Thread: Super Bowl LII - Who's gong and Y?

Blog Entries

Super Bowl LII - Who's gong and Y?

There are eight teams standing and only two will get there. Who do you think and why?

I think the Eagles will get by the Falcons as home dog, despite the loss of their starting QB (Wentz). They need Foles and the D to step up. The Vikings will knock out the Saints, but a close game and maybe not. Never under estimate Drew. The Eagles would have the Vikings (or Saints) in Philly and would need two upsets in a row without their starting QB. Unlikely. But I'm in Philly, so that's who I'm going with.

I think the Steelers will beat the Jags and the Patriots will beat the Titans. But then what? It would be fun to see the Eagles and Steelers in a cross state rivalry (maybe not so much for the rest of the US), but I think the Patriots will prevail at home. Should be a great game.

Eagles - Patriots!
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Blog Entries

Re: Super Bowl LII - Who's gong and Y?

I actually agree with you all all parts, Sojerz. I think that the Bills would not have had a chance against the Steelers but the Jags will give them a better game (despite losing). The Pats should take care of the Titans and with homefield take out the Steelers.

The Eagles will be ok without Wentz and take the flight out of the Falcons. My question will be the Vikings and Saints...Drew is on fire and their D is really stepping up. But I do think that the Vikings will squeak out the victory.

Eagles-Pats in the big game...repeat of 2009. No Mcnabb this time around
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

AFC is pretty easy... as much as I dislike the Patriots, they are far and away the best team. Unless Antonio Brown magically gets to 100%, then the Steelers might have a chance. But Shazier's injury hurts that defense a lot. I can't see the Titans or Jags putting up much of a fight, unless that Jags pass rush can get to Big Ben, but a good dose of LeVeon running and a screen game should negate that.

NFC is tough... Foles looked pretty incompetent against the Raiders, who are not known for their defense. Vikings have that defense but Keenum even as well as he's played at times this year is still a wildcard. The Saints and Falcons both look like they are peaking at the perfect time. I think it's between those two. They both have varied offenses (two complementary running backs and a QB who's great at spreading the ball around) and opportunistic defenses. I'm going to go with the Saints though because I trust their defense a little bit more.

Pats - Saints.
    400 IMer in another life.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Taking a knee on this one. National Felon League is not a topic of conversation for me any more.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Very Active Member

I agree that the Patriots are and Achilles heal for the Steelers. So, therefore, I will watch the Super bowl for the commercials and cheer for whatever NFC team makes it.

Blog Entries

OK - 3 out of 4 picks wasn't bad this past weekend. The Eagles D came up big and what you can say about the end of the Vikings and Saints? Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

I'm sticking with Eagles and Patriots in the Super Bowl LII, but don't expect either to have a walk in the park next Sunday to get there.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Blog Entries

Wow. I was just way off. I didn't think the Falcons' offense would get shut down and I guess I wasn't expecting the Jags to be that good even firing on all cylinders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    Wow. I was just way off. I didn't think the Falcons' offense would get shut down and I guess I wasn't expecting the Jags to be that good even firing on all cylinders.
    The Falcons 1st and goal with time at the end of the game could easily have gone the other way. I think the Eagles D is better than most people give credit (they didn't play that well coming down the stretch and maybe just let up a bit). They were rested and it got cold in Philly which could have been factors too. So not way off. Can the Eagles do it again as a home dog? Possibly, but it will be close.

The play that ended the Saints season was a total freak - not even Keenum could believe it. That game also could have gone either way right up to the last play. So not way off.

I didn't see or hear any of the Pitt-Jags game, but based on the Titans game, it seems like the Pats are up to it for another Super Bowl run.

Blog Entries

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz View Post
    I'm sticking with Eagles and Patriots in the Super Bowl LII, but don't expect either to have a walk in the park next Sunday to get there.
    You called that one.
    If someone had suggested that the Eagles would put up 38 points against the Vikings I would have wondered what they were smoking!

Blog Entries

For sure. Seems like Foles has cleared out all the cobwebs, and the D played like they did at the beginning of the season. Incredible game and season. Just need one more like that to knock off the Patriots.

Blog Entries

Pats 28-24.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_213705.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	11459
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

Well, that was one heck of a football game.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Maybe the Eagles defense was "resting" so they could be fresh for the final Patriot drive

All evening long I was sayin', "when is the D gonna show up?"
    I figured they would go in at half time, make some adjustments, then shut down the Pats in the second half. When the Pats came out, received the kickoff and marched the ball right down the field I pretty much gave up on the Eagles. I told my family, "I don't see the Eagles winning this game. The Patriots can move the ball at will." Fortunately the D got it done when they absolutely had to. Still, 1100+ yds of total offense, really? Insane! Was that a football game or an offense skills exhibition? 'glad the birds came out on top though!

Blog Entries

The whole Eagles season was story-book, and particularly the ending game in the Superbowl. I'm not sure why, but I had a sense by the middle of the season that they could get to the game.

When Wentz go hurt, it still seemed possible, but somewhat less likely. Foles is a good QB, but he'd had very few snaps going into the playoffs. He shed the rust and they adapted to his capabilities. The Vikings game was a statement that the Eagles were coming to play, and that they were a talented and hungry team and they were able to overcome adversity.

Football games seem to have moments (often more than one) when things turn for and against. As one of the announcers said, for Brady 2 minutes is like a month. And those last two minutes did seem like a month. Even with a 8 point lead it seemed like it might be snatched away.

Pro-football is huge in Philadelphia and the City and the fans have been waiting (not always so patiently) since 1960 for a championship - I hope this Superbowl LII championship with the parade and feeling of success carry the city forward for along time (or at least until we get a shot again next year).

What a year and what a final game. In swimming terms, the Superbowl ending reminded me of Jason Lezak's swim in the 2008 Olympics 4x100 relay.

Blog Entries

A great game...the Eagles had what was needed for the win.
    ..<))><