Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

  1. #21
    Very Active Member SwimDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polson, MT
    Posts
    321
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Each spring, SwimTrek (a USMS sponsor) provides Long Distance & Channel Training tours on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca, about 75 miles south of Barcelona.

    It's an EXCELLENT way to establish one's base for a Channel attempt.

    The water temperatures run 57-60 with the air in the mid-70s. On day five of the six-day tour, there is a six-hour "Channel Qualifying Swim" with support crew, safety, feeding, etc.

    Earlier in the week, there are Channel training specific seminars covering Feeding, Hydration, Hypothermia, Fatigue, and Motivation. All of the guides are experienced LONG DISTANCE, COLD WATER swimmers and/or support crew. They can even help with training plans and boat arrangements.

    https://www.swimtrek.com/packages/sw...ining-mallorca

  2. #22
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    731

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    We met at 2am, did some paperwork (supposed to have your passport...my wife did not). I started swimming at 337am. First 4 hours was kinda miserable. With the sun up, I felt much better. I was in French water by about 4.5 hours and thought I would be well under 10 but I think I was swimming against a current or something at the end.
    ok who here wants up at 2am to swim at 337am in cold water?
    and not just a dip, but do it for basically 11hrs.

    i'll be the 1st to raise my hand and say NOT ME!!!
    plus there is no stripe on the bottom to follow i would zigzag so much i would make it a 40mile crossing
    Last edited by sunruh; September 6th, 2017 at 02:04 PM.

  3. #23
    Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    547

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Kudos!

  4. #24
    Very Active Member ddl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    316

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Congratulations! What is your age or age group? Did you wear dark or light-colored goggles or did you change goggles during the crossing? Also when you finish did you get puffy face from the salt and numb hands? Just curious.

  5. #25
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    545

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ddl View Post
    Congratulations! What is your age or age group? Did you wear dark or light-colored goggles or did you change goggles during the crossing? Also when you finish did you get puffy face from the salt and numb hands? Just curious.
    I'm 50. I used clear goggles the whole way. I got hit right over upper and lower lips with a jelly fish but no swelling or numbness. I did get a 24 hour flu (fever, body aches, shaking chills) about 1 day after completing.

  6. #26
    Very Active Member ddl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    316

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    I'm 50. I used clear goggles the whole way. I got hit right over upper and lower lips with a jelly fish but no swelling or numbness. I did get a 24 hour flu (fever, body aches, shaking chills) about 1 day after completing.
    Thanks. (No video?)

  7. #27
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,278
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    You swam against a current in cold water in the EC and STILL did 10:xx hrs?! Just... wow! I'm getting slowly into marathon swims, and a recent one, partly against a current resulted in a dnf (6.5 out of 8 miles. .... last year, I finished, so 8 is my longest swim... 21 isn't even on the horizon at the moment, although a double digit swims keeps beckoning).

    Would love to know how you handle/prevent the pain. My arms feel like they're going to fall off when I go longer than 3-4 miles.

    Bottom line. .... huge congratulations!

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,204

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Read about our fellow Forumite, (and my fellow Swimspire writer) here: http://www.swimspire.com/swimspire-s...annel-swimmer/

    Great article, Kurt and Julia!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  9. #29
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,730
    Blog Entries
    2005

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Great article, Kurt!
    You're still insane, but oh so inspiring ... I just might man up and swim the 1500 LCM someday again (in climate controlled water) as that's about as tough as I can aspire to be

  10. #30
    Very Active Member gdanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fairport, NY
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    583

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Congrats Kurt!

    Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    ok who here wants up at 2am to swim at 337am in cold water?

    i'll be the 1st to raise my hand and say NOT ME!!!
    plus there is no stripe on the bottom to follow i would zigzag so much i would make it a 40mile crossing
    Yeh, this is never happening for me. I'm allergic to cold water.
    NI LMSC Chair/Webmaster - http://www.niagaramasters.org

  11. #31
    Very Active Member Water Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sewickley, PA
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    1074

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    I've been looking for something to do this year as I turn 50, but there is no chance I'd attempt something like this. So amazing Kurt. Just so amazing.

  12. #32
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,007
    Blog Entries
    566

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Read about our fellow Forumite, (and my fellow Swimspire writer) here: http://www.swimspire.com/swimspire-s...annel-swimmer/

    Great article, Kurt and Julia!
    Yes, this was interesting! So it sounds like it costs around $4k to rent the boat and pilot, correct? Wow, that's steep!

  13. #33
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,730
    Blog Entries
    2005

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I've been looking for something to do this year as I turn 50
    Start with the 400 IM

  14. #34
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    545

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    So it sounds like it costs around $4k to rent the boat and pilot, correct? Wow, that's steep!
    Plus I took my wife and daughter to crew for me. Then my daughter got married and I felt guilty and had to bring him. Also, one should get there several days either side of your tide in case you go early or late--2 weeks lodging. 4 flights in the economy class (where the floor starts looking like a great place to be after 10 hours of flying). Rental car (max out the insurance--those narrow roads are insane!) for 2 weeks. Grand total of around 15-20k. Don't worry I've not started a Go fund me. I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however.

    As an aside, WR, I agree with PWB, 400 IM is a great place to start...much cheaper than my mid-life crisis and any standard mid-life crisis (corvette, girlfriend, plastic surgery, divorce).

  15. #35
    Very Active Member ddl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    316

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however.
    More buoyant now

  16. #36
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,007
    Blog Entries
    566

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Plus I took my wife and daughter to crew for me. Then my daughter got married and I felt guilty and had to bring him. Also, one should get there several days either side of your tide in case you go early or late--2 weeks lodging. 4 flights in the economy class (where the floor starts looking like a great place to be after 10 hours of flying). Rental car (max out the insurance--those narrow roads are insane!) for 2 weeks. Grand total of around 15-20k. Don't worry I've not started a Go fund me. I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however.
    It's a lot, but if there's anything that's a "once in a lifetime" event, this is pretty much it!

  17. #37
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    731

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however.
    are you saving more money and doing the surgery yourself?

  18. #38
    Very Active Member Water Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sewickley, PA
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    1074

    Re: Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    As an aside, WR, I agree with PWB, 400 IM is a great place to start...much cheaper than my mid-life crisis and any standard mid-life crisis (corvette, girlfriend, plastic surgery, divorce).
    Can I drill it?

    if your kidney doesn't sell well, I'm sure your "little swimmers" would given you're an EC crosser!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. This guy could have swum the English Channel
    By ddl in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 15th, 2015, 01:10 AM
  2. English Channel
    By Randy Nutt in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM
  3. english channel blogs
    By swimthegoodfight in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
  4. English Channel?
    By gabrieljbolanos in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM
  5. English Channel
    By Randy Nutt in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 13th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •