Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 244

Thread: Solo Swimmers

  1. #21
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,721
    Blog Entries
    1991

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    ... and always counting strokes every length.
    Triple agree on this point. Counting strokes, particularly for freestyle, also serves as a barometer for when I need to back down; if my stroke count gets too high and consistently too high while producing the same (or slower) times, I know I'm at a point where I need to back off for a bit and rest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    ...Where solo swimming becomes tough for me is midway in my meet preparation cycle.
    Timing doesn't always work for me, but I like to do a quick 3-4 day 'drop-taper' meet in the middle of a training cycle when I can. In SCY, this usually means a meet in mid-February to early March.

    I'll second Elaine's point about swimming off events. Not only in-season, but even at Nationals, I find it can be an incredible morale boost to go a best time in an event I rarely swim. Even when I rationally know that the only reason I went the best time is because I finally swam the event tapered & shaved, my emotional mind still gets stoked. If there are events you don't swim that often, you can even get that 'high' at an in-season meet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    No. I have a spreadsheet of my own design.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I have a great Excel file that I've been using over the years; it's way easier to use and way more information-packed than the Flog.

  2. #22
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,275
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    I train with a great masters group, not that near where I live, but worth the commute. ..The coach is excellent and gives feedback to all the swimmers, not just the speedsters. But when I can't make it to the group workouts, I do solo ones. My favorite of the different pools near me is the one at the local high school. That one always has lap lanes up during its posted hours, and, although the pool is typically shared w open swimming, I have yet to see more than 2-3 people in the lap lanes. Often, I have a lane to myself and the pool is kept in good shape. My least favorite is the pool nearest to me. The water is too warm, lap swim hours are sparse (and the aquatic director has no problem pulling rank and taking over lap space with lifeguard and swim classes. Add to that swimmers such as those Sumorunner described, and it's a place I reserve for my short, easy swims. Another y a bit further away has better hours and a better pool (w a hot tub!), but it gets pretty crowded, so can be frustrating to do a workout. Still, I've been able to get in some nice quality swims. I think having a few options for swimming really helps. Also a sense of humor, and flexibility in one's workout plan. For instance, in crowded conditions, I'm less likely to use paddles or try IM sets. And I tend to do shorter repeats b/c that way I can more frequently monitor whether lanes open up.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    savannah,ga
    Posts
    83
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    nice idea for a thread elaine ! … i retired and moved to savannah 6-7 yrs ago and the county pool is just 8-9 minutes away and its wonderful facility. the masters team practiced at 5:30 am, i tried for 3 months but it was way to early … now i practice (alone) about 9 am … M thru Thur the “lap” pool is 16 lanes with an added 2 lane wide area between the 2-8 lane 25yd courses for the odd noodler … on F and Sat it 8 lanes LC … i’ve never had to share a lane SC and once or twice a year share a LC lane (last year i swan the 10 K postal and had my own lane for over 3 hrs) … all that is great but without a coach my free has gone down the tubes and since it bothered my shoulders starting this year i’m a back/flyer … with the county weight lifting center 2 minutes away its like i died and wound up in swimming nirvana ... to swim fly more race like i do my main fly sets after a short warm up and later during the workout i'll swim fly with short fins other than that its all back with 200-300 free at the end of the workout , just in case i'm swimming any free relays
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

  4. #24
    Very Active Member Sumorunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Latham, NY
    Posts
    230

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    One type of swimmer I didn't include in my earlier rant was the one (or 2 or 3) I call walrus girl. It's an uncharitable term, I know. And since I'm a heavyweight myself, I know why these women are there. I admire their tenacity and attempt to be active to lose weight. Some are probably 250lbs or more. I've been there. I know what it takes to lose it, so when I see a walrus girl in a lane, unless I recognize her, I will not try to share a lane and I'll let her have it to all herself. She deserves at least that.

  5. #25
    Very Active Member __steve__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    s c
    Posts
    2,379
    Blog Entries
    696

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Been to 4 coached swim practices in my life, 3 of them were in a different country during vacation last month. I swim OK at meets but often wonder if i am missing out on alot of stuff

  6. #26
    Very Active Member Swimosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    654

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

    Hey, Swimosaur!
    Will you be showing up to the SouthSide Pentathlon on September 10? Join me in the Ironman??
    Alas, no. Check your email!

  7. #27
    Very Active Member srcoyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    416

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    I do like this thread as well.

    In addition to the challenge of not being able to evaluate my stroke, I recognize two other challenges I face as a solo trainer:
    1. Mixing up work outs to keep it interesting
    2. Mixing up work outs to train better

    I swim most of the year for fitness and train for open water swims usually competing in late May to late September. My typical distance for competition is 5K so a few years ago, I'd mainly been training with longer aerobic sets and then noticed I wasn't really improving. I've since added a sprintish workout every other week and a threshold set or two each week and noticed improvement. I'll be checking back here for more ideas.

  8. #28
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    No. I have a spreadsheet of my own design. My log books precede availability of home computers and networks by a couple decades. I originally kept the sheets in binders. A few years ago, I used the Log-a-run website because a group I belonged to was doing it as a motivator. I was sort-of the king of the pushups list, doing upwards of 4000 per month. The year I turned 65 I managed to do 500 pushups, run a half-marathon and swim 1 mile. Not all at once mind you. The group was cardiac athletes, all of whom have had a heart procedure at some point. I have an artificial aortic valve.

    Attachment 10690
    That's A LOT of pushups, Sumo! Hey, whatever works for you for logging your workouts; keep on doin' it! I'm the same way with keeping a budget. All through college and until home computers, I kept it on notebook paper with columns drawn in. I finally progressed to using an Excel spreadsheet- whoa, high-tech! That's as far as I got, and I still just use Excel rather than a fancier program!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  9. #29
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I'll second Elaine's point about swimming off events. Not only in-season, but even at Nationals...

    Yes to both!

    I find that training all four strokes on a daily basis prevents repetitive stress injuries, so when a hip or shoulder starts bothering me with one stroke, I change things up by switching to another. Fly has become my go-to stroke when my hips have had enough of the other three strokes. My hips love the kick motion of fly, so 200 fly has become that "off" event for me. (My shoulders do NOT like sprint fly!). I am way slower than my competition at Nationals, but I have stopped worrying about being a human meet delay (with apologies to the rest of you)!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  10. #30
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by jackback View Post
    nice idea for a thread elaine ! … i retired and moved to savannah 6-7 yrs ago

    Thanks, Jack! You moved to Savannah 6-7 years ago, and you still haven't switched to Georgia Masters (GAJA)?
    Consider this a formal invitation to join our team; we would love to have you! Have you met Donna Hooe yet? She is one of the coaches with the Savannah Masters team and our Coaches Chair for Georgia Masters. Check us out at http://www.georgiamasters.org

    Quote Originally Posted by srcoyote View Post
    I do like this thread as well.

    In addition to the challenge of not being able to evaluate my stroke, I recognize two other challenges I face as a solo trainer:
    1. Mixing up work outs to keep it interesting
    2. Mixing up work outs to train better

    I swim most of the year for fitness and train for open water swims usually competing in late May to late September. My typical distance for competition is 5K so a few years ago, I'd mainly been training with longer aerobic sets and then noticed I wasn't really improving. I've since added a sprintish workout every other week and a threshold set or two each week and noticed improvement. I'll be checking back here for more ideas.
    Thanks, Coyote! Welcome to you all of you other solo swimmers to the thread! Thanks for your input, everybody!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  11. #31
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Posts
    19

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Elaine, I train by myself most of the time, because I don't like the Masters workouts. While I wholeheartedly agree with counting strokes on every lap, I do some things a little opposite what people here might suggest. Primarily, I don't vary my workouts that much. I have a limited number of sets that I go through regularly. While doing this, I keep track of my times, check my heart rate often and generally note how I feel. These things keep my mind active during the workout and also give me constant updates on my progress. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it seems to be working for me.

  12. #32
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    savannah,ga
    Posts
    83
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    hey elaine... i do know donna and a few others that swim with GAJA and have directed a few folks in there direction but i still swim with my team out of Niagara LSMC the BUMS ... but thanks for the offer
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

  13. #33
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    21

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Hi Elaine!
    I swim on a masters team, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to swim with them all of the time. I would estimate that I swim solo 50% of the time. I swim 4 times per week total. For me, this is a great way to swim because I have unique challenges based on whether I'm on my own or swimming with my team.
    Swimming with the team forces me to stay with intervals set for me, not by me, & pushes me through nasty sets that I probably wouldn't make myself go thru on my own. There is the incentive to keep up with (or lead) my lane mates & swim faster just because I'm so competitive. I really push myself when I'm swimming with a group.
    When solo, I drop it down a notch, paying more attention to technique, and doing a lot of kicking, pulling & drills. I make sure I get plenty of rest unless I'm doing an interval set of some sort. I also tailor my workouts towards upcoming events. For instance, I have a sprint pentathlon coming up, so I'm doing lots of stroke-work, drilling, & of course 50s. I wouldn't be able to do this sort of workout with my group & that would be very frustrating for me....
    Yes I agree to swim on your own requires an easily-accessible pool where you can swim like a swimmer & not have to navigate thru noodlers & lap swimmers. I finally found a pool that works well for me in this regard; at most I'm splitting the lane with one other person.

  14. #34
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,721
    Blog Entries
    1991

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    ...and I still just use Excel rather than a fancier program!
    Truly, there was never a better, more adaptable, more useful software program than Excel. I put it right up there with the wheel in terms of usefulness to mankind.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonCummins View Post
    Primarily, I don't vary my workouts that much. I have a limited number of sets that I go through regularly. While doing this, I keep track of my times, check my heart rate often and generally note how I feel. These things keep my mind active during the workout and also give me constant updates on my progress. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it seems to be working for me.
    I do a hybrid of this. I have a series of test sets and/or favorite workouts that I rotate through, usually doing at least one each week. These allow me to get all those benefits you state, but then I mix in more creative workouts each week to keep the variety (both mentally and physically).

  15. #35

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Another solo swimmer checking in.

    Coached masters workouts just never jived with me. Most of the time the written sets simply didn't align with my goals, and appeared to be catered to people looking to just "exercise" as opposed to those wanting to train for a specific goal. And I understand this. You can't really tailor workouts to suit the individual needs of everyone on the team, especially if you have lots of members with disparate goals. So I do my own thing now.

    One thing I do miss though is the feedback I got from the deck.

  16. #36
    Very Active Member Allen Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mulino,OR
    Posts
    4,378

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    I was asked about my 15 wk cycles. The number is arbitrary, one year there was 15 wk between Summers Nats and my SCM taper meet,I had a good SCM meet,so I thought 15 wk was a good length.I can cut it down to 12 wk when necessary, I already have trouble pushing the intensity to 15 wk,so I don't go beyond that.
    All parts of this are arbitrary and change based on how I feel,but it is based on my philosophy of what is important to swim competitively. First,the most important thing is consistency,that is more than just showing up to swim,it means listening to your body, if something is injured,rest it if I feel a little sick,cut back the intensity so I don't get a lot sick.
    Second, working on technique will give conditioning,vice versa is not necessarily true.
    Third, the best way to swim race pace at meets is to swim lots of race pace in practice.
    So the first 2-3 week of the cycle I do mostly drills and relatively slow swims working on getting my stroke in a groove.Then I start adding in race pace sets. When I was doing mostly HIT I was adding them in relatively slowly(100 yd one week then 200 yd the next etc.) but since I am doing more USRPT I find I can add a whole set in since the sets are self limiting.
    By week 6-7 it is all race pace,as long as I am feeling good.I swim 4 days/wk and try to lift 2 days/wk. I generally lift on swim days after swimming. At 67 I need recovery days(at 30 I needed recovery days too though.)
    I do a 3 wk taper of swimming about the same amount but making every other swim a recovery swim(cutting the number of race pace swims in half) for 2 wk and the last week I warm up do 100-200 pace work and cool down.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

  17. #37
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Quote Originally Posted by RonCummins View Post
    Elaine, I train by myself most of the time, because I don't like the Masters workouts. While I wholeheartedly agree with counting strokes on every lap, I do some things a little opposite what people here might suggest. Primarily, I don't vary my workouts that much. I have a limited number of sets that I go through regularly. While doing this, I keep track of my times, check my heart rate often and generally note how I feel. These things keep my mind active during the workout and also give me constant updates on my progress. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it seems to be working for me.
    Thanks for the tips, Ron! I also check my heart rate regularly and feel it's great feedback in determining if I am over-training or not. If my heart rate becomes elevated beyond the norm, I ease up the next day-- especially if I feel wiped out after my swim. I, too, have some workouts I repeat regularly; however, I often have to revise on the fly (no pun intended!) if a body part starts acting up.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackback View Post
    hey elaine... i do know donna and a few others that swim with GAJA and have directed a few folks in there direction but i still swim with my team out of Niagara LSMC the BUMS ... but thanks for the offer
    Ohhh, ok. I'll let you off the hook. Say hello to Donna for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by imbacktoit View Post
    Hi Elaine!
    I swim on a masters team, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to swim with them all of the time. I would estimate that I swim solo 50% of the time. I swim 4 times per week total. For me, this is a great way to swim because I have unique challenges based on whether I'm on my own or swimming with my team.
    Swimming with the team forces me to stay with intervals set for me, not by me, & pushes me through nasty sets that I probably wouldn't make myself go thru on my own. There is the incentive to keep up with (or lead) my lane mates & swim faster just because I'm so competitive. I really push myself when I'm swimming with a group.
    When solo, I drop it down a notch, paying more attention to technique, and doing a lot of kicking, pulling & drills. I make sure I get plenty of rest unless I'm doing an interval set of some sort. I also tailor my workouts towards upcoming events. For instance, I have a sprint pentathlon coming up, so I'm doing lots of stroke-work, drilling, & of course 50s. I wouldn't be able to do this sort of workout with my group & that would be very frustrating for me....
    Yes I agree to swim on your own requires an easily-accessible pool where you can swim like a swimmer & not have to navigate thru noodlers & lap swimmers. I finally found a pool that works well for me in this regard; at most I'm splitting the lane with one other person.
    You have a sprint pentathlon coming up? It wouldn't just happen to be the one at the Steve Lundquist Aquatic Center in Georgia would it? If so, I'll see you there; I'm doing the Ironman!

    Meanwhile, you bring up some great points about the differences between swimming with a team or alone. It's great that you have both options and can mix it up!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  18. #38
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    tucson ,arizona
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    I return to swimming about 3 months ago. I started swimming again in my apartment pool. About 6 weeks ago started to go to the recreation pool for lap swimming. I swim from 200 to 2,000 yards. All four strokes including butterfly.

  19. #39
    Very Active Member m2tall2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    302

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    My most important tip as a solo swimmer is to make friends with the regulars at the pool. The person sculling and stopping every 25 yards lane 6 might turn out to be your best cheerleader. They might not know what you're supposed to be doing or what something is supposed to look like but the fact that they might be paying attention will encourage you to be your best. When they say, "you looked so fast today", you want to be able to be proud of it and say, "thanks". You'll feel lousy about the compliment if you were just messing around. They'll look for you to be there and want to know what happened if you aren't. A team mate doesn't have to be on a team with you or doing remotely the same kind of work out to be able to support each other.
    Another tip is to use a watch and track your times, at least on important main sets. Being able to see if you're dropping your average by a few tenths in the long term and to know what your target times should be is a big part of ensuring you're working hard enough.

  20. #40
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: Solo Swimmers

    Great tips, 'Tall2! You brought up some really good points. Making friends at the pool makes g to the pool so much more enjoyable! It always makes me feel good to return on a Monday after a meet and have my pool buddies ask how I did. We encourage each other, and it makes us both feel better. In one case, there is a woman with MS who uses a Fitbit to keep track of her steps in the pool. When she reaches 3000 (her goal each session), she always lets me know. She appreciates the "Congratulations!" from me, and I get a kick out of her enthusiasm when she asks me about my meets.

    As for using a watch, I'm addicted to mine. One time when the battery died, I felt devastated! Replacing the battery became the first thing on my "To Do" list when I left the pool! I use mine for keeping track of ALL intervals as well as monitoring my heart rate, and I have become somewhat obsessed. (I also check my resting heart rate in the evenings to see how I am recuperating from the morning workout. Today, I ran through my ironman pentathlon races in our 84 degree pool, so my resting heart rate is elevated to 58 from the normal 49 or 50. This indicates to me I should make tomorrow a recovery and drill day.)

    Thanks for the great post, 'Tall2!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Converting lap swimmers to Masters swimmers?
    By au-girl98 in forum Coaches and Club Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 16th, 2016, 08:11 PM
  2. Do you train with others or solo?
    By SinkOrSwim123 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM
  3. going solo at nat's
    By born2fly in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
  4. Anyone else actually enjoy solo workouts?
    By sftom in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: February 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
  5. Those who practice solo...
    By USMSarah in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: February 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •