Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runny nose after swimming

Participating Member

Runny nose after swimming

Every time after a swim workout I get a runny nose, which seems to result from my nose and maybe my sinuses becoming dry. I've tried several things - using a nose clip while swimming, using a neti pot afterwards, and using an allergy relief spray with natural ingredients, but to no avail. For much of the rest of the day I'll be sniffling, having to blow my nose and it will be dripping. Some days are worse than others, but it can also interfere a little with my sleep. I really want to get into a regular routine of swim workouts, but this is getting in my way of being productive after I'm done swimming that day. Other than this, I have no problems breathing or anything like that. Any advice on how to treat or prevent this? Would taking a hot shower after I get home do the trick?

Very Active Member

Re: Runny nose after swimming

My nose runs all day after a swim practice. I just always assumed it was the pool draining out of my sinuses that had gotten in while I swam. I shower when I get out of the pool, so I don't know if that helps or not, but it doesn't affect my sleep.

Blog Entries

Yep, it's a fact of life here too. My cube neighbors hear me sniffing pretty regularly, but keep a box of Kleenex at the desk.
    - Kari
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Blog Entries

^ I suffer in a similar fashion, though I just carry multiple hankies.

The pool I swim at switched to ozone a couple years ago, which improved matters greatly. I've tried nose clips before, but the darn things never stay on my nose. Many's the time I've pushed off the wall after a flip turn only to find it making a beeline for the bottom. Maybe I'm just attaching them incorrectly, my nose is the wrong shape, or I haven't found the perfect clip for my schnoz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Remember, you're lapping everybody who's sitting at home on the couch.

Blog Entries

My theory is that this is caused by the sinuses becoming irritated (burned) by the pool water and chemicals. I use a saline spray after swimming (Ocean brand) and before bed and it seems to help reduce (but not completely eliminate) the length of time and the extent of sinus irritation from swimming. I think some pool water quality is easier to tolerate than is others.

I usually have trapped water draining out of my sinuses and nose for a few hours after an ocean swim. Not sure why that doesn't happen in the pool, but trapped water doesn't seem to be an issue after swimming in a pool.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Participating Member

Mine starts running about halfway through my workout and keeps going until about an hour after I'm done. It's gross and bothersome.

I was thinking about this yesterday after my swim, and concluded that (in my case anyway) it is NOT an allergic reaction. Because...it usually happens not only after I've been swimming in the chlorinated pool...but also, like yesterday, after I've done an open-water swim (salt or fresh water). In most cases, like yesterday, hours later my nose will just begin to run. Not run with a thicker snotty mucus, but almost straight water coming out...actually dripping out of my nose. Given that every person's sinuses are probably formed a little differently, I think that my sinuses must have some pockets or crevices where the water gets trapped, maybe by suction, and then slowly drains out over a matter of hours. Think of a full bottle being turned upside-down without a vent hole. The fluid will drain out, but much slower. Blowing my nose helps a little, but only to get it out of my nose once it's drained out of whatever little crevice it came out of. Sometimes just turning my head a certain way will cause the water to drain. It'll drain for a few minutes. Then it's done.

Dan

About twenty years ago my nose was running after swimming, and the next day I would be sneezing. A girl who swam with us, a masters world butterfly champion and record holder, always wore a nose clip. I asked her why? She replied, "If I don't, then my nose would be running, and the next day I would be sneezing non-stop."

I went out and bought a nose-clip and the result was instant. I've always worn a nose clip since that day and have never suffered since. I have never swum even 25 metres since that day without wearing a nose clip. Even in competition.

Very Active Member

Get some nose clips.

Very Active Member

I don't think chlorine or bromine have a protein, therefore it can't be an allergic reaction. I might be wrong.If you can smell the chlorine then you are smelling chorinate(sp). Then there is not enough chlorine in the pool. There aer protein s attached to the water.
    But still get a nose clip.

Stuff irritating the membranes and tissues; can happen in pool (generally chlorine/chemical related) or open water.
    A simple fix is to throw some warm salt water up each nostril after swimming.

And I've been thinking that I am the only one having this. that's the reason why I am so often online and I search for combivent coupon so I always have to get it at least a bit less expensive... anyway, thanks all for sharing.
    Last edited by Quilkind; February 3rd, 2017 at 12:11 AM.

Participating Member

I may have to work on taking breathes in swimming. I had similar issue before. After I got a better method of breathing, all goes fine now.

Blog Entries

I have been getting this relentlessly when using my snorkel. Still haven't quite mastered the breathe-out when flip-turning aspect of it apparently. Usually passes within 6-8 hours, but at this time of year it's a dice roll on whether it is the beginnings of a cold or not.

Quote Originally Posted by opeleroy View Post
    I have been getting this relentlessly when using my snorkel. Still haven't quite mastered the breathe-out when flip-turning aspect of it apparently.
    You're using a snorkel without a nose clip??? Seems like everytime you inhale you'd get a flood into the nostrils.

Dan

Blog Entries

I don't wanna brag or anything... But I'm a pretty accomplished mouth-breather. Never had an issue getting water in my nose while swimming or kicking with the snorkel. Just those dang flip turns. Gotta remember to exhale a little bit while flipping over.

Never really considered using a nose plug... Is that super common? I can't remember seeing any of the local club swimmers using them with their snorkels, but then again, they are pretty easy to miss if you aren't looking for them.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by slavavov View Post
    Every time after a swim workout I get a runny nose, which seems to result from my nose and maybe my sinuses becoming dry. I've tried several things - using a nose clip while swimming, using a neti pot afterwards, and using an allergy relief spray with natural ingredients, but to no avail. For much of the rest of the day I'll be sniffling, having to blow my nose and it will be dripping. Some days are worse than others, but it can also interfere a little with my sleep. I really want to get into a regular routine of swim workouts, but this is getting in my way of being productive after I'm done swimming that day. Other than this, I have no problems breathing or anything like that. Any advice on how to treat or prevent this? Would taking a hot shower after I get home do the trick?

I was spending close to 2 hours in the pool daily without any issues, and then about a year ago I developed the same symptoms. (I think the aquatic facility where I swim changed chemicals.)

I tried a nose clip, but couldn't get my lungs empty for each following breath.

Then I learned that Vitamin C has an affinity for chlorine (or vice versa). I mix some sodium ascorbate (https://www.google.com/search?q=sodi...utf-8&oe=utf-8) in a nasal saline solution and irrigate my sinuses while in the shower after swimming. This has helped quite a bit.

BTW, I also mix some with my shampoo, which helps remove that chlorine smell.

Mine seems to be the opposite. I am "stuffy-clogged" after swimming practice.

Blog Entries

I swim at 2 different pools. on Tue, Thurs and weekends, I do solo lap swims at the gym. My nose gets runny during the swim and then I have sneezing fits within 1 hour I am out of the pool. But it doesn't bother me. On Mon, Wed, Fri, during the masters swim practice, I go to the local middle school pool. I don't remember my nose being runny at all.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssumargo View Post
    I swim at 2 different pools. on Tue, Thurs and weekends, I do solo lap swims at the gym. My nose gets runny during the swim and then I have sneezing fits within 1 hour I am out of the pool. But it doesn't bother me. On Mon, Wed, Fri, during the masters swim practice, I go to the local middle school pool. I don't remember my nose being runny at all.
    Here's a study about allergic and other reactions to chlorine in pools. Kinda scary...a little bit.

I've developed an chronic runny nose after about 5 years of swim training. I've upped my time in the pool in the last 6 months to 1-1.5 hrs swimming. Now have the runny nose and sneezing like I have an allergy. I've never had any allergy symptoms, ever until say the last 2-3 months. Sinuses are clogged at times and ears clogged too (not with water).

Here's a link to the study...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351252/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast