Thread: Are there "swimming deserts" in the US?

Blog Entries

Are there "swimming deserts" in the US?

I've been pretty surprised to find how little connection there is between my local community and the Masters community. I joined USMS just recently, and am far from familiar with the swim world or with the USMS for that matter.

When I first looked over the list of pools, it seemed pretty sparse. (I was swimming at an outdoor pool and only started looking for other options when I realized it would be closing for the season). But as I have done some research on my own, with Google and so on, I have found a couple of other pools, and yet it seems they are focussed on school-age swimmers. I'm not too surprised at THAT, but what is shocking is that there are a couple of Masters organizations around my region, but it is basically as though my county dropped off of the map -- seems there's virtually nothing, here.

Now, I am not really confident I could be active with a Masters program, myself. I am still new to swimming, I never swam competitively and I'm in my sixties now. But I wondered whether for some reason, there are places where Masters swimming just isn't a "thing." (We do have some "food deserts" around here, too - places where there is no fresh food grocery outlet within reasonable distances. I'm not sure the two correspond, though)

Very Active Member

Re: Are there "swimming deserts" in the US?

I looked on the USMS places to swim and found a long list of choices based on your profile location. Hope this helps.

http://www.usms.org/placswim/mapsear...te=MD&units=mi

Blog Entries

Yeah. There are PLENTY of places to swim, in my area (although, on that is listed as "12 miles" from Bowie MD, shows up on Google directions as *20* miles away -- I don't lack for pools.

But what I was puzzled by is that Masters swim is invisible at most of the pools. I occasionally see very focussed lap swimmers in the pools. If I can catch one of them before they dash off, maybe I am just going to have to ask them. Maybe this just isn't a place where people usually try to be sociable.
    Just enjoying swimming for fitness and relaxation, in Maryland

There are definitely swimming deserts in the US. We have a vacation home in Arkansas. Arkansas has fewer USMS registered swimmers in the entire state (145) than our masters team in Houston (195).

Very little here in Hampton Roads. Most all are YMCA connected. Only a couple of coaches.