Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 341 to 351 of 351

Thread: Solo Swimmers

  1. #341
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    , Casey! Nice to have you here! I am always happy to hear stories like yours. Things are lot different when you choose to do something on your own as an adult. I'm glad you returned to swimming and love it now.

    Good luck at your swim meet! I hope it goes well for you. More importantly, I hope you have fun!

    Good luck!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  2. #342
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Wilkesboro, NC
    Posts
    4

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Great articles Elaine. Thank you for referring them.

    Could you explain this from the intermediate workout.

    1 x 100 (25 pull / 25 kick / 25 swim) with fins

    I am thinking you use a pull buoy then just kick possibly holding the pull buoy, then swim, all with no break

  3. #343
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ljm344 View Post
    Great articles Elaine. Thank you for referring them.

    Could you explain this from the intermediate workout.

    1 x 100 (25 pull / 25 kick / 25 swim) with fins

    I am thinking you use a pull buoy then just kick possibly holding the pull buoy, then swim, all with no break
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the articles.

    Hmmm, something is missing from this 100 yard swim.
    25 + 25 + 25 only adds up to 75 yards! To total 100, I would make it a 50 swim. Go ahead and start with the pull buoy, and then toss it up on deck when you get to the other end to do your kick. (I prefer to do my kicking without a toy, so that I get proper body position. Make sure to keep you abs tight and your hips up at the surface, and get in a streamlined position with your arms straight out in front of you with your upper arms close to your ears.). Next, do a 50 yard swim.

    If somebody else out there has another idea, chime in!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  4. #344
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Solo Swimmers, here is my latest article dedicated to YOU!
    http://www.swimspire.com/injuries-and-obstacles/
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  5. #345
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States, Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    349

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Great article, ElaineK. Some very good suggestions that I can use coming out of another shoulder surgery. I'm doing PT at a facility with a pool and the therapist said I can probably start aqua therapy next week. On Monday I'll be seeing my surgeon. And as soon as he clears me to get into the pool and start some regular exercise, I'll be jumping in.

  6. #346
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    Great article, ElaineK. Some very good suggestions that I can use coming out of another shoulder surgery. I'm doing PT at a facility with a pool and the therapist said I can probably start aqua therapy next week. On Monday I'll be seeing my surgeon. And as soon as he clears me to get into the pool and start some regular exercise, I'll be jumping in.

    Thanks, Denise! I'm glad my article will come in handy as you make your way back to the pool. Good luck with your rehab!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  7. #347
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey, everybody! Who is going to join me (virtually or otherwise!) for the first 2018 USMS Fitness Challenge? For those of you who compete at meets (like I do), please don't blow this off just because it's a non-competitive fitness event. The money raised goes to a great cause: Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.

    I just signed up, and I plan on doing the event at my community pool, unless an event gets organized in Georgia that I can attend. If you don't have anybody to do the challenge with, be a part of our virtual "Solo Swimmers Team" here! After you complete your swim, post about your experience on this thread and let us know how it went for you. How did you do your swim (straight through, intervals, different strokes or just freestyle, etc.)? Were you happy with your swim? Did you do the swim with anybody else?

    Good luck and have fun!



    Has anybody completed the 30-Minute Fitness Challenge yet? How did it go for you?

    Two friends joined me today for the challenge, and my husband counted laps. Since my 1650 time has been +/- 30 minutes over the years, I had him time me for a 1650 "race" while the other two did a more leisurely swim.

    Considering my reduction in training yardage since my hip surgery three years ago, I was happy with my results. Although I had hoped to break 30 minutes, I swam the 1650 in 30:17. No, it doesn't even make the motivational charts; however, it is not a core event for me, and I don't train to race it. The last time I raced the 1650 was at Nationals, in 2016 when my time was 28:35.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  8. #348
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Wilkesboro, NC
    Posts
    4

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    I will be doing my swim on Monday. Just finished week 4 of the intermediate training which I loved. I just started back a few weeks ago after a few months off and I saw a good increase in my stamina. my yardage is up to 2200-2300 yards in an hour which only a few weeks ago seemed impossible. My time definitely wont be close to yours so although you don't think you were fast in my eyes you are a champion! I'll post my times after my Monday morning swim.

  9. #349
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ljm344 View Post
    I will be doing my swim on Monday. Just finished week 4 of the intermediate training which I loved. I just started back a few weeks ago after a few months off and I saw a good increase in my stamina. my yardage is up to 2200-2300 yards in an hour which only a few weeks ago seemed impossible. My time definitely wont be close to yours so although you don't think you were fast in my eyes you are a champion! I'll post my times after my Monday morning swim.

    Thanks!
    I guess it's all relative, right? My time would rank in the +/- 75% in my age group; however, 37% of adults can't even swim the length of a pool, and most adults couldn't swim a mile if they tried! I guess it's all how you look at it.

    Congratulations on your big improvement in the pool! That's great!

    Good luck with your swim on Monday!

    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  10. #350
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    tucson ,arizona
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

    Thanks!
    I guess it's all relative, right? My time would rank in the +/- 75% in my age group; however, 37% of adults can't even swim the length of a pool, and most adults couldn't swim a mile if they tried! I guess it's all how you look at it.

    Congratulations on your big improvement in the pool! That's great!

    Good luck with your swim on Monday!




    Well, I don't worry about my times as adult. There are many master swimmers that started to compete as adults and not kids that beat me. I' just surprise that I'm able to swim a 200 event near 61 years old.

  11. #351
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Wilkesboro, NC
    Posts
    4

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Elaine, I think we are in the same age group as in will be 58 in April. I have been swimming off and on for 3 or 4 years with no prior experience, am 80 pounds overweight, and really happy with my times. I will be up there in the top 25% one day as this is my goal.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone else actually enjoy solo workouts?
    By sftom in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 18th, 2018, 01:06 PM
  2. Converting lap swimmers to Masters swimmers?
    By au-girl98 in forum Coaches and Club Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 16th, 2016, 09:11 PM
  3. Do you train with others or solo?
    By SinkOrSwim123 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 11th, 2013, 05:18 PM
  4. going solo at nat's
    By born2fly in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
  5. Those who practice solo...
    By USMSarah in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: February 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •