Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Swimmers

Re: Solo Swimmers

So glad for everyone here and thankful for Elaine being a cheerleader and willing to share.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maria FittandSmart View Post
    Well hi everyone, I have Elaine to thank for leading me here! I got a swim email, and happened to click on a link which as a solo swimmer I thought might help! Would love to take part in some competitive swims but no chance being where I am (Saudi Arabia) so I swim mainly on my own...which I don't mind, it's been nearly 10 years since I last swam and trained at my local triathlon club in the UK, I hardly ever see anyone else in the pools here...we have 4 outdoor pools, one 25 metre that the swim team. 4 times a week , which isn't nice to use after them as it's very murky! So I stick to the one near our villa which is 22 metres. There is only me in the pool normally, unless my husband joins me and complains if I ask him to do a few more laps!! Motivation is my big think, even though I'm a swim teacher and fitness instructor, this place is fantastic and so awful all at the same time as we have pools, gyms and a field/ sand track here and all free....but so easy to get in the mindset of "I'll do it tomorrow" , plus I had a totally hysterectomy in May, so getting back to fitness is always a challenge ! Plus the fact that I no longer want to be here, as we will be leaving to live in France in couple of years when our own fitness facility is up and running. As a fitness instructor I know the negative thoughts need to change to positive, otherwise it's just going to get harder'!
    i have also been asked to help coach the under 7's in the swim team ....even though I'm not a coach I'm a teacher so I'm struggling with should I or shouldn't I ! It would be good experience !
    Anyway bit of a long winded HI....just want to get back to my regular solo swimming, I started back last week....slowly...only doing 600m as my husband wanted to come too...and he isn't a great swimmer so didn't want to push him to do what I would normally do, and we keep it to drills so he doesn't give up! Now I've had 4 days off and struggling to motivate myself to carry on!!!!
    Welcome, Maria! I'm so glad you joined us! Other than your keyboard being apostrophe-challenged , it was great reading your post and knowing you came to the right place.

We all have had our issues with motivation at one time or another, and being a solo swimmer can make it even more difficult if there isn't anyone around to encourage you. My solution? Set goals! Since you are lucky to have a husband who swims, too, perhaps the two of you can sit down together and help each other set some goals. They can be distance/time goals (being able to swim a certain distance without stopping or swimming it in a set amount of time), mileage goals (join the Go the Distance program right here on USMS.org and keep track of your workouts, technique goals (mastering a particular stroke); or, whatever type of goal would keep you motivated to get you into the pool. If you have goals in place, you can encourage each other to achieve them.

Good luck with your swimming! I hope you go ahead and help out with coaching, too. I'm sure it will prove to be a win-win if you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Nichollsvi View Post
    So glad for everyone here and thankful for Elaine being a cheerleader and willing to share.
    Nice of you to say-- thanks!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Welcome, Maria! I'm so glad you joined us! Other than your keyboard being apostrophe-challenged , it was great reading your post and knowing you came to the right place.

As a retired software engineer, I can explain. The ASCII system (American Std Code for Info Interchange) has a numerical value for each character. i.e. A=65, B=66, a=97, b=98, etc. The apostrophe is #39. When text originates in countries with different character sets, the apostrophe may not be represented, so the app substitutes the numerical sequence instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    As a retired software engineer, I can explain. The ASCII system (American Std Code for Info Interchange) has a numerical value for each character. i.e. A=65, B=66, a=97, b=98, etc. The apostrophe is #39. When text originates in countries with different character sets, the apostrophe may not be represented, so the app substitutes the numerical sequence instead.
    Thanks, Sumo, I didn't now that! I appreciate the explanation.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

So a car hit me in August and sprained my right hand: 2 weeks out of the water, plus another 2 because the pool was closed for cleaning.

Back in the water two weeks, just beginning to build up yardage, feeling really good, then slammed my right foot into a doorframe, breaking one of my small toes.

Luckily I've been able to swim with the toes taped, but have to be careful kicking and VERY careful when pushing off walls. So it's a bit slow going, but I'm still in the water. Yesterday I did a 3400--building back up to my usual 3600 for my Sunday swim, which I haven't done since before I went on vacation in July. Still, I swear the universe hates me.

I'm sorry Nancy. That really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy H. View Post
    Still, I swear the universe hates me.
    Think positive thoughts, and be optimistic that things will get better! Good luck!

I'm still solo 99% of the time, but this month I signed up for a few coaching clinics. Yesterday I got some pointers, some drills, and got videotaped. It's the first time ever I saw myself in action in the pool and boy was it bad. Not awful, terrible, bad because the coach said I had improved quite a bit from last year, but it showed me I need a lot of work in a certain areas. I still can't kick in free style. After 40 years of running, my ankles are so stiff they will not bend beyond 45 degrees. That means as each foot moves down it is actually exerting a reverse thrust. I can get a kick board and motor for all I'm worth and stay dead still in the water. On the plus side, this same ankle angle makes me a rather decent back-stroker. Much, much work to do. Guess I'll have to spend more time in the pool.

Awesome! Do you think the coaching clinics are good? I wouldn't mind attending one but there's none in my area and I have no clue as to what they involve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichollsvi View Post
    Awesome! Do you think the coaching clinics are good? I wouldn't mind attending one but there's none in my area and I have no clue as to what they involve.
    This one isn't strictly a swim coach. She's a Triathlon coach, so there is no expectation that everyone is an experienced competitive swimmer. There was a wide spread of abilities and ages. So she starts with, let me see you swim 200y to warm up, to see what she's working with. Then starts with a number of drills, explaining what part of proper technique it develops and why, then tells each person in turn what they need to do to better their stroke for that drill. It was a 2 hour session so there was quite a few drills, plus she took videos and emailed them later with commentary.

Blog Entries

Think positive thoughts, and be optimistic that things will get better! Good luck!
    Thank you! I'm trying. But not being able to swim just kills me.

Blog Entries

Hello,

newbie solo swimmer here. It does get lonely swimming alone. I'm never alone in the pool, and have always wanted to approach and meet people and perhaps one day "swim together". At the same time, the last thing you want is to be that person that tries to talk to you when all you want is to go swim. So I bought a waterproof mp3 player and swim alone. I'm so tempted to ask the lifeguard to critic my form...

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssumargo View Post
    Hello,

newbie solo swimmer here. It does get lonely swimming alone. I'm never alone in the pool, and have always wanted to approach and meet people and perhaps one day "swim together". At the same time, the last thing you want is to be that person that tries to talk to you when all you want is to go swim. So I bought a waterproof mp3 player and swim alone. I'm so tempted to ask the lifeguard to critic my form...
    If I were you I'd just join a master's swim team. Technically, lifeguards are not supposed to have conversations with patrons
    HTFU!

Hello,

newbie solo swimmer here. ... I'm so tempted to ask the lifeguard to critic my form...
    Requirements for lifeguard are entirely different than swim coach. Do not assume the LG knows anything about form. I worked as a lifeguard as a teenager and had never participated on a swim team. My high school didn't even have a pool.

I'm so tempted to ask the lifeguard to critic my form...
    Better idea: Have somebody shoot video of your stroke, upload it to YouTube, and post it on the Forums in a new thread. If you ask for feedback, you will receive great critiques from your fellow Forumites. Many of them are FINA World Record holders, USMS American Record holders, or Top Ten swimmers with great advice!

P.S. I'm not one of those (top swimmers)!

Very Active Member

Better idea: Have somebody shoot video of your stroke, upload it to YouTube, and post it on the Forums in a new thread. If you ask for feedback, you will receive great critiques from your fellow Forumites. Many of them are FINA World Record holders, USMS American Record holders, or Top Ten swimmers with great advice!

P.S. I'm not one of those (top swimmers)!
    Don't worry I'm not top ten either. The biggest honor I ever had was I was a relay member of a 400 yard Im that was All American in the US in 1977 but only Florida and California and a handful of other states have community college swimming. I did the butterfly and if I could do that time now I would be number 1 or 2 in the 55 to 59 age group but I'm a lot slower by several seconds.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by cinc3100 View Post
    Don't worry I'm not top ten either. The biggest honor I ever had was I was a relay member of a 400 yard Im that was All American in the US in 1977 but only Florida and California and a handful of other states have community college swimming. I did the butterfly and if I could do that time now I would be number 1 or 2 in the 55 to 59 age group but I'm a lot slower by several seconds.
    I mean a relay All American for community college which is a lot slower than four year schools.

Very Active Member

Just wondering where folks swim, how far do you travel for a good pool?

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    Lots of options. Depends on where I am that day. Usually the town fitness center, about 5 miles from home. Also a choice of 3 YMCAs, 1) 10 miles north near my daughter's house, 2) 10 miles east, 3) 15 miles south near my son and my sister. And the open water swims in summer with the triathlon club, at a lake about 20 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    In Cincinnati, our Y pools, for the most part, are excellent and metro memberships affordable so I have about four pools at which I typically split time. One can mean a 20 minute drive each way, but its a great pool. My schedule can be somewhat unpredictable so I just keep my bag handy and if a spare hour+ opens, I run for the nearest pool. I also make attempts to map out my week's openings on Sundays so I can be sure to get the 4-5 workouts in I want.

I note that you're in Alexandria. When I've traveled to that area, I've had success finding excellent (if often crowded) pools in DC, Arlington, and Alexandria.

Unrelated, this thread popped in my head as I swam Saturday morning. In the same pool, a masters team was training. The coach has occasionally tried to get me to join them. One of the reasons I haven't is that I can't regularly make their workouts. But the other is that I prefer to swim solo. I can tailor the workout to my day and needs. I train for open water swims and like to get in 3500 to 5000 yards in a work out. The masters team typically does about 2200 and is training for meets.

Also, I can flex based on how my week is going. A coach has to plan workouts ahead and to fit 20+ swimmers of varying abilities. If I have a day, where I just don't have it, I can substitute a nice smooth aerobic workout on the deck. Or if I'm feeling up to it, I check the workout boards here and grab a more challenging set right before I head to the pool.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast