Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 lcm nationals

Participating Member

Re: 2017 lcm nationals

A few rooms have been added to the block at The Commons. These rooms will be available for reservation through this weekend by calling: (800)822-6757. The block is under U.S. Masters Swimming.

Participating Member

Need to warm up in a crowded pool? Our Scott Bay has six pieces of advice: http://www.usms.org/articles/article...y.php?aid=3368.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.paulling View Post
    Need to warm up in a crowded pool? Our Scott Bay has six pieces of advice: http://www.usms.org/articles/article...y.php?aid=3368.
    while i like scott, this article is horrible!

1 - all the lanes will have HORRIBLE pace and that of the slowest in the lane. typically someone over 80 doing breaststroke. granted someday i hope thats me, but all 8-10 lanes will have 3-20 people in each doing this. there i no way to do anything fast. and exactly how do i communicate with 100 others in my lane?
    2 - oh do verticle kick in a lane with 100 others in it? yeah way to make a bad situation even worse. HORRIBLE tip!
    3 - possibly a good tip...well if your race is a 50...maybe a 100. bad idea if its a 200. you will suffer greatly if its a 400 or 800!
    4 - pick another time... great...say 6-8hrs before my race? or the night before? no difference than on deck warmup. truely not an option
    5 - stand in line for 30min for 1 start and cannot be done in the warmup pool...well unless you are russian and dont care about the others in the lane you are landing on. or...you are one of the others in that lane and cringe coming into the blocks for fear of getting landed on by a russian.
    6 - there is no room at the wall and none for 15min on the rope either. being friendly leaves you on the rope and not getting any warmup in. there will be more people on the rope than swimming in the middle. follow the russian that just dove on top of 5 people...let them play "icebreaker" for you and stay on there heels. you will get in a fast 50 this way.

for those going to budapest. read this. read it again. prepare to live it. italy was the worlds largest swimmeet in 2012. you are about to be in a meet that is 60% bigger.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Steve, I wasn't in Italy; however I did go to Montreal. I agree with your post 100%! WHAT A ZOO IN THE WARM-UP POOL! I have been to several Nationals that were just as bad. 2012 in Greensboro was INSANE (as was my home Nationals at Georgia Tech, in 2010, when I was a newbie).

As a swimmer who trains on my own and ALWAYS has my own lane (thankfully!), I hate warming up in crowded pools. I have no phobias-- except warming up in a too-crowded pool where I'm afraid to get kicked and hit (which has happened often). Is there a name for that phobia? King Frog? Perhaps you can help me come up with one!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    .well unless you are russian and dont care about the others in the lane you are landing on. or...you are one of the others in that lane and cringe coming into the blocks for fear of getting landed on by a russian.... being friendly leaves you on the rope and not getting any warmup in. there will be more people on the rope than swimming in the middle. follow the russian that just dove on top of 5 people...let them play "icebreaker" for you and stay on there heels. you will get in a fast 50 this way.
    Does this apply to all Russians, a certain Russian, or just hypothetical Russians?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.paulling View Post
    Great article and good tips for making the best of less than ideal conditions. Looking forward to the meet!

Participating Member

Here's our live stream of the meet: https://www.usms.org/content/lcnats17live

Very Active Member

i was at both greensboro in 12 and montreal in 14...neither were even remotely close to what italy 2012 was. not even half.
    you might think they were bad unless you were in italy. there were more men in the 100m free in italy than the entire greensboro meet! i was in heat 126 of that 10 lane pool of 262 heats. think about that. 2600 men in the 100m free. which was after the 550 men in the 200m back.

and hard to say if it was just 1 russian or several as i didnt catch a real good look at them doing dives into a lane with other trying to swim in it. saw this many times in italy and montreal. especially like the guys with paddles in a full lane. how about that pace by the person with the kickboard? oh yeah...slower than a snail. i also greatly enjoyed the guys smoking on deck from ukraine/belarus/bulgaria not exactly sure of the flag on their shirts.

Blog Entries

Warmup pool in Italy. 5 lanes. SCM. Fish in a barrel. The draft was so strong, you could literally swim without moving your arms or legs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warmup%20pool.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	11254

Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    i was at both greensboro in 12 and montreal in 14...neither were even remotely close to what italy 2012 was. not even half.
    you might think they were bad unless you were in italy. there were more men in the 100m free in italy than the entire greensboro meet! i was in heat 126 of that 10 lane pool of 262 heats. think about that. 2600 men in the 100m free. which was after the 550 men in the 200m back.

and hard to say if it was just 1 russian or several as i didnt catch a real good look at them doing dives into a lane with other trying to swim in it. saw this many times in italy and montreal. especially like the guys with paddles in a full lane. how about that pace by the person with the kickboard? oh yeah...slower than a snail. i also greatly enjoyed the guys smoking on deck from ukraine/belarus/bulgaria not exactly sure of the flag on their shirts.

Thanks for reminding me why I will never go to another FINA World's again.
    Besides, after reading your post to my husband, he said, "I'll tell you one thing. If you go to another world championship meet, you'll be going alone."

I'm glad I went for the experience-- once. I enjoyed trading caps with the other swimmers and just being in that atmosphere; however, all that was actually more enjoyable than the competition itself. I prefer to warm-up Chris Stevenson style-- go straight to the blocks from the warm-up pool. (At least I think it's Chris who does this, if I remember correctly...)

My favorite part of the Montreal meet was my husband and I getting to spend time with King Frog and celebrate with him after he broke the World Record in the 200 breaststroke!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

For those of you who will be at the pool in the morning, my husband and I will be there to meet up with King Frog (Allen Stark) and cheer his wife, Seal Girl (Carol), on in the 800. I would love to meet you! Look for me in a white USMS t-shirt with the logo on the front.

On another subject, see those clouds building up outside? Thunderstorms are predicted to begin late tonight and continue into the morning. The high is predicted to be 65 degrees, a big drop from today!

Good luck in your races everybody!

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Have a great meet, everyone, especially those swimming Beautiful Stroke (Elaine and Allen, et al.)

Very Active Member

Thanks for putting on such a well run meet. The facility was beautiful and the pool was fast. I exceeded my own expectations this weekend, and even though I've been out of school longer than I'd been in, my mom still sat all day at a swim meet to watch me swim for a minute! (2 x 50's). But even so, she gained a new understanding about what makes masters swimming so great!
    To be fair, I also swam the 400 IM for the first time EVER...which she enjoyed immensley.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    Thanks for putting on such a well run meet. The facility was beautiful and the pool was fast. I exceeded my own expectations this weekend, and even though I've been out of school longer than I'd been in, my mom still sat all day at a swim meet to watch me swim for a minute! (2 x 50's). But even so, she gained a new understanding about what makes masters swimming so great!
    To be fair, I also swam the 400 IM for the first time EVER...which she enjoyed immensley.
    Thanks for the compliment and making the trip! We enjoyed hosting everybody this past week. Congrats and thanks to all participants and volunteers...could not have done this without everybody's support and help

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

This was an amazingly well run meet and the staff was great.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

Thanks for reminding me why I will never go to another FINA World's again.
    They're not all bad. I've been to two (Stanford in 2006 and Gothenburg in 2010) and both those meets were a manageable size. I really enjoyed both.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    This was an amazingly well run meet and the staff was great.
    Thanks Allen! Glad you could join us!

Thanks, Minnesota and USMS for a well run and fun meet!

I agree with the others. This meet was one of the best I've attended. Well run and great volunteers. Thank you SO MUCH for hosting!

Only large complaint I heard was how slippery the deck was. One person from SFTL broke her wrist when she fell and one of our Oregonian swimmers (aged 75) also fell. Thankfully she wasn't seriously injured but she did hit her head and hip and had a headache and some bruises.

If Minnesota hosts again, I think they might want to consider covering the deck more with the mats or carpet to prevent the falls.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    my mom still sat all day at a swim meet to watch me swim for a minute! (2 x 50's).
    Mom's are awesome!

Also, agree with the deck. Hot spot outside lane 8 along the length of the pool near the starting end where I nearly went down 3 times. I found the secret is to walk like you are constipated with a wide-based, shuffling gait (Perhaps that could be included in the flier next time).

The hotel literally next to the pool was ridiculously convenient and I feel a huge selling point to future events.

Awesome meet overall. I echo the above thanks for all the efforts in putting on the competition.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast