Thread: pool choics

Participating Member christopher's Avatar

pool choics

I am moving from the Florida Gold Coast team to the Delaware valley area. Upper makefield PA. Please help me with USMS pools and coaches in the area.

Thank you.

PhillyFish
    Go to www.dvmasters.com
    That web site lists most of the places to swim in the area. May I put in a shamless plug that you should consider swimming for Colonials 1776. It is a large umbrella team made up of many, many "work-out groups".

Lightbulb pool locations

I found one in Yardley at the George School that seems close to me in New Hope, PA. They only workout in the early,early morning. But at least the swimming director was pleasant on the phone.

I will absolutley consider the team transfer to the 1776 colonials, Do you have a web site for the team?

Chris

PhillyFish
    I see I posted an incorrect web site. It should be
    www.dvmasters.org

1776 does not have a web site to my knowledge. You can make contact with the team through the above web site. We have a great newsletter. Also some local meets are listed through the web site. I think if you look around the web site you might find much helpful info. I swim for 1776 but train at a YMCA which does not have a coach. The team makes going to ZONES and Nationals so much fun because we can make relays for almost every team member. Swimming on the relays together is the best way to get to meet and become friends with other teammates which train at other locations.

thank you

Found the web site and used it to find the pool in Yardley that does have a coach, just not an optimal time for my schedule to swim.

Are you aware of any pools that have evening hours and masters swimming?

Thank you in advance.

PhillyFish
    I swim at the North Penn YMCA and we practice Tuesday and Thursday nights either 6:30 to 7:30PM or 7:30 to 8:30PM, or you could do both:-) plus Sunday afternoon 4-5:30PM. We are self-coached. We always welcome new faces.

Germantown Academy also has evening practice and they have coaches. Some folks swim at Villanova University but I'm not sure what the hours are except I know they swim Sunday morning. It is a drop in practice, you pay only when you go. I know some of the Y's have paid coaches.

I'm sure there are other evening groups. You would have to call the places listed and inquire about the times.

Phillyfish - you seem to know a lot about the groups in the area. Is there a group near Downingtown? Villanova is too far for me to go on a regular basis. There is an informal group at the Lionville Y where I swim (5 minutes from both home and work) - but I wouldn't call it a team. We all know the faces that we see there all of the time. There is no coached workout though and I would like to get some coaching. I am a self taught newbie - for about 16 months now. My 100 yard free SCY is 1:15 at its best but more in the range of 1:30 to 1:35 during a set. Other strokes are slower. I know I could improve with even a little bit of coaching.

PhillyFish
    Scansy - Is Phoenixville Y too far away? They have a good coach and an active masters team. I really don't know that much about the teams in the Phila. area. I just swim for 1776 and at the local and regional competitions I meet other teammates from different workout groups. Come to some of the meets, mix with the folks of 1776 and hook up with a group which practices in your area.

Phoenixville is about 20-25 minutes. Closer than Villanova. I will have to look them up.

newtown athletic club

I was able to get a workout in this Sunday at the Newtown Athletic Club. 6 lanes 25 meters. extremely clorinated. Not a bad place, following me was a junior team. This is located off the Yardley/newton exit of I95. They have masters workouts on tue- 7:30-9:00 and Thr 7:30 - 9:00 going to try this location when I move to PA.

Philly fish thank you for all the suggested places, landsdale looks about 25 miles according to mappoint.com.