Thread: Sorta-kind swim related, what to wear home?

Blog Entries

Sorta-kind swim related, what to wear home?

I am a newbie, and I'm in a swim class that ends around 8:30pm. And we have seasons where I live, so it's starting to get chilly at night.

After a lesson, I grab a shower, and I like to use a body lotion after drying off, to keep from feeling dry and itchy all over. But then I want to get on the road home (I'm about 20 minutes from the pool by car). I find I don't much like trying to get leggings, or even most skinny jeans, on. I feel like I really want some fleecy sweatpants, or joggers, or something, and a hoodie, since my hair doesn't dry very fast, either. (I use those microfiber "Turbie twist" things but a hood will probably feel good over it, as temps drop).

What sort of things do you find coziest, if you also "commute" from pool to home or office? If you have suggestions where you've shopped for them, too, that would be terrific!

I had a few pair of velour yoga style boot cut pants, that I wore pretty much OUT, for Pilates classes. I'd love to find more of them, but it's kind of proven difficult so far. I am not too keen on wearing things splashing "Juicy Couture" across my body, even though I guess that's the design house that launched the whole velour "track suit" idea.
    Just enjoying swimming for fitness and relaxation, in Maryland

Re: Sorta-kind swim related, what to wear home?

Sweat pants go on easy and are good for keeping legs warm. They also wash easy after body lotion get onto.into them.

Blog Entries

Yep, that's just what I've been thinking, Orca. They work really well in my budget, too (leaving more room for kickboards and toys!) Thank you!

If MD is like chicagoland - it's about to get and stay COLD & windy !!!!!

Blog Entries

Funny you mention wind. We have predictions for 50 to 55 mph winds tomorrow. I guess MD is sometimes like Chicagoland! So far it's been a very mild to warm fall, but, I have a feeling, like you say, it's on the verge. I've been getting spoiled, wearing flip-flops on the way to and from the pool!

Very Active Member

My faves are yoga pants or sweat pants and a large sweatshirt. Since I swim at the butt-crack of dawn, I pick clothes that are also easy to throw on as I roll out of bed. After swim practice, I go home and change into work clothes.

Blog Entries

I've always laughed at what swimmers wear to early morning practices - both kids and adults. It sort of reminds me of the Wal-Martians where people are wearing anything that's warm and comfortable, not necessarily fashionable or even matching, to say the least. I see kids all the time coming in with PJ bottoms and whatnot. I'd say, wear whatever makes you comfortable and if you decide to stop somewhere on the way home, something mildly appropriate for public. LOL!

In winter, I'll wear my parka, the nearest sweatpants and UGG boots to the pool. I avoid cotton because it takes forever to dry and sometimes it's still damp the next morning when you get ready to go to the pool. Too cold!
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Blog Entries

Before I started swimming, I would never be caught leaving the house without a shower and my hair all hair dried. I also did not own a single pair of sweat pants (it was either jeans or yoga pants). But since swimming, I've converted. In summer, I would wear a tshirt, basketball shorts and flip/flops. On slightly colder weather, I would be in sweat pants, sweat shirt and Sketchers slip ons. When it's really freezing, sweat pants, parka and uggs. My "commute" is a 20 min drive, so I drive home with my hair wet. If it's too cold, I may cover my head with my hoodie, but I usually don't.

My in-laws got me the most comfortable sweat pants in the world! Its from Canada, a brand called Roots. It's lined with some material inside and made for winter wear. It is so warm. It's like the uggs of sweat pants. Amazing...

Blog Entries

Count me in on wearing what is EASY to grab and pull on, as well as things that are cozy (in cold temps) or cool (in hot temps)! Ssumargo, those Canadian sweat pants sound really lovely!! And, I have a pair of those skechers on my list.

I don't expect I'll continue these late night (for me) swims. The class I am in is great, but that nighttime hour is kind of the downside. At least if you swim in the early morning, you have the chance it will be getting warmer, when you leave! So far I have been comfortable enough, and I think I'm still working hard enough during the lessons, that I'm relatively warm for a while, afterward.

My pool visits have almost all been during very quiet times -- I barely ever get to see what others are wearing to and from!

Flystorms, one of my considerations IS that there's a grocery store on the way to my "home" pool, and I like being able to duck in and pick up fresh things for our next day's meals! So yeah, halfway presentable is necessary lol.

I'm going to give some of my yoga pants a try, too, jpetyk. I just need to figure out how to really get my legs dry, because pulling stretch things on over skin that's still kind of damp, is a pet peeve I have. Maybe I am rushing too much to get back on the road.

We swim year-round in an outside pool here in Florida, where the water is 80, but the air temp can be in the 30's or 40's during the winter months. I like to have something on deck that's easy to pull on when I hop out of the pool at the end of practice.

Most of the time it's some cotton sweat pants and a hoodie. They're loose fitting enough that they're easy to pull on over a wet/damp body.

On colder days I'll also take my swim parka which is easy to put on and super warm.

I only live about four miles from the pool, so will wait to get home before I take shower and get cleaned up.

Blog Entries

Wow, I wish I were that near my pool! But your temperature differential is the inverse of mine! The pool where I usually swim is kept quite warm, but the air temps get cold.

However, Monday night, at the pool where I'm taking lessons, when I got OUT of the pool, I regretted not bringing a dry towel on deck with me. As I entered the locker room it felt like there was a draft of very cool air. Once I made it to the locker and shower, it was fine but it's the little hits of cold that I don't seem to expect.

I usually just wear my speedo home underneath some basketball shorts and a t-shirt. I'll leave in flip flops. It's Arizona, so the weather permits me to dress in shorts and flip flops all year round

Blog Entries

Yeah, flip flop season has most definitely ENDED, here where I am lol!

Quote Originally Posted by f1refl1es! View Post
    Yeah, flip flop season has most definitely ENDED, here where I am lol!
    I’ve never lived outside of Arizona so I wouldn’t know haha.