m excited about the Fitness Challenge workout starting out at lower yardages which will help alot.

Looking forward to fun and some good advice! Keep swimming!!

I'm glad you joined us here on the Solo Swimmers thread! Welcome back to the pool after your layoff. I'm glad you are enjoying swimming!

Following the Fitness Challenge workouts is a great place to start your journey. I checked them out, and I think you would be on the right track to follow that plan, since it is designed for swimmers just like you!

I wrote a couple of articles for Swimspire that may help you as well:
    http://www.swimspire.com/staying-sel...-solo-swimmer/
    and
    http://www.swimspire.com/six-suggestions-solo-swimmer/

I hope my tips will inspire you and help you to stick with swimming!

As for the USMS workouts that have 2500-3000 yards, they are not written in stone! Feel free to play with them to suit you. You could either reduce the number of repetitions per set or cut back the number of sets to total the amount of yardage best for your current fitness level. In addition, alter the interval times if needed.

Keep us posted on how your doing, ok?

Cheers!

Participating Member

Hey Everyone! Just subscribed to this thread. I swam competitively from the age of 6-19 and hated every second of it. Then I "grew up"(I'll be 25 soon) and realized how much I missed it. I joined Masters back in April/May of 2017 and I have loved every second of it. There are quite a few local groups I could swim with but I'm broke and I don't want to pay team dues. I have a meet coming up on the 4th of February that I am super excited for. I am swimming in 6 events: 400 Free, 200 Free, 200 IM, 100 Fly, 100 Back, and 100 Free. I also just signed up for the Fitness Challenge. I am happy that money is going to a good cause plus you get a free cap.... I mean come on, who doesn't love free stuff!

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast