Thread: Coach doesnít want me to join

Coach doesnít want me to join

Hi all,
    Iím relatively new here and would love to count myself among you. Iím having a bit of a problem. I keep trying to join my local masters program but the problem is that the coach doesnít want me to join. I have expressed a lot of interest in the program and while Iím not really interested in doing this for the competitive aspect I have always enjoyed swimming as a means of exercise. Iím a bit overweight and out of shape but I want to use this program for exercise and to do something that I love. Iíve been told that she (the coach) is very competitive and itís a tough program but surely they have to understand that everyone starts somewhere. I would normally have just taken this in stride and taken my business elsewhere but this location is really the only feasible option in my area. Has anyone else had an issue with this? What should I do? Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Re: Coach doesnít want me to join

Can you swim the minimum, distance that the team recommends to join? Some teams have a "pre -team" to bring swimmers up to a distance and knowledge level that would fit into a team practice so as to allow you and others to get in a good workout?
    Ask the coach if this is an option.

I don't know what part of the country you're in or if lane space is at a premium, but this exclusionary, hypercompetitive attitude goes against the mission statement of USMS and is exactly what puts off new swimmers. Our team has a spectrum of abilities ranging from national record holders/champions to those who are beginner swimmers and only complete a fraction of the workout. All are welcome in our program.

A competent coach can also fit a slower swimmer into a workout. For instance, you may be starting last in a lane and swimming 50 yards on the same interval that the faster swimmers are completing 100 yards. As long as you are aware of where you are in the lane in relation to the other swimmers and practice good lane etiquette, you should be able to fit into most workouts. You may want to ask the coach about options such as that.
    Last edited by Karlene; January 24th, 2018 at 04:12 PM.

Very Active Member

I kind of think both "sides" of this have some validity to consider. While yes, I am inclined to think that the whole mission of the Masters program is to just encourage adults to swim and all of that, I also am very familiar with a coach's desire to establish a culture, and to cultivate it, and shape the team around that culture (I'm the board president of my kids' USA Swimming team). Now, our team nor our coach will ever tell anyone they are not welcome, but the coach does want a level of commitment from the kids, and our surveying the swimmers show that our swimmers are much more interested in excelling at that level than what is reported as typical. It could be that the team there has enough swimmers of that mindset to be on solid ground, and that is how they want to be.

As a solo swimmer, I will say that before I joined here and started following the authored workouts, I put in the time at the pool to get in better shape just by doing laps (in my case, between 6-8 sets of 500s, alternating with free and breast/back combos). Following the authored workouts definitely kicked up my conditioning a notch. Have you thought about trying to condition yourself a bit before joining a program? Perhaps if you can do that, and then go back to the coach, he'll see you have a level of commitment that can fit within the team's culture.

I have not encountered this attitude in upstate NY. Our masters team welcomes anyone, even total beginners. It's run by the YMCA, so they must accept all comers. If the coach wanted it to be exclusionary, she would need to go elsewhere. It's not a competitive team by any means.

I'm the oldest and slowest (and fattest) and most days cannot complete the full workout in the hour allotted. Butterfly is extremely difficult for me. At best I can complete 100 IM, a 200IM is beyond me. Others who have joined at times needed basic remedial stroke work and started out even slower than me. As far as I can tell, half of them never enter a swim meet at any distance. I've done a few at 50y, 200y, 400y, even a 1 mile open water, coming in last place, but happy to finish. The coaches are very supportive.

And James 87 never replied to our answers ??? Was he just "trolling" ?

Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trolling or not, he provoked some useful discussion about the mission of masters swimming. I'm very lucky w my coach. He's able to raise the bar for each group, fast or slow, knowing what we could reach for... like, the swimmer who does, say, 1:30 for 100 might be challenged to aim for 1:25. Or, for me, the push is to keep my 100 under 2:10 and work on 2:05. (Older snd slower! Still love the chase!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk