Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When/how to transition from "lap" swimming to workouts?

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: When/how to transition from "lap" swimming to workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    Now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor about you being involved in something that my mother does (and she confirmed that she knows you well!), other stuff.

Wow. Wow. That is amazing. I want to think he was a butterflyer in his younger days, and would have been an Olympic favorite had we not boycotted the 1980 games. I want to think he has some step daughters my age, but I haven't really kept up with a lot of that.

Also very happy to see some investment in teh community! Oak Ridge, where my kids swim, is kind of like how Griffin at least used to be. Big community center, hige city park, all of teh sports done through the city. And as such, a city pool (indoor in our case). Sadly, so many things have gone away from community run activities to letting private entities, mostly churches, build gyms and other things, and operate sports leagues. My kids' middle school had 8 times as many relay teams at that meet than did the one in Oak Ridge.....yet Oak Ridge has the pool (7 lane, 25 yard). Part of it is UT, as well. And that team is a bit of a leviathan, but I won't comment further on that, as I have issues with small teams like ours having to de facto recruit against the state university for youth swimmers. We've been to some very, very nice YMCA facilities, many built with corporate sponsorship. But UT has 3 50M pools, so there really isn't much drive with our local Y's to do that.

I remember stumbling across another guy from Knoxville, and wondered if he were on the team at UT (TN Aquatics). Seems when I looked at his profile, his name was Jason or Judd or something wiht a J, don't recall. I know a few folks there. Some parents of former swimming teammates, and I've met some guys at the pool where I swim (a Gold's Gym) who weren't able to make the practices there at all times. At any rate, as I said, I was pretty humbled this morning. Gotta keep chugging to get into enough shape to actually do the workouts. And get a nose clip. There's a pretty strong back stoker who is neighbors with my sister in the Denver burbs. She just moved back there from California. I think she uses them. Real tall girl. Probably a fat chance, but it is a small world, right? You might have heard of her, too. I think her name is Misty or something?

Now that I have picked MY jaw up off the floor, I'm on my way now to see your mom at the Griffin Choral Arts Children's Chorus concert that she will be listening to as well. More later... Gotta run!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

I do more IM and don't swim more a 200 yard swim. The most in workouts was 400 IM. I usually swim 50's and 100's and sometimes 25. I kick more breaststroke than freestyle.

Alright, did another. A few thoughts on it.
    - The UDK comment from earlier was in reference to doiing them with fins. Without, not as bad. Which probably means I'm doiing them wrong, since my core isn't (though I'm sure 67Queen would insist that I get my diaphragm plenty of work being full of hot air and all that!).
    - Guessing at where 15M is by putting fins on the wall isn't very effective, as you can't really see them. No red stripes or anythign. Maybe I'll put them o the bottom of the pool next time?
    - When the whole workout references one's "100 pace," makes it kind of hard to do when you don't have a clue what that would be!
    - Guessing what it is probably isn't the best idea
    - However, guessing that it is "Focus: 100 Free @ 55.0" is not a good target for a newbie actually is a pretty good guess!
    - You know....it is really hard to do flip turns when there is no X on the wall. At least to new swimmers. Or new old swimmers. Or whatever it is when you start doing it again later in life. And along those lines, I'm sure that I'm not the only person in the world to injure a shoulder doing a flip turn......but the chances of me meeting the OTHER guy who has done it are pretty small.
    - I am convinced that the people that designed the drills were swiss watch makers. Sure they aren't as taxing as a lot of other things, but my lord! I'm not coordinated enough to do those (these were freestyle drills - catch up wasn't too bad, but the whole fingertip drag and hinge thing)?
    - Fingertip drag thing I think exists solely so people won't complain about water ingestion during breathing being only a backstroke thing.
    - Went at a different time today, much later, as I had an early eye doctor's appointment. So I saw some new people. I'll preface this by saying i swim at a Gold's Gym. And so everyone in there looks like Randy from a Christmas Story when his mother puts the winter coat on him (you know.....arms won't go down). So......I got to swim with Dolf Lundgren today! Well.....I think that's who it was. He was pretty intimidating. But swimming didn't appear to be his strong suit.
    - Lung Busters. Maybe "ego busters" is more applicable?
    - We need a little "RTFM" emoticon. Stands for "Read the manual" 'Cuz I need to do some more of that.
    - Trying to do sets with time using an analog watch (with foggy goggles) is a bit like an ornamental pear - just plain fruitless.
    - But! When I got home, a new Garmin Swim watch was waiting for me!

Alright, joking aside......I really have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to "relative to XXXXX pace." I probably erred on teh side of going too fast. My stroke count was way out of whack, it is usually about 18, but it was pretty consistently 22. I guess I"d expect a little higher, but not that much higher. Of couse, I was using my arms, then going "Hey, don't forget to kick!" at which point I forgot about my arms. So I had to have been pretty amusing to watch there!

Oh yeah.......I don't think I'll ever give my kid grief for breathing inside the flags, again!

I remember stumbling across another guy from Knoxville, and wondered if he were on the team at UT (TN Aquatics). Seems when I looked at his profile, his name was Jason or Judd or something wiht a J, don't recall.
    Yep, you got it! Judd is his name; that's Swimosaur!

I just returned from choir rehearsal. Your mom brought in some framed photos of your family to show me. What a beautiful family you have! It was nice to put a face with 67King, too, and now I know what the "67" stands for.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Alright, did another. A few thoughts on it.
    - The UDK comment from earlier was in reference to doiing them with fins. Without, not as bad. Which probably means I'm doiing them wrong, since my core isn't (though I'm sure 67Queen would insist that I get my diaphragm plenty of work being full of hot air and all that!).
    - Guessing at where 15M is by putting fins on the wall isn't very effective, as you can't really see them. No red stripes or anythign. Maybe I'll put them o the bottom of the pool next time?
    - When the whole workout references one's "100 pace," makes it kind of hard to do when you don't have a clue what that would be! PWB (Patrick Brundage) explained how to figure that out in his workouts. I'll bet if you sent him a private message, he could provide the link to that post.
    - Guessing what it is probably isn't the best idea
    - However, guessing that it is "Focus: 100 Free @ 55.0" is not a good target for a newbie actually is a pretty good guess!
    - You know....it is really hard to do flip turns when there is no X on the wall. At least to new swimmers. Or new old swimmers. Or whatever it is when you start doing it again later in life. And along those lines, I'm sure that I'm not the only person in the world to injure a shoulder doing a flip turn......but the chances of me meeting the OTHER guy who has done it are pretty small.
    - I am convinced that the people that designed the drills were swiss watch makers. Sure they aren't as taxing as a lot of other things, but my lord! I'm not coordinated enough to do those (these were freestyle drills - catch up wasn't too bad, but the whole fingertip drag and hinge thing)?
    - Fingertip drag thing I think exists solely so people won't complain about water ingestion during breathing being only a backstroke thing.
    - Went at a different time today, much later, as I had an early eye doctor's appointment. So I saw some new people. I'll preface this by saying i swim at a Gold's Gym. And so everyone in there looks like Randy from a Christmas Story when his mother puts the winter coat on him (you know.....arms won't go down). So......I got to swim with Dolf Lundgren today! Well.....I think that's who it was. He was pretty intimidating. But swimming didn't appear to be his strong suit.
    - Lung Busters. Maybe "ego busters" is more applicable?
    - We need a little "RTFM" emoticon. Stands for "Read the manual" 'Cuz I need to do some more of that.
    - Trying to do sets with time using an analog watch (with foggy goggles) is a bit like an ornamental pear - just plain fruitless.
    - But! When I got home, a new Garmin Swim watch was waiting for me!

Alright, joking aside......I really have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to "relative to XXXXX pace." I probably erred on teh side of going too fast. My stroke count was way out of whack, it is usually about 18, but it was pretty consistently 22. I guess I"d expect a little higher, but not that much higher. Of couse, I was using my arms, then going "Hey, don't forget to kick!" at which point I forgot about my arms. So I had to have been pretty amusing to watch there!

Oh yeah.......I don't think I'll ever give my kid grief for breathing inside the flags, again!

See comments above. Meanwhile, I really should forward some of your posts to your mom. I don't think she realizes how FUNNY you are!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

See comments above. Meanwhile, I really should forward some of your posts to your mom. I don't think she realizes how FUNNY you are!
    Shhh! I'm an engineer, I have a reputation to keep! But if you do, I guess it is good I didn't analogize the whole "until completely recovered" direction in the workout to a hangover. When is one "over" a hangover? When functional? Because really being "over" one means the next day! Kind of like recovering from some of this stuff......at least to this newbie!

And along those lines, I'm sure that I'm not the only person in the world to injure a shoulder doing a flip turn
    Alright, I'll refrain from sarcasm here. This is a real thing, here. I know I have work to do, and like I said, the lack of any contrast on the wall makes it more challenging. While I assume I'll get better at judging that from the end of teh stripe on the bottom, I seem to have an issue coming off of teh wall. I hurt my shoulder, again, today. Only this time it really hurt. When I pushed off, my left arm shot over across my body and pulled the back of my shoulder. It hurt. Like seriously hurt. I felt it pull. I haven't done flip turns in over 30 years, so I am getting all kinds of stuff all kinds of wrong. I was able to finish what I was doing this morning, but I need to address this.

Until I can work with someone, or get some video, is there anything that jumps out at anyone that I can work on? I don't think I've been coming off of the wall straight (which y'all might have deduced!). Does it sound like I"m trying to twist during the turn, rather than after? Should I just do touch turns until I get back in the pool that has the X on the wall, and then work on it, bringing it back to this pool?

Two things that I KNOW I am doing wrong: 1. I often pick up my head to look for the wall (I'm still a little "afraid" of it, as I jammed a couple of fingers a couple of months ago trying to relearn before I punted on them). I'm turning too early. I'm still well ahead of the wall. Those two might be related. But I'm not sure what I may be doing to have my arm cross over like that, and enough to hurt myself.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, Elaine. Thanks for teh compliments! I've lucked out pretty much my whole life on teh family thing. And one has to be a parent to fully appreciate the sacrifices one's own parents made, so I'm much more appreciative of Mom as an adult than I was as a kid. I don't know how she managed it all.

Alright, I'll refrain from sarcasm here. This is a real thing, here. I know I have work to do, and like I said, the lack of any contrast on the wall makes it more challenging. While I assume I'll get better at judging that from the end of teh stripe on the bottom, I seem to have an issue coming off of teh wall. I hurt my shoulder, again, today. Only this time it really hurt. When I pushed off, my left arm shot over across my body and pulled the back of my shoulder. It hurt. Like seriously hurt. I felt it pull. I haven't done flip turns in over 30 years, so I am getting all kinds of stuff all kinds of wrong. I was able to finish what I was doing this morning, but I need to address this.

Until I can work with someone, or get some video, is there anything that jumps out at anyone that I can work on? I don't think I've been coming off of the wall straight (which y'all might have deduced!). Does it sound like I"m trying to twist during the turn, rather than after? Should I just do touch turns until I get back in the pool that has the X on the wall, and then work on it, bringing it back to this pool?

Two things that I KNOW I am doing wrong: 1. I often pick up my head to look for the wall (I'm still a little "afraid" of it, as I jammed a couple of fingers a couple of months ago trying to relearn before I punted on them). I'm turning too early. I'm still well ahead of the wall. Those two might be related. But I'm not sure what I may be doing to have my arm cross over like that, and enough to hurt myself.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, Elaine. Thanks for teh compliments! I've lucked out pretty much my whole life on teh family thing. And one has to be a parent to fully appreciate the sacrifices one's own parents made, so I'm much more appreciative of Mom as an adult than I was as a kid. I don't know how she managed it all.
    I swam for awhile in a pool without the end of pool "targets". I had some tiles that were left from tiling the bathroom that I put in the swim bag and took to the pool. i would put some down at the end of the pool and some down 3 feet out and then I had something to watch for. In terms of the shoulder injury, I it sounds like you are not getting your arms locked in streamlined position before pushing off. Work on making sure your arms are set before the push.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Your mom is a wonderful lady, and I'll bet she was a good mom. You did luck out!

I'm sorry you hurt your shoulder-- bummer! Hey, is the bottom or side of the pool tile? If so, I wonder if you could stick on something with a suction cup backing (like a kid's tub or shower toy) to stick on the bottom to mark where to start your turn. Either that, or you could bring a plastic-coated weight for the bottom of the pool. Of course, King Frog's suggestion was a good one!

By the way, if you ever need breaststroke advice, hop on over to "The Breaststroke Lane" thread. That's the lily pad where all us frogs hang out.
    King Frog is the KING of the pad, and he croaks the best advice of all. (I saw him break the World Record at 2011 Nationals in Auburn , and then I was competing with him at the World Championships on Montreal when he broke it again. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it, because I was competing over at the women's pool at the same time. The celebratory dinner afterwards was fun, though!)

Hey, is the bottom or side of the pool tile? If so, I wonder if you could stick on something with a suction cup backing (like a kid's tub or shower toy) to stick on the bottom to mark where to start your turn.
    The pool's surface is made of some industrial grade, diamond based, 36 grit abrasive material, to which nothing will stick. Except human flesh, as I learned when I attempted my first go at UDK's with fins on my back for the first time, and promptly nailed the bottom of the pool!!!

Allen's idea looks really good, I will see if I can try that until I can better learn my timing and location and all of that. Hope the stripes on the bottom are teh same distance on both sides. The weird thing, which I assume has something to do with the pool's flow, is that it almost always takes me one more stroke going one way than the other.

On Breaststroke advice.......I'm not quirky enough to be a breast stroker! I'm an engineer. Always was good at fly. Or maybe I should say less bad.

My daughter was in the pool a couple of times at Age Group Sectionals with a girls during new national record swims (SCY - so hey, that means world record, too, by default!). 12 year old girl did a 54.00 in the 100 Fly, and a 24.39 in the 50. I have a few pictures of my daughter sharing the podium with her, which is pretty cool.

The pool's surface is made of some industrial grade, diamond based, 36 grit abrasive material, to which nothing will stick. Except human flesh, as I learned when I attempted my first go at UDK's with fins on my back for the first time, and promptly nailed the bottom of the pool!!!

Allen's idea looks really good, I will see if I can try that until I can better learn my timing and location and all of that. Hope the stripes on the bottom are teh same distance on both sides. The weird thing, which I assume has something to do with the pool's flow, is that it almost always takes me one more stroke going one way than the other.

On Breaststroke advice.......I'm not quirky enough to be a breast stroker! I'm an engineer. Always was good at fly. Or maybe I should say less bad.

My daughter was in the pool a couple of times at Age Group Sectionals with a girls during new national record swims (SCY - so hey, that means world record, too, by default!). 12 year old girl did a 54.00 in the 100 Fly, and a 24.39 in the 50. I have a few pictures of my daughter sharing the podium with her, which is pretty cool.

OUCH! It sounds like you have had a tough go of it, between your shoulder on flip turns and scraping the bottom of the pool.
    Keep your sense of humor and motivation; I'm sure it will get better in the pool for you!

What a cool experience for your daughter! By the way, your mom used me as a consultant on her Christmas gift. I hope she's enjoying her swim boxes!

Unhappy Re: When/how to transition from "lap" swimming to workouts?

It sounds like you have had a tough go of it...............
    Keep your sense of humor and motivation;

What a cool experience for your daughter! By the way, your mom used me as a consultant on her Christmas gift. I hope she's enjoying her swim boxes!
    Oh, I am FINE. Honestly. I just threw that out there because y'all seemed to appreciate my sarcastic sense of humor. Besides, at least swimsuits don't stick to the bottom of the pool......unlike our Summer league pool, as I learned dong the backstroke on a parent relay at the end of the year party a few years ago!!! That and I really WAS looking for input on the shoulder thing. It is better today.......of course my plan to just go do 3500-4000 yards of lap swimming was destroyed by a sick kid I had to get to the doctor, grrr....

Abigail LOVES the Swimfluence stuff! That was a GREAT gift! She has been slowing working her way up the ladder, and has made great strides over the past couple of years. Goals keep moving up. Had a setback at our LSC (SES) championship as she was sick all week the week before, and added time in everything. Still got a 2nd place in the 50 Fly, a couple of 4ths, and the rest all top 10's, but she had really wanted a couple of 1sts, and had a chance. Sectionals were obviously much bigger, and she dropped time, but a couple of mental breakdowns cost her. Took a VERY late extra stroke into the wall on the 50 Fly.....to the poinit where she almost hit the wall with her head. That took her from 2/3 to 5. Bad 3rd turn on the 100 Fly cost her a Senior cut (she went 1:00.43). It is funny how critical some teeny little mistakes can be. She is hoping for the Zones team this year. I honestly don't know what to expect. She's a bit behind most of those girls developmentally, so it'll be tough, but the future darn sure looks good!!! Pic for reference.....she's the one on the right (and she's in front of that girl! but admittedly, she's one of the bigger ones) right before I believe backstroke finals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	size delta_small.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	11100  

Alright, so a few weeks in and things are going pretty well. That whole drowning while doing backstroke thing was solved with the nose clip. So much so that I can actually hold underwaters for 12-13 yards even after a 3500 yard workout.

So admittedly, the first few workouts I tried I wasn't able to finish. Mark beat me up pretty badly. At any rate, that's pretty much better, now. I still have a lot of work to do. I am quite sure I'm doing some of the drills wrong. I don't know how to figure out how to pace myself, and while I am getting a lot better at doing flip turns consistently, they take too much out of me, and I can't do them for a whole workout. I think it is related to the fact that I have to breathe out while doing them. Good news is, when I started swimming laps in February, my heart rate was in the low 70's. Got down to mid 60's pretty quickly, but stayed there. I had hoped to lose about 15 pounds, most of which I did with diet changes, but I'm actually down about 25. Lost 3" in my waist. None of that has changed with the change to workouts......but my heart rate is actually down a bit. That was the one goal I hadn't been able to hit until I started doing this, I'm now in the upper 50's.

So two general questions for anyone who might have followed the path that I did. First is the whole flip turn thing. Are you best served just forcing your way through it, or are you better off reverting to touch turns to get through a set. Right now, when the sets are focused on shorter events, I'll do flip turns. When longer, I'll do touch turns.

Second set is how to figure out how to pace oneself? Example, I somewhat arbitrarily picked a 40 second pace to use as a baseline for my 200 free workout. And I really had a hard time hitting it. I tried slowing down my tempo, but still focused on my efficiency (long reach, slow but hard pull). I kept coming in around 36-37 seconds. Easily 3/4 of the time. I may have hit :40 once every 8 reps. Which is all well and fine.....early on. Towards the end I could feel my stroke getting sloppier. I'd still make the interval, but I just felt the stroke going away from me. Then when I went to do a test set (150 yards at pace), I crashed. I had done 16 50's at :40 or under with :20 rest (:15 on last four). And after 100 yards at 1:22, I couldn't make it any further. Was dead.

Contrast that with the 500 workout. I know I can do a 500 in under 7:30, I have hit 7:15 a few times early on while lap swimming. But I still for the sake of getting through the workout (and frankly keeping track of the clock!), I went for a 7:30, or :45 pace. Kept coming in at :42, occasionally :43. That workout was fine, I'm actually writing up the intervals on the clock based on a :43 pace for the next time Mark posts that workout. I think I'll be safe with that, I did the Davis Mile today in 28:01 (or a 26:21 1650).

But here is what gets me. I did 40 50's at that pace, on 4 hours of sleep, and was fine. Yet the day before working on the 200's, after having only done 16 50's, I couldn't even hold :40 for 100 yards. The one difference that may have worked in favor of the 500's is that I did all touch turns on it, and all flip turns on the workout for the 200's.

Any thoughts? Am I off to think that I ought to be able to hit teh 200 more easily than I did the 500?

Congratulations on your progress, 67! You have done outstanding with your weight loss and fitness, so keep up the good work!

I'm glad to hear your waterboarding days are over, too. A nose clip is such an easy and inexpensive way to solve that problem.

As for all of your other questions, I will leave it to the experts to address. I may be good at writing motivational articles ( http://www.swimspire.com/staying-sel...-solo-swimmer/ ), but when it comes down to nuts and bolts,

As for all of your other questions, I will leave it to the experts to address. I may be good at writing motivational articles ( http://www.swimspire.com/staying-sel...-solo-swimmer/ ), but when it comes down to nuts and bolts,
    Actually.....I'd really like to know what other people do or have done. I'm going to shoot Mark (swimdogs) an e-mail, he is absolutely fantastic. But I posted this here because I specifically want input from "muggles." So does everyone do flip turns off of every wall on free and back? Or do they take too much out of you after 50-75 per hour? Has anyone else here taken it up late in life and struggled to find out how to pace himself?

Actually.....I'd really like to know what other people do or have done. I'm going to shoot Mark (swimdogs) an e-mail, he is absolutely fantastic. But I posted this here because I specifically want input from "muggles." So does everyone do flip turns off of every wall on free and back? Or do they take too much out of you after 50-75 per hour? Has anyone else here taken it up late in life and struggled to find out how to pace himself?
    Well, I never do any flip turns any flip turns anymore, because I have Meniere's, and repetitive flip turns make me seasick. I'm fine for the first few, but it gets gradually worse after that.

I had plenty of struggles trying to figure out how to pace myself, so I relied on my fellow Forumites by reading all the threads and searching for pearls of wisdom. In addition, I remember Patrick Brundage ("pwb") explaining how to do a test swim to determine your pace, when he posted the high-volume workouts. That post appeared at the beginning of the year he wrote the sets. Try doing an advanced search and see if you can locate it.

When I got back into the pool after a long time out, flip turns felt exhausting. For me, it was that interruption to the breathing rhythm, to have to make a breath last longer while the body did something very different from what it had done all the way down the lane. I do flip every freestyle turn in my workouts now, but it took a little while of considering that the goal but also acknowledging that I was going to have to do a mix of open and flip turns for a while before I was really ready to flip them all.

I have never made backstroke flip turns a priority. I learned turns back before they were legal, so the timing of turning over and starting the flip is new territory for me. I do want to master them at some point, but other challenges have taken precedence for me so far.

Participating Member

Fairly new here, as I joined, made one post, and then broke my pelvis the very next day and couldn't swim for a while, but I have returned to swimming to lose weight as I am still rehabbing my pelvis and most cardio is out, after being on HS swim team over 20 years ago. I find it almost impossible to pace myself, I end up going as fast as I can and wearing myself out quickly (I'm a 200lb. out of shape 35 year old woman) or I end up so focused on slowing down my technique suffers and I still wear myself out rather quickly. I'm ignoring flipturns for right now. It just takes too much energy and is one more thing to focus on technique-wise. I've got enough on my plate just trying to build some endurance back up, slow my butt down (doesn't help my 9 year old daughter is on swim team, shares a lane with me most days, and constantly challenges me to race lol), and ensuring my technique is developing soundly after so much time away.

Quote Originally Posted by aholloway1982 View Post
    I have returned to swimming to lose weight as I am still rehabbing my pelvis and most cardio is out, after being on .
    Great for getting back in it!

Alright, I'll give you my thoughts since I was not too far from where you are now. First thing is ADJUST YOUR DIET *****NOW*****! I cit way back, and renormalized what I ate before I got into the water. Lost 12 pounds with that (granted I cut WAY back) in a few weeks. Then when I started swimming, I ate more due to the calories burned. And at this point, I've lost over 25 pounds, and I'm really not trying to (almost the opppsite).

But GET THE DIWT SORTED FIRST.

Now, that said, for the rest of it. Just get in there and do it. I still am sorting out pacing, but I'm getting there. I bought a Garmin Swim which I don't much care for but I have a pace clock now. Once I got settled into a comfortable routine, I picked up the workouts. And I got uncomfortable, which is what I kind of need.

When switched to workouts, I was a little over 160 (from 185 before I started with the diet thing). Heart rate was 66 (from 72). Now I'm under 160 (157-159 depending), but my heart rate is mid 50's, and actually under 50 if I skip a few days. I am a lot more concerned about heart rate as a measurable than anything else. And I credit following SwimDog's workouts for that.

Congrats for getting back in. Diet diet diet, and make sure you do NOT get comfortable in your workouts.

Others may have differing opinions, but that is what worked for me, and I think it will f0r you, too.

Participating Member

Yeah, I'm on track with the diet, that was one of the few things I COULD control when my broke pelvis had me sidelined from the large majority of my life's activities and hobbies. My heart rate is still wayyyyyy on up there (wasn't kidding when I said I was out of shape!) so I try to keep it in the fatburning range instead of the anaerobic range. That part is the hardest for me, because I guess once a sprinter always a sprinter lol? I had a really good swim yesterday, alternating lengths between backstroke and breast stroke, and managed to hit one of those really good "strides" for lack of a better word where I knew I was working, I was breathing hard, but I could just go and go and go and go. Then I get out of the pool and discover my fitbit had died and hadn't tracked my distance or time or anything lol (still saving up for a better swim tracker, having to swim with my daughter sharing a lane and constantly talking to me makes it impossible for me to mentally keep track lol).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12