Thread: Technique Advice (video inside)

Blog Entries

Technique Advice (video inside)

Hey all,

I took off about 5 years from swimming and resumed around 5 months ago. I got the itch to train for a meet and took part in one this past weekend. I didn't really have any expectations going in, just wanted to get back into swimming meets again.

I swam the following races with the following times : (all yards)

50 Fly --- 33 seconds
    50 Free --- 29 seconds
    100 IM --- 1:20
    100 Free --- 1:08
    100 Fly --- 1:19

I have a video of the 50 Fly, 50 Free, and 100 IM races. I'd love some feedback on what I can improve on, especially technique wise. I know that my technique isn't great so if you could direct me to some good drills to try or videos to watch that would be great.

I have another meet at the end of June and would like to improve on these times.

Heres the video :

Thanks a lot!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Technique Advice (video inside)

Hi, Swim! Welcome back! The videos were shot from too far away to really tell much. Can you get somebody to video your strokes again, so we can get a better look. See if you can get something more like this:
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I don't consider myself much of an expert. But I will say that your freestyle certainly sets you apart from the others. I don't see any elbow bend whatsoever. In fact, initially I thought it was a backstroke event until I looked at the swimmers in other lanes. I understand that a straight arm recovery can work for some swimmers...particularly in sprints. Nevertheless it just looks unusual to me. But if a straight arm recovery works for some...it makes me wonder why so many coaches push the high elbow finger tip drag drill so much.

Dan

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    I don't consider myself much of an expert. But I will say that your freestyle certainly sets you apart from the others. I don't see any elbow bend whatsoever. In fact, initially I thought it was a backstroke event until I looked at the swimmers in other lanes. I understand that a straight arm recovery can work for some swimmers...particularly in sprints. Nevertheless it just looks unusual to me. But if a straight arm recovery works for some...it makes me wonder why so many coaches push the high elbow finger tip drag drill so much.

Dan
    Perhaps you answered your own question: "...a straight arm recovery works for some." Not everybody has such loose shoulders as Janet Evans. For many (especially Masters swimmers), a straight arm recovery would eventually cause repetitive stress injuries. I avoid it like the plague.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson