Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spring Format

Participating Member

2018 Spring Format

I see that National Championships page lists the 2018 Spring Nationals as SCY or SCM (TBD). How and when will this decision be made, and how do we make our voices heard on this subject?

I, for one, feel very strongly the meet should be swum in short course yards. This is the culmination of the scy season. An scm season has organically developed after lcm and ending in December. Please do not turn this all on its head because we are also calling this meet an "International" Championship.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 2018 Spring Format

I for one would love for spring nationals to be SCM. The difference with SCY is not great, and there are few SCM facilities in the country that can have a championship with 2000 people. Indy is one of them.

There is too much emphasis on SCY, a course that nobody else in the world uses. And one of the joys of masters swimming has been having fast SCM meets, something I didn't really get to do in HS/college. It's time to have a real SCM nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCummins View Post
    An scm season has organically developed after lcm and ending in December. Please do not turn this all on its head because we are also calling this meet an "International" Championship.
    Organic or not, the only time we can have an official SCM national championship is at spring nationals (article 104.1.1 in the rule book).
    These opinions are mine mine mine and not USMS'.

Very Active Member

I too would be interested in a SCM nationals at Indy. Given the time of year, SCM "season" is very difficult.

SCM or SCY, don't matter. I'll be there either way. It's a pool; I'm a swimmer. Fill it with water, put the bulkheads wherever, and let's race!

Quote Originally Posted by RonCummins View Post
    I see that National Championships page lists the 2018 Spring Nationals as SCY or SCM (TBD). How and when will this decision be made, and how do we make our voices heard on this subject?

I, for one, feel very strongly the meet should be swum in short course yards. This is the culmination of the scy season. An scm season has organically developed after lcm and ending in December. Please do not turn this all on its head because we are also calling this meet an "International" Championship.
    The decision rests with the USMS Championship Committee.

I have heard comments like the one from Ron above (strongly against SCM), from people like ChrisS/JenniferP (prefer SCM) and people like GaryP (will be there either way). The challenge is trying to decide what suits the majority. All Riverside entrants were given an opportunity to fill out a survey about this subject after the meet and we should have the results soon. We don't have the means to poll the entire membership, but asking those who just attended Spring Nationals seemed like as good of a place as any to ask prospective swimmers their opinions on the two course formats. A decision on which course will be used is expected no later than September. The official deadline per the rulebook is six months prior to the start of the meet.

Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

Blog Entries

What's the best way for members to offer their opinions now?

Participating Member

Thanks Jeff, I just wanted to get my opinion out there.

I'm with ChrisS and JenniferP. I would love to see a true SCM National Championship meet as I've never both tapered for a SCM meet and had the sufficient time between events that a National Championship would allow. I also agree with Chris that there's not much difference between SCY and SCM and that way too much emphasis is placed on SCY.

Jeff, even though the survey was taken at Nationals, there may be a slight skewing of data as Southern California has a very large SCM meet each December. With the majority of swimmers at Nationals being West Coasters, they may not feel the need for a SCM National Championship since they have a premier meet right in their backyard. Most of us are not so fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin View Post
    What's the best way for members to offer their opinions now?
    This forum thread is a great opportunity to express opinions on the matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    This forum thread is a great opportunity to express opinions on the matter.
    I'm in favor of SCM. Indianapolis would be a great venue to try this.

I was at Riverside but seemed to have missed that survey. I am in favor of a real SCM National Championship, although I would prefer it in 2019 when I age up!
    Glenn Gruber

Quote Originally Posted by Karlene View Post
    Jeff, even though the survey was taken at Nationals, there may be a slight skewing of data as Southern California has a very large SCM meet each December. With the majority of swimmers at Nationals being West Coasters, they may not feel the need for a SCM National Championship since they have a premier meet right in their backyard. Most of us are not so fortunate.
    Yes, we have a big SCM meet in December in Southern California, but a National Championship that might even attract more international swimmers would be a good thing! I am for it.
    Glenn Gruber

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I was at Riverside but seemed to have missed that survey. I am in favor of a real SCM National Championship, although I would prefer it in 2019 when I age up!
    It was a link in the post-meet email a week after the meet sent to all entrants.

Jeff, is the event lineup for each day set?
    C.J. Rushman
    Great Lakes Zone Chair
    Kentucky LMSC Chair
    ASCA Level III USA/Masters Certified Coach
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Very Active Member

Count me in favor of SCM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin View Post
    I'm in favor of SCM. Indianapolis would be a great venue to try this.
    I agree. Indy would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    SCM or SCY, don't matter. I'll be there either way. It's a pool; I'm a swimmer. Fill it with water, put the bulkheads wherever, and let's race!

Participating Member

Boy, I hope the survey at Nationals went better for me than the replies to this thread are going. I should have kept my big mouth shut!

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    It was a link in the post-meet email a week after the meet sent to all entrants.
    Thanks. I seem to have missed that too!
    Glenn Gruber

Blog Entries

I'm in the "I'll probably attend either way" camp. I can't really say I've got a strong preference either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast