Thread: Sarasota Fla. relocation

Participating Member

Sarasota Fla. relocation

I am interested in relocating during the winter months to Sarasota Fla. to be close to the USMS organization HQ and the camaraderie of other passionate swimmers. Any recommendations regarding locations to live, places to swim (pool and open water) and paddle sports will be appreciated. I enjoy the many waters of the NY Catskill mountains and hope I can do so around Sarasota.

Re: Sarasota Fla. relocation

There are two Masters program here in Sarasota: the YMCA Sharks Masters and the Tsunami Masters, who swim at the county run Arlington Aquatic Center. The Sharks are a more structured, competitive group who have been very successful competing on a national level, while the Tsunami's are a less structured, eclectic team comprised of competitive swimmers, triathletes, non-competitive fitness swimmers and beginners. Both have good folks.
    Lots of open water opportunities with the Gulf of Mexico. The Shark Masters have a Saturday morning open water group that swims at Siesta Beach and the Sarasota Storm Tri Club also has regular open water swims.
    Sarasota Bay and Benderson Park (site of the recent World Rowing Championships) are popular spots for paddle sports.
    Places to live are dependent on location and budget.
    Sarasota is a great place to live and work, I've been here for 31 years and love it.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
    Mark

Participating Member

Thanks for the heads up, especially regarding the two varieties of the Masters groups. On the surface, I am more of a Tsunami type, I will use this as a starting place. Are you active in workouts etc. with either group?
    Swim long and prosper!
    Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm a member of the Tsunami Masters. We practice from 6:00AM to 7:30AM Monday through Friday and 6:45 to 8:00AM on most Saturdays (Saturday practices can be dependent on swim meet schedules or other events at the pool).

Don't have to call ahead, just show up and introduce yourself to someone on deck. $50/month or $7/day for drop-in.

Our coach usually makes out a couple of different workouts to choose from: one that is IM stroke based, and a different one with longer distance sets for the triathletes. It's also OK if you just want to do your own thing.

I really don't like to say one group is better that the other, just different personalities, so to speak. I've got some very good friends in both groups. The Sharks post their daily workouts here on the blog page if you want to take a look at what they do on a daily basis.

Hope this helps.
    Mark

Participating Member

Thank you Mark,

As a Masters coach I too like to create different level workouts for the participants. Needs and abilities of the participants vary so I like offer swim plans that can be adapted to the swimmer.

As the winter in the Catskill mountains of NYS gets colder and snowier my wif and I will plan a visit to Sarasota with a few swims at the Arlington Aquatic Center as a priority.

Again, thank you for the replies. It is not just the answers you provided but the welcoming nature implied in your post that will motivate me to become a snow bird that will find a roost in the Sarasota area.

Swim often. Swim hard. Repeat.

Peter