64. You may not vote on this poll
  • SCM

37 57.81%
  • SCY

27 42.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Spring Nationals SCY vs SCM

Re: 2018 Spring Nationals SCY vs SCM

Our team is divided on which way to go? The triathletes are for yards and the pool swimmers would like meters.

Participating Member

I think switching to SCM is a terrible idea. For those of us who set goals and plan our swimming, to have a sudden switch from SCY to SCM plays havoc with goals for the SCY season. I swim Nationals every year to obtain best times and break records as an end-of-season event. That would mean no end-of-season event for SCY next year. I just moved into a new age group and have already begun thinking about my SCY goals for next year. If something like this is in the works there should be a lot more warning than a less than one year heads up. SCM season is from Sept through December. The SCM season has worked well in its current time of year and has not prevented those who can from posting top 10 FINA rankings. Very disappointing if it happens.

Very Active Member

If the meet is scm, I would seriously consider going. If not, it's just another scy meet...

The USMS Championship Committee, after consultation with the host, has selected Short Course Yards for 2018 USMS Spring Nationals (Indy).

Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

Participating Member

It's good to see the idea of changing nationals to SCM at least being considered. We need to break out of our America-centered bubble and admit that SCY is an anachronism, quaint but increasingly meaningless. Imagine a track meet with 220/440/880 yard events. Meters is the world standard and insisting on our own "unofficial" format is simply out of touch. It's understandable that SCY meets persist because we've invested in that infrastructure for so long, but we should be actively phasing it out by discouraging the construction of 25 yard pools like we did 50 yard format. In my opinion, new pools should at least have a metric format option. We should not fear the transition from yards to meters. Let's evolve!

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Guthrie View Post
    It's good to see the idea of changing nationals to SCM at least being considered. We need to break out of our America-centered bubble and admit that SCY is an anachronism, quaint but increasingly meaningless. Imagine a track meet with 220/440/880 yard events. Meters is the world standard and insisting on our own "unofficial" format is simply out of touch. It's understandable that SCY meets persist because we've invested in that infrastructure for so long, but we should be actively phasing it out by discouraging the construction of 25 yard pools like we did 50 yard format. In my opinion, new pools should at least have a metric format option. We should not fear the transition from yards to meters. Let's evolve!
    I personally don't care but with increasingly cut programs, new pools probably are not happening very often. Then we are left with 100s of obsolete pools. Also, not sure I agree with your definition of evolving...being like the rest of the world.

I remember sometime around 1975 when I was in 2nd grade our math books had problems on the left page that were english units and problems on the right that were metric units. We were told it was good to start getting comfortable with metric units because by the year 1980 we would be fully switched over to metric.

Blog Entries

Those interested in a short course meters meet should consider Canadian Masters Nationals in Calgary next spring. I'm not sure the decision has been made yet whether it will be short course or long course, but I'm very confident it will be in meters!

Some of us remember when there actually were 220-, 440-, and 880-yard events in the pool.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's good to see the idea of changing nationals to SCM at least being considered. We need to break out of our America-centered bubble and admit that SCY is an anachronism, quaint but increasingly meaningless.
    For me the more important reason is that there are far more options for fast SCY meets in good pools than for SCM meets.

I would have gone to Indy as a SCM meet. But as a yards meet, I don't see it as a significant improvement over the fast zone meet that is within driving distance.
    These opinions are mine mine mine and not USMS'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Those interested in a short course meters meet should consider Canadian Masters Nationals in Calgary next spring. I'm not sure the decision has been made yet whether it will be short course or long course, but I'm very confident it will be in meters!
    And the pool in Calgary is quite nice - in addition to the main competition pool, there's an adjacent long course pool, so I suspect warm-up/cool-down facilities will be great.

Maybe in 2019 meters for Nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    Maybe in 2019 meters for Nationals?
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that. If USMS Championship Committee was unwilling to go with SCM with a willing meet host and the perfect venue, it's not going to happen. While the rule book says that Spring Nationals can be either SCY or SCM, it's going be be SCY for the foreseeable future.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlene View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that. If USMS Championship Committee was unwilling to go with SCM with a willing meet host and the perfect venue, it's not going to happen.
    Indy was willing, until it wasn't.
    These opinions are mine mine mine and not USMS'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Indy was willing, until it wasn't.
    Was it Indy or the competition committee that didn't want to do a SCM?

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    Was it Indy or the competition committee that didn't want to do a SCM?
    Combination of both. The Championship Committee made the decision with input from the host.

The post-Riverside participant survey was also a big influence on the decision.

The people have spoken - ok - maybe only the ones with an opinion either way.

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    The USMS Championship Committee, after consultation with the host, has selected Short Course Yards for 2018 USMS Spring Nationals (Indy).

Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

That's great to hear it is SCY! This will be my first nationals with masters, and with all the training for SCY end of season goals, I think more swimmers in the country would come. Isn't there a nationals for SCM already?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swim13stat15 View Post
    Isn't there a nationals for SCM already?
    No. Only SCY and LCM. SCM gets short shrift.

SCM only gets local meets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12