Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First meet

First meet

Just back from my first ever swim meet. Swam the 50y & 200y free. The best I ever did in training for 50y was 54 sec., today 51.91. I swam the 200 at my everyday pace not wanting to stress myself, 4:27.43. I've never done a 200 even in practice except on the way to 500 or 1000. I was happy with that and was probably even first in my AG since I saw no other 65-69 in that event. Also met a couple other first timers there, one of whom had only learned to swim a year ago.

It was also the first time I ever got the chance to dive off a starting block. None of the facilities I go to will allow it, so I just did a few practice dives but dove in from the deck in the races.

I'll be 69 next Sunday, so I want to do the epostal hour swim for the occasion. Next pool meet is Mar 5 in Southern Saratoga County. Waiting to hear from ssumargo next.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: First meet

Congrats!

Good job Sumo!

Dan

Awesome, and it sounds like you're hooked!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Way to go, Sumo! Now you have a baseline and know what you can do. Keep striving to improve!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    Just back from my first ever swim meet. Swam the 50y & 200y free. The best I ever did in training for 50y was 54 sec., today 51.91. I swam the 200 at my everyday pace not wanting to stress myself, 4:27.43. I've never done a 200 even in practice except on the way to 500 or 1000. I was happy with that and was probably even first in my AG since I saw no other 65-69 in that event. Also met a couple other first timers there, one of whom had only learned to swim a year ago.

It was also the first time I ever got the chance to dive off a starting block. None of the facilities I go to will allow it, so I just did a few practice dives but dove in from the deck in the races.

I'll be 69 next Sunday, so I want to do the epostal hour swim for the occasion. Next pool meet is Mar 5 in Southern Saratoga County. Waiting to hear from ssumargo next.
    Great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

ahhhhh!! congrats!

I have not signed up for the meet (yet). I have a couple more weeks to think about it. I've been making up excuses to justify why I shouldn't go.

But this is so amazing! I've been checking the forums religiously for your post. You make it sound so much fun and easy. I've been thinking of doing the epostal as well, but I can't find anyone that could enter the gym and count/time my laps.

It sounds as if you had a good time and good times. Keep at it . Congrats. You are a Masters swimmer!

Very Active Member

Yes, I just did a senior Olympics meet and the best 50 yard Breast in practice with the pace clock was 54 and in the race I did 51.21 and I did a 1:48.53 in 100 yard Breast. Pratice I think the best was between 1:55 to 1:57. So, you did well. I don't compared the times I did at age 45 which were 42.5 in 50 yard breast and 1:34 in 100 yard breast. Just have to go with my body now but are doing well for your age.

Q: How long does it generally take to see results from a meet posted? I'm accustomed to running races and seeing results online almost immediately. I've directed a few road races myself and strove to get them uploaded the same day. Oh sure, 25 years ago before everyone had internet connections and even those who did had to dial up, it would have taken a few days at most. But here I am a week from the last meet and have not seen official results posted. Is this normal.

Q: How long does it generally take to see results from a meet posted? I'm accustomed to running races and seeing results online almost immediately. I've directed a few road races myself and strove to get them uploaded the same day. Oh sure, 25 years ago before everyone had internet connections and even those who did had to dial up, it would have taken a few days at most. But here I am a week from the last meet and have not seen official results posted. Is this normal.
    For the meets that I have participated in, generally it took a week or two for the results to be posted. Some were posted the same day, however there was one meet that I did five years ago that was never posted.

In a open water event that I swam in last summer those results were "live", as soon as I crossed the finish line a text was sent. Made my wife who was unable to attend very happy that I survived ;-)

Similarly I too am waiting for the results from a meet that I swam in last weekend.

If you look at the USMS meet results page it not only list the meet dates, but the submitted dates as well.
    Last edited by swimark; January 29th, 2017 at 12:37 AM.

Yes it does take a while for the results to be posted. Good swims and fun for you. Keep at it. congrats

Blog Entries

Often results are posted in real time or close to it. Check the swimphone.com site or the MeetMobile app. There's a good chance (but no guarantees) that results can be found on one of them.

Participating Member

Looks like you are hooked. I say congrats. And congrats for being brave enough to share. ]

Participating Member

times are posted now

Yes. I sent an email to the meet director and he gave me the link.

UUUMMM? link is to an "art gallery"? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    UUUMMM? link is to an "art gallery"? Did I miss something?

Oh right, forgot to include the meet link
    https://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20170121HPNTRY

The other is my personal web page, always in the signature after every post.

OK Now we can look at times. thanx

Blog Entries

I did it! @Sumorunner, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have signed up. So thank you so much for the push.

Anyways, I am back from my first meet. I didn't have the guts like you to dive in, so I started in the water. I was the only one that started in the water, but nobody commented on it. I met some really nice people, but also bumped into really nasty ones too. While watching an event, the guy standing next to me was commenting about how slow some people are. I was so nervous before my first event, but by the time of my second event, my nerves had calmed down a bit. I really had fun, wish we had more events in NY. Next up, the 1 hour ePostals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast