Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Swimmers

Blog Entries

Re: Solo Swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Heather View Post
    He immediately pointed out a flaw in the recovery that was the reason for my pain,
    Micheal, do you recall the flaw?

Very Active Member

Thanks, Allen. That's great advice.

Elaine, Del Webb is one of the builders who understands how swimming is great for the over 55 crowd and doesn't skim on their pools. The builder here said there aren't enough houses (800) to support a full sized pool, which is bull hockey. The pool hadn't been finished when I came to see the community. I couldn't get a straight answer on the size. They kept calling it a lap/fitness pool. Which is code for short.

Participating Member

Don't get discouraged. I had a shoulder replacement 2 1/2 years ago. Just know your limits & don't cross them. I am able to swim but only freestyle. I formerly swam back & fly & physically cannot any more

Blog Entries

Reading some of the comments here makes me incredibly grateful for the 8-lane pool at my Y. They can have three lanes for water aerobics, three lanes for the swim team practice, and still have a couple of lanes left over for lap swimmers. In addition, there is a small pool, so people who are doing water exercises or getting in with their babies won't be taking up space in the lap lanes. Plus, the lifeguards and team coaches are generally good about moving people around if the big pool gets crowded and a newcomer can't get a space in a lane for a workout. The building hours are good and the times for lap swimming are generally reasonable--there is usually at least one lane open, if not more, and as soon as team practice/ aerobics class ends, the lifeguards open those lanes as well.

What I don't understand is why the aerobics class always needs three lanes. I get this when there are 20 people, but do 5-6 people need three entire lanes to themselves? On the bonus side, the class is scheduled to run until 8:45, but generally everyone gets out by 8:30, so those lanes open up.

The locker rooms were renovated last year and now have suit spinners. Now, if they could only get rid of the persistent funky smell, all would be good.

Seriously, this is the best facility I've had the pleasure of using since I was in grad school at Syracuse and had the use of two 25-meter pools (that were always kept nice and COLD). My Y pool is on the cool side, but I'd really prefer it 5-7 degrees colder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy H. View Post
    What I don't understand is why the aerobics class always needs three lanes. I get this when there are 20 people, but do 5-6 people need three entire lanes to themselves? On the bonus side, the class is scheduled to run until 8:45, but generally everyone gets out by 8:30, so those lanes open up.
    Because they need to be able to touch bottom, which eliminates half the length of a lane, therefore the width of 3 lanes gives them room to move several yards in all directions. In the town fitness center we have only 4 lanes and they use 3 of them, so the lap pool is unavailable from 8-10:30 AM. At my YMCA there are 8 lanes as in yours, so water aerobics never shuts us out completely.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. I've got one I bet you haven't heard before. Today, the shallow poll was closed for some reason, so the water aerobics class took over 2 lanes of the lap pool, 25-30 old ladies and by old I mean at least my age. My wife was among them. I was in the lane next to the aerobics people. I kept noticing an odd, non-pool sort of smell at one end and eventually realized, the whole friggin' pool smelled like PERFUME! I swear I could even taste it.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. I've got one I bet you haven't heard before. Today, the shallow poll was closed for some reason, so the water aerobics class took over 2 lanes of the lap pool, 25-30 old ladies and by old I mean at least my age. My wife was among them. I was in the lane next to the aerobics people. I kept noticing an odd, non-pool sort of smell at one end and eventually realized, the whole friggin' pool smelled like PERFUME! I swear I could even taste it.
    Ohhh, that's the worst! It burns my lungs if I inhale perfume or men's cologne while doing sprint sets, and I have experienced both several times. Men have been just as guilty as women! I've been known to stop mid-lane and choke, because of an allergic reaction to it. When that happens, I make sure to say in a somewhat loud voice to my other perfume-hating buddies, "I wonder who is wearing perfume (or cologne) in the pool. It's choking me! I wish they would wait to put it on after they get out of the pool!"
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Ohhh, that's the worst! It burns my lungs if I inhale perfume or men's cologne while doing sprint sets, and I have experienced both several times. Men have been just as guilty as women! I've been known to stop mid-lane and choke, because of an allergic reaction to it. When that happens, I make sure to say in a somewhat loud voice to my other perfume-hating buddies, "I wonder who is wearing perfume (or cologne) in the pool. It's choking me! I wish they would wait to put it on after they get out of the pool!"
    Aqua Dog says people should not used perfume in the pool since Aqua Dog is the fastest swimmer around.

Quote Originally Posted by cinc3100 View Post
    Aqua Dog says people should not used perfume in the pool since Aqua Dog is the fastest swimmer around.
    Uhhh, no, far from it! Aqua Dog says people should not use perfume in the pool, because it is a killer for those with allergies, and it's bad for the pool water!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Plus it just stinks!

I do remember swimming at an LA Fitness years ago and having the pungent smell of garlic seeping out of a man's pores floating at the surface of the water. He wasn't in the water yet, so it was really strong. Gag!
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

True newbie here.

If you didn't learn to swim as a child, you were older (masters' age + ) what do you do? I watch some videos on Youtube and that's helped. I have looked at a few books. I'm doing some strength training but I have leg problems so just doing the best I can on that.

What are tips for people who have done some meets but still don't know everything? Its really hard when you're the only one there.

Thanks.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Uhhh, no, far from it! Aqua Dog says people should not use perfume in the pool, because it is a killer for those with allergies, and it's bad for the pool water!
    What happened to people taking a shower Before they get in the pool? I notice more and more people, especially the water aerobics folks, don't bother to even rinse off. Yuck.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nichollsvi View Post
    True newbie here.

If you didn't learn to swim as a child, you were older (masters' age + ) what do you do? I watch some videos on Youtube and that's helped. I have looked at a few books. I'm doing some strength training but I have leg problems so just doing the best I can on that.

What are tips for people who have done some meets but still don't know everything? Its really hard when you're the only one there.

Thanks.
    The Videos are good, not certain how well your strokes are. I see many adults doing fin swims for the strokes and their is a special type of fins for breaststroke. You might try that.

Very Active Member

The Videos are good, not certain how well your strokes are. I see many adults doing fin swims for the strokes and their is a special type of fins for breaststroke. You might try that.
    http://100swimmingworkouts.com/I would try both the beginning and intermidate, you know the strokes so in the beginning changed from free to fly or back or breast sometimes. Most lap swimmers take 15 to 25 seconds to do a 25 yard freestyle, if there is no pace clock this can help you. Seeing other swimmers swim about 20 yards, means that is closed to a 10 second or 15 second interval.

Very Active Member

http://100swimmingworkouts.com/I would try both the beginning and intermidate, you know the strokes so in the beginning changed from free to fly or back or breast sometimes. Most lap swimmers take 15 to 25 seconds to do a 25 yard freestyle, if there is no pace clock this can help you. Seeing other swimmers swim about 20 yards, means that is closed to a 10 second or 15 second interval.
    http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html/Another workout source, the less yardage workouts are 2,000 to 2,500 yards. This is the one I use. I only do two drills, breaststroke pull and fly kick and one arm fly on both sides. If you want to know drills for freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly., you tube has examples.

ther.
    Thanks. I've got a pair of the breaststroke fins. I gave them up when I found I couldn't do it with the fins on ei

Very Active Member

Yesterday I was doing laps at the LA Fitness pool. Shower Cap and Clueless, got into my lane. Clueless started doggy paddling up the middle. It was the easy access lane, which I used to save my shoulder, and I knew they probably needed the steps. I said to Clueless, what are you doing? I'm trying to get some exercise. Clueless apologized and I offered to share the lane, but she ducked under the ropes to the middle. Shower Cap couldn't, so she stood up against the ropes chatting with Clueless while I stuck to one side of the lane. Shower Cap had on so much perfume, that stuff that's sickly sweet, and it gave me a headache. I said something to the lifeguard about perfume users not taking a shower, and he just shrugged. I swear they have the worst lifeguards at LA Fitness. He's always on his cell phone, anyway. You could bonk your head and knock yourself out and he wouldn't notice. I said something to a guy at the front office about maybe posting rules that include taking a shower before using the pool. We'll see if they do anything about it.

Is it possible to get photos and put the problems in writing to management? Even their lawyers? That would not fly well anywhere I go.

Here is the article I wrote for all of you Solo Swimmers:
    http://www.swimspire.com/six-suggestions-solo-swimmer/

Well hi everyone, I have Elaine to thank for leading me here! I got a swim email, and happened to click on a link which as a solo swimmer I thought might help! Would love to take part in some competitive swims but no chance being where I am (Saudi Arabia) so I swim mainly on my own...which I don't mind, it's been nearly 10 years since I last swam and trained at my local triathlon club in the UK, I hardly ever see anyone else in the pools here...we have 4 outdoor pools, one 25 metre that the swim team. 4 times a week , which isn't nice to use after them as it's very murky! So I stick to the one near our villa which is 22 metres. There is only me in the pool normally, unless my husband joins me and complains if I ask him to do a few more laps!! Motivation is my big think, even though I'm a swim teacher and fitness instructor, this place is fantastic and so awful all at the same time as we have pools, gyms and a field/ sand track here and all free....but so easy to get in the mindset of "I'll do it tomorrow" , plus I had a totally hysterectomy in May, so getting back to fitness is always a challenge ! Plus the fact that I no longer want to be here, as we will be leaving to live in France in couple of years when our own fitness facility is up and running. As a fitness instructor I know the negative thoughts need to change to positive, otherwise it's just going to get harder'!
    i have also been asked to help coach the under 7's in the swim team ....even though I'm not a coach I'm a teacher so I'm struggling with should I or shouldn't I ! It would be good experience !
    Anyway bit of a long winded HI....just want to get back to my regular solo swimming, I started back last week....slowly...only doing 600m as my husband wanted to come too...and he isn't a great swimmer so didn't want to push him to do what I would normally do, and we keep it to drills so he doesn't give up! Now I've had 4 days off and struggling to motivate myself to carry on!!!!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast